Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me select a Bass Boat

Currently looking for a boat, first I must say I'm looking at used only less then 20k. I'm leaning towards a ranger but that is strictly off of what I've been told by some others opinions. The ranger numbers have me lost 519 is the one I last looked at and like it. Not opposed to any brands but would like to get the most boat for my money. My main concern is stability while fishing and I like a large front deck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Banned
    This should be interesting.

3. Member
    Going pretty fast to be trolling!

4. Banned
    Look at the "Boats for Sale page" here, within your price range,options and desires.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Skeeter View Post
    Look at the "Boats for Sale page" here, within your price range,options and desires.
    This.^
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    My last Ranger was a 1999 519 DVS with 225 Yamaha OX66. Loved the boat! You should be able to pick one up in your price range and probably a few years newer depending on engine and condition. Nice thing on the 519 is 1999 was the last year they rated them at 225hp. 2000 models were rated at 200 and the 520 was rated for 225 but only a couple of inches difference in length.

Lots of quality boats out there but Ranger is a solid choice for your price point. You could go smaller say 18' boats and get something newer but depends on the water you fish and the size of boat you want.

I would think Skeeter, Bass Cat, Champion, Stratos, Charger could all be good choices if you find the right deal.

7. Member
    I switched from a NON Ranger to a Ranger strictly for the wider fishing platform. I'm now on my 2nd Ranger. The first one was used and served me extremely well. My current 520C was a demo. There are a lot of good used boats for sale. You can easily tell if the owner took good care of it. In your price range you should do well. The 519 is a great size boat!

8. Member
    I think your money would go a lot farther with almost any other brand. Nothing against ranger, I really wish I had one but they hold their value very well. You can buy a newer bigger boat for the same price weather its a skeeter, triton, stratos...ect.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lgividen View Post
    Going pretty fast to be trolling!
    Not sure what your trying to say but this is a serious question and a big decision for me and trying to quality information from people that know. If your not trying to help me please move along.

To the other guys I appreciate the input. I've owned several aluminum boats and this will be my first fiberglass and just wanna make the right decision, I know it's a lot of personal preference but I'm not picky. Just a quality boat in my price range.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I switched from a NON Ranger to a Ranger strictly for the wider fishing platform. I'm now on my 2nd Ranger. The first one was used and served me extremely well. My current 520C was a demo. There are a lot of good used boats for sale. You can easily tell if the owner took good care of it. In your price range you should do well. The 519 is a great size boat!
    Thank you, the one I found seemed to be very good taken care of. Also a one owner. I looked at the boats fo sale page and there mostly a long distance from me. Some great looking boats though

11. Member
    If you are serious I totally APOLOGIZE!! There are so many on here that try to say if it isn't a Ranger it isn't a boat.. That being said you have received some very good advice. You have to decide what is important to you and your lakes that you fish. Ranger has the best resale of the brands mentioned. The bigger boat you can afford usually the bigger water you fish comfortably. A shorter boat fishes standing timber a little easier. Length, age, brand, engine size, electronics and other options will all determine how much boat you can get for your money. The good news is, if you do your homework, ou can get a boat that serve you well for many years in your price range. Best of luck in your search!

12. Member
    If you are serious I totally APOLOGIZE!! There are so many on here that try to say if it isn't a Ranger it isn't a boat.. That being said you have received some very good advice. You have to decide what is important to you and your lakes that you fish. Ranger has the best resale of the brands mentioned. The bigger boat you can afford usually the bigger water you fish comfortably. A shorter boat fishes standing timber a little easier. Length, age, brand, engine size, electronics and other options will all determine how much boat you can get for your money. The good news is, if you do your homework, ou can get a boat that serve you well for many years in your price range. Best of luck in your search!
    thanks I appreciate that. Like I said I'm not set on a Ranger. A matter of fact I like them all so far. Nitro seems to be the most affordable, but I assume your sacrificing quality. I don't fish a lot of timber except when I make a few trips to Lake Fork. Thanks again for the help

