Talon + Brackets have arrived!!! Ready for Z19..

Yes, I'm going to mount and wire everything myself... Looking forward to learning something, hopefully not in too hard of a way... I would post this in the Power Pole/Talon forum, but thought I might try to spark some Nitro owner input from here... Anything I should look out for on this rig?
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

2. Member

Thumbs Up

Go on you tube watch a few videos.I've put two talons on 2 different nitros pretty straight forward. If installing 1 pole think about best way to run wires and assume that in the future you will add a second pole and want to make the install clean.

3. Member
    I put 2 12 foot Talons on last year by myself. Just take your time and follow the directions. Last thing I put in was the cutoff so when not in use I could kill the power to them. Highly recommended so they don't accidentally deploy going down the road. You are going to love em.

I haven't even opened the talon box yet, so is the cut-off something that comes with it? And did you mount that just near the battery? Makes perfect sense to have that by the way.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

5. Member
    It is not included when you buy the Talon. I bought mine at Amazon for like $15. So you hook up the red or positive to the battery. On the black or ground you cut it where ever it is convenient and insert the cut off. The other end goes to the negative on the battery. Mine is a dial that turns on or off. It just breaks the entire circuit.

Here is the one I bought:

1 X Marine Boat Battery Power Disconnect Switch, Heavy Duty Battery Isolator Switch

by Seaflo

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by born to fish View Post
    It is not included when you buy the Talon. I bought mine at Amazon for like $15. So you hook up the red or positive to the battery. On the black or ground you cut it where ever it is convenient and insert the cut off. The other end goes to the negative on the battery. Mine is a dial that turns on or off. It just breaks the entire circuit.

Here is the one I bought:

1 X Marine Boat Battery Power Disconnect Switch, Heavy Duty Battery Isolator Switch

by Seaflo

Hope that helps
    The disconnect you posted is just like the one I installed. However in a DC circuit I would break power on the positive side. If you install the disconnect on the ground side you have potential voltage going from the battery through the talon and stopping at the disconnect when the disconnect is open. If for some reason the potential voltage was to get ground introduced to the system it would complete the loop and become live. You want to stop the voltage before it has the chance to go through the talon so install the disconnect on the positive side. Kill it on the positive side so it there is no potential energy in the circuit that can become live.

Think about it like this...you have a garden hose that is on and water is flowing out the end. You can tie a knot in the hose and stop the flow. There is no water coming out of the hose but there is potential water waiting to come out. Now turn the water hose off at the shut off valve and there is no potential water waiting to come out.

Your Talon wiring harness will have a wire for the alarm. the wire is not very long so you may need to extend it. Use the same size AWG wire and run it to something that is hot when the key is on. Some people run it to a wire on the ignition switch and some run it to a wire under the cowl and get power. I have even heard of people getting power from the back of a gauge. There is multiple ways of getting power to the alarm wire but it must only be hot when the key is on.

here is a couple links that address the alarm wiring. if your running a Mercury the first link will be the most helpful.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=742185

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=504393

I've put two talons on 2 different nitros pretty straight forward. If installing 1 pole think about best way to run wires and assume that in the future you will add a second pole and want to make the install clean.
    Good point!!! Jim, question... Did you use the universal, adjustable jack plate bracket? If so, what was the approx. distance from the back of the boat, to the flag bracket that you went with? I haven't set mine permanently yet, but curious of a good staring position to at least avoid water spray, drag, etc. I have it mounted on the side of the plat as high as it will go, just wondering how far I should set it rear of the end of the boat. I'm aware of paralleling the flag bracket with the transom