Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I had the exact same budget and came from a glass boat and just bought a Ranger rt188. Looked and researched for 2 years. Too many potential problems (blisters!) with glass in 20k range. My opinion anyway, yours may vary...

2. Member
    BOAT.... fiberglass or tin stands for... Bust Out Another Thousand. As the others stated take your time and you'll find what your looking for in your price range. Remember some folks will stick it to you if you're not careful. You can polish a turd and make it look good? That being said, I highly recommend that you have the engine checked out by a reputable company before the purchase.

Ive owned two new skeeters and opted for the Z9 three years ago and I personally haven't had any issues with it thus far. And I beat the crap out of it on a regular basis. Good luck on whichever brand you decide to purchase and take it out for a good long test ride.

Not sure where you're from but you might want to check out. Louisiana Sportman.com

3. Member
    I see you are in NC. Anglers Choice has open houses at each of their dealerships in January and February. They usually have a large selection of new and used boats esp at Martinsville. This would give you a chance to look at and discuss multiple manufacturers and models.

You can buy a new tin for 20
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

5. Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys it really does help. I'm still looking for the right one, this may take a while. 20 is my limit but If possible I'd like to save what I can to out towards poles and electronics.

6. Member
    Keep looking you'll find the right one.

I looked for several years and found the one I wanted, knew it as soon as I saw it. Was in the price range I wanted to pay. Older boat yes, 2004, but originally from a northern state and had very low hours on it, less than 25 per year. Bought off of a private sale. Took to get service done and the mechanic told me he had never seen a cleaner motor.

7. Member
    Ranger Tr 177 40 th anniversary 2008. Smaller biat but very nice, one owner and garage kept. Looking tomorrow this could be the one.

8. Member
    If a boats rodlocker can't swallow an 8' rod......non-starter for me

9. Member
    I'd try to buy fairly new high quality tin boat if you wanted something quick and easy.
    Otherwise you just have to get out a kick some fiberglass. I will say a lot of boats in the northern states seem to be in better overall shape than if you go south...but prices are also higher.
    A couple tips...check out the battery box and how well it looks cared for...if you see crusty connections and it's very dirty you may want to move on. Most of "good" used boats I've purchased have had clean/organized mechanical box. I would also perform a compression check. I will say there are a lot of overpriced/overrated boats...

From my knowledge a good value with wide deck would be a Champion 198 & 206, Triton TR-21 or Stratos 201. A solid one can be had for under 25. All three decent boats with champion having lots of wide open storage and slightly larger front deck and it also handles better and is more fun to drive, but it also sits higher in front a catches more wind. Actually the champion 203 might be a better comparison to the Stratos and Triton as it;s skinnier and faster.
    Hard to find a wide newer Ranger or Bass Cat for under 25k.
    Last edited by magnumb; 01-18-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

10. Member
    This would be my biased choice:) Not sure the front deck would be wide enough for you.

99 Champion 203
    08 225 Evinrude
    E-Tec HO

Listed 8/13/16P
    24 Fury, 25 Tempest Plus, 10" manual jackplate, Motorguide 82#, Lowrance X96 on bow, Elite 5 at console, Champion cover. Interior is original and in excellent condition, exterior also in excellent condition. Used only 4 times in last 2 years. Kept in heated garage year round. Motor has approx.232 hours.
    Call Jeff: 563-542-8356 or email for more details.
    Jeff W - IA
    Dyersville, IA
    $19,000. $17,700.
    2005 206

11. Member
    This also looks decent.

05 Stratos 201
    Pro XL
    05 225 Evinrude
    E-Tec
    Listed 9/21/16P
    Detwiler jackplate, MinnKota TM, HDS9, Elite7, custom travel cover.
    Call Jason: 304-541-0948 or email for more details.
    JWorkman- AL
    Pell City, AL
    $18,500.
    2005 206

IMO, Ranger is NOT what it used to be.

If you want the best construction, attention to detail, and the best customer service, BassCat wins, hands down. Nothing else compares. Lots of good boats out there, but if you want the boat that has the edge, it's a BassCat. Ranger, Triton, Blazer, Nitro...they all make decent boats. Google and find YouTube videos on how they are built and you'll see...
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

13. Member
    These threads crack me up.

OP make a list of what's really the most important to you then find a copy (without looking so hard at brands) that meets as many of those features as you can in your budget. You're buying a used boat that'll need parts like seats, pumps, dash panels etc... Once you light on it try calling the manufacturer for said kinds of parts. That's if you want it to stay looking pristine. If you plan on keeping it forever amen and re-powering plenty of companies make non OEM replacement parts. Don't forget the trailer. You'll have your answer real quick! The best deals don't last long so have your money pre qualified or on hand. Go ahead and look up those numbers of any brand you may be considering. Good luck...there are LOTS of quality rigs out there for 20K.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    IMO, Ranger is NOT what it used to be.

If you want the best construction, attention to detail, and the best customer service, BassCat wins, hands down. Nothing else compares. Lots of good boats out there, but if you want the boat that has the edge, it's a BassCat. Ranger, Triton, Blazer, Nitro...they all make decent boats. Google and find YouTube videos on how they are built and you'll see...
    The OP is talking about older boats in the 20k range, not NEW boats in the 60-70k range.

15. Member
    Take your time and do your research. I looked for a long time until I found the exact boat I was looking for.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

these models I say look at and go from there.

Ranger 518 - 520. It all depends on year.
    BassCat. Not sure what models are what size but you can't go wrong with any of the bassCat models. Find the one that fits you.
    Champion. I think the 198 would fit the bill or the newer stratos 200 elite
    Stratos 200 or 201. I think you have to look at the 02 and up models.

That's where I would start. 03 and up Evinrude FICHT engines are fine. Any merc EFI engine is a great choice. The ox66 Yamaha engine ran great too. Early Opti engines had their issues I think 02 and older.

I picked up my 04 Ranger for 22k and it was equipped pretty good. I don't think you have an issue finding the right rig for the price you want. Keep your eyes open, search Craigslist as well as the dealer sites...I found mine at anglers choice. They are out there. Have fun and don't be afraid to travel for the right boat. Good luck!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

a 01 518 with a 08 opti popped up for sale by me for $15K.

Nobody ever mentions Gambler/Sterling anymore, but from a quality perspective, top notch, huge fishing platforms and outstanding performance. A lot less of them on the market, but a nice used 2100 can be found fairly easily, right here on this board...

I had a 1999 Intimidator and loved it, quality throughout, performance and handling... Factory support after the sale is important to some, but on a pre-owned boat, unless it's bass cat, you're pretty much on your own, and warranties only fix very specific items anyway...

Good Luck with your search...

04 Gambler 2200
    03 225 Merc EFI

Listed 3/3/17P
    27 SS prop, Motorguide 109#, Lowrance LCX15, X52. Limited Edition. Bought boat from original owner and had everything gone through end of 2015 and only used it a few times since. New tires. 250 hours on motor. Nice boat!
    Call Michael: 302-841-2290 or email for more details.
    Webby5383 - DE
    Milford, DE
    $18,000.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123