13. Member
    I own a Triton. It is a good boat. From the talk on the forums they are having real quality issues currently. The E.P.A. changed what resin could be used and it caused several hiccups in boat manufacturing. The boats in your price should not be affected and all manufacturers from 1999 to current are using no wood, so that helps. A big point to consider is engines. I have the dreaded FICHT (Evinrude). It has been a great engine for me. Most have had serious issues with them. Read all you can on the forums as a boat with a ficht will not bring what a merc or yami will bring. My best advice on engine brands is to find a good mechanic close to you and buy the brand he is best at working on. Again, do your homework and you will have a lot of enjoyment from your new ride.. B.T.W., we are gonna need to see pictures!

14. Banned
    Actually some boats still had wood up until 2003 or 2004 (champion). For $20k (and I'm not being a *****) you best be lowering your standards on what to expect and what you're really gonna find. A boat in that range will be in the 2002-2005 year range and 2004 is when the EPA required the crap now used in the hulls.

15. Member
    I own a Triton. It is a good boat. From the talk on the forums they are having real quality issues currently. The E.P.A. changed what resin could be used and it caused several hiccups in boat manufacturing. The boats in your price should not be affected and all manufacturers from 1999 to current are using no wood, so that helps. A big point to consider is engines. I have the dreaded FICHT (Evinrude). It has been a great engine for me. Most have had serious issues with them. Read all you can on the forums as a boat with a ficht will not bring what a merc or yami will bring. My best advice on engine brands is to find a good mechanic close to you and buy the brand he is best at working on. Again, do your homework and you will have a lot of enjoyment from your new ride.. B.T.W., we are gonna need to see pictures!
    Evinrude problem was it a specific part that got hot causing the head to crack ? Just wandering because I heard that from a boat mechanic today. One boat I looked at had a 2006 evinrude 200 hp and it had been one of the few that didn't have that problem.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Actually some boats still had wood up until 2003 or 2004 (champion). For $20k (and I'm not being a *****) you best be lowering your standards on what to expect and what you're really gonna find. A boat in that range will be in the 2002-2005 year range and 2004 is when the EPA required the crap now used in the hulls.
    Found several in the 2006-08 range that I like. So are you saying boats made after 2004 are made sub par compared to pre 04 boats ?

17. Member
    i bought my 2015 triton 189 trx with 2 power poles and 2 998si and a 999 for just a few thousand more than your price range.. It's not the fastest boat, but is very stable fishing from the front deck. to me it seems a little bigger than it is because of the front deck.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by theryano311 View Post
    Found several in the 2006-08 range that I like. So are you saying boats made after 2004 are made sub par compared to pre 04 boats ?
    You looking at 18'ers or bigger? Anything after 2004 is prone to the risk of water blisters where the bunk boards sit. I'll see if I can find a thread that was discussed here.

This isn't the one I was looking for, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ight=Gatorbaks
    Last edited by grout-scout; 01-10-2017 at 07:45 PM.

TAKE YOUR TIME !! If you can fish in a few club or Pro-Ams or anything where you are the back-seater in as many different boats as you can and see how you like or dislike about each one. I've had 5 Rangers, but have ridden in "most" brands out there that I would even consider. Also think about how long you're going to keep this boat and will it have a good resell value. There's a list of what to look for in used boats here on BBC, read it 2-3 times and make yourself a checklist to take with you. Good luck and good hunting !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Check out what Basscat has to offer. I bought my first cat last year and it's been fantastic. Their build quality is amazing and if you check out their section on this board you'll read all Of the positive comments about their customer service. They honestly look after you and treat you like a company should treat their customer.

Check out the cougar and puma models. Both 20fters on the same hull but different deck layout. Fast boats and handle rough water well. I fish Erie/ st clair 90% of the time and have never had any issues staying dry. They also have a lifetime transferable hull warranty between owners on any defect for the life of the boat. Basscat should be on your list. Enjoy shopping

http://basscatowners.yuku.com/forums/66

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast