Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks for the info never heard of the blisters before. That helps a lot. I've rode in almost every brand the problem is they were newer boats out of my price range. Phoenix, ranger, skeeter, champion and a older javelin didn't like it much. Yes I'm wanting 19 or bigger if u can find one

Don't be in a rush. Take your time looking. Definitely stayaway from FICHT engines. Too many have blown up. BassCat is a quality product too. Don't be afraid to ask for a test drive and to have a mechanical check of the engine. ZX225 Skeeter boats up until about 2008 or so are great riding boats. Quality started to fall off around 2008.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

3. Member
    Cat or a ChamP. There should be quite a few of them in your price range.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

4. Member
    Thanks guys.

5. Member
    Also take a look at a Bee line you can probably get a very nice one in that price range seeing there not made anymore.

I have owned Tracker, Javelin, Nitro, Ranger and now Champion... Like yourself, I'm not a brand specific person. I am also not a performance boat guy. I look for 3 main things on a used boat: A good trailer (I do prefer tandem), good motor and little to no wood. All the electronics, trolling motors, etc. are easily upgradeable so I leave them out of an initial search. Quality is somewhat subjective - I ran a Nitro 911 CDC for 5 years and was very pleased with the quality (wish I had not sold it), had a Ranger 488VS and had no complaints and now my Champ 206 Elite is a fine boat as well. I'm not well heeled enough in boat design to understand the difference in the various hulls and such - I just fish from them :-)

I am fortunate that I could write a check today for a new Ranger or Skeeter if I wanted to but if I were looking to buy a new boat or a almost new boat today I would probably search for a 2014 or newer Nitro Z21 with low hours. I think that would on average deliver the most value for my dollar unless I fell into a crazy deal somewhere. Definitely picky about the motor though!!! Merc Optimax (EFI is rock solid but getting a little long in the tooth) is what I look for in a 2 stroke, Verado or Yamaha in a 4 stroke.. I'm not comfortable with the Evinrudes but I admit I have never owned one..

Now - If I was buying a boat where I was concerned about maximum resale value, I would look for a Ranger, BassCat or maybe Skeeter..

There are good deals out there for sure.. My buddy and I discuss the Pros / Cons of buying an obvious tournament boat as the assumption is the Pros beat the snot out of them... I would consider one but would be very cautious...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

7. Member
    I have been following a Facebook page called Bass Boat Sales and there has been some great boats on there. Very active page with a lot of new listings daily.

Quote Originally Posted by theryano311 View Post
    Currently looking for a boat, first I must say I'm looking at used only less then 20k. I'm leaning towards a ranger but that is strictly off of what I've been told by some others opinions. The ranger numbers have me lost 519 is the one I last looked at and like it. Not opposed to any brands but would like to get the most boat for my money. My main concern is stability while fishing and I like a large front deck. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Don't rule out some of the new tin boats that are being manufactured. The aluminum boats are really making great strides and are priced cheaper. Also, don't have some of the problems that are being seen in glass boats.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    I have owned Tracker, Javelin, Nitro, Ranger and now Champion... Like yourself, I'm not a brand specific person. I am also not a performance boat guy. I look for 3 main things on a used boat: A good trailer (I do prefer tandem), good motor and little to no wood. All the electronics, trolling motors, etc. are easily upgradeable so I leave them out of an initial search. Quality is somewhat subjective - I ran a Nitro 911 CDC for 5 years and was very pleased with the quality (wish I had not sold it), had a Ranger 488VS and had no complaints and now my Champ 206 Elite is a fine boat as well. I'm not well heeled enough in boat design to understand the difference in the various hulls and such - I just fish from them :-)

I am fortunate that I could write a check today for a new Ranger or Skeeter if I wanted to but if I were looking to buy a new boat or a almost new boat today I would probably search for a 2014 or newer Nitro Z21 with low hours. I think that would on average deliver the most value for my dollar unless I fell into a crazy deal somewhere. Definitely picky about the motor though!!! Merc Optimax (EFI is rock solid but getting a little long in the tooth) is what I look for in a 2 stroke, Verado or Yamaha in a 4 stroke.. I'm not comfortable with the Evinrudes but I admit I have never owned one..

Now - If I was buying a boat where I was concerned about maximum resale value, I would look for a Ranger, BassCat or maybe Skeeter..

There are good deals out there for sure.. My buddy and I discuss the Pros / Cons of buying an obvious tournament boat as the assumption is the Pros beat the snot out of them... I would consider one but would be very cautious...
    i couldn't agree more. I just wanna good fishing boat. I want a big front deck and steady on the water while fishing. The motor is anither thing I'm seeing, like someone else said some motors effect the price a lot. One I found that I liked a lot has a evinrude 200 hp on it and that worries me. I'm not getting much into the different hulls either just want a good all around boat. Thanks again

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Don't rule out some of the new tin boats that are being manufactured. The aluminum boats are really making great strides and are priced cheaper. Also, don't have some of the problems that are being seen in glass boats.
    I love some of the tin boats but that's all I've ever had and now Wanna fiberglass

11. Member
    Nitro for sure is the most bang for your buck. That being said a friend of mine is in a pissing contest with them over cracks in the transom on a '14 Z7. Might be one of those get what you pay for things?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lgividen View Post
    I own a Triton. It is a good boat. From the talk on the forums they are having real quality issues currently. The E.P.A. changed what resin could be used and it caused several hiccups in boat manufacturing. The boats in your price should not be affected and all manufacturers from 1999 to current are using no wood, so that helps. A big point to consider is engines. I have the dreaded FICHT (Evinrude). It has been a great engine for me. Most have had serious issues with them. Read all you can on the forums as a boat with a ficht will not bring what a merc or yami will bring. My best advice on engine brands is to find a good mechanic close to you and buy the brand he is best at working on. Again, do your homework and you will have a lot of enjoyment from your new ride.. B.T.W., we are gonna need to see pictures!
    This x 100..need to fully understand what motor yr purchasing.20k turns to 30 after one mistake..

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theryano311 View Post
    I love some of the tin boats but that's all I've ever had and now Wanna fiberglass
    Stick with tin. Life's much less stressful.

Anyone besides Bass Cat offer a fully transferable lifetime hulll warranty?

15. Member
    Make a list of the features that are important to you and then prioritize the list. Once you've done that go shopping without regard to brand. Have a mechanic go over the rig, including the trailer with a fine tooth comb. Make sure and leave yourself a buffer of money for used boat repairs. Your boat is out there!

As far as I know, BassCat is the only company offering a lifetime hull warranty. Blazer offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner, an option to transfer it to the second owner for a fee. Blazer makes a good boat and they are fast. Rangers are great boats, but dollar for dollar, a BassCat is a better performer and the quality is unsurpassed by any other company. You should be able to find a good used BassCat Pantera in that price range. With a 200, they will run in the high 60's and low 70's, depending on engine and load. It's a 19 foot boat but fishes larger. It does not have the super wide deck up front, but has plenty of room for most folks, unless you ALWAYS fish two people from the front deck. It's easy to learn to drive, has plenty of storage, and is very stable and dry.

I currently own a Blazer 190 ProV....175 Yamaha HPDI, dual axle, aluminum wheels, stainless fenders, boat cover, MK Fortrex, 2 HDS 5 Gen 2 with LSS2 module, all connected via Ethernet. It's a 68 MPH boat solo...perhaps more if you can drive it and with the right prop. Boat is in great shape and has never been stored outside. I'm thinking of selling it because I'm getting old. I'd take 19,500 for it and that's firm. Engine is in perfect shape, with low hours (a little over 100), and has been fully serviced. Color is White/Crimson Flake/Silver pins. Good looking boat. The front deck is similar to a Bullet...you can't keep a dozen rods at a time on it, but 6 or so is not a problem. Both motor and boat/trailer are 2010 models. PM me if interested. 100% fiberglass...NO wood. LED lights on trailer.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

17. Member
    The biggest key to me is expect it to take a year to find "the boat". I was looking to spend $25k in 2015 and went and looked at about 10 different boats and test drove 3. 1 broke on the water. 1 was not what the customer stated and the third I bought. I ended up spending 30k. but that was for a 2012 puma with 250pro xs great electronics hyd jp and motor only had 128 hours on it and over a year of warranty left on it. I could not pass it up. So there are awesome deals out there and mine took about a year. I can sell my boat now and get the money I paid for it. Resale is important!!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Here's my 2 cents worth:

#1 - Ranger (very best quality)

#2 - Bass Cat, Champion, Legend and Triton (all great quality and very close to the Ranger)

#3 - Newer Nitro and Stratos (quality ok/marginal but that is usually reflected in their price)

#4 - Older Nitro, Javelin and Tracker (low quality)

Everything else, not sure of.

Personally I would look at the brands in #1 and 2 lists that are in good condition and in your price range.
    Last edited by LennyB; 01-14-2017 at 08:05 AM.

19. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Ranger better quality than Bass Cat? Why would say that? Are you talking old school Ranger or post Johnny Morris Ranger?? Pre Genmar Triton, pre Brunswick Triton, or JM Triton? I mean how can one even begin to say this about boat brands who have been sold multiple times, have new management and processes, and in some cases are built in different places. Bass Cat is right where it always has been. Phoenix is under the same management they started with but are fairly new as a name. Legend is where they have been right?

Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    Ranger better quality than Bass Cat? Why would say that? Are you talking old school Ranger or post Johnny Morris Ranger?? Pre Genmar Triton, pre Brunswick Triton, or JM Triton? I mean how can one even begin to say this about boat brands who have been sold multiple times, have new management and processes, and in some cases are built in different places. Bass Cat is right where it always has been. Phoenix is under the same management they started with but are fairly new as a name. Legend is where they have been right?
    I just visited the "2017 Ultimate Fishing Show" in Novi MI last night and my review/opinion was based on what was at the show last night (1/13/17). Most models were 2016 20 and 21 footers. I went there to go through the models inside and out. The models I looked at were: (Bass Cat Cougar, Legend V20, Nitro Z21, Ranger Z520 and Z521, and Triton TRX21). I eliminated the Nitro because it just had to much thin plastic in the compartments and the trailer was made with a tubular frame. The rest of the boats mentioned I thought were all very good boats showing quality construction and materials. If I had say which got my vote as being overall the best, it would go to the Ranger. But again, all looked to be great fishing machines. Just my opinion ~ Lenny B
    Last edited by LennyB; 01-14-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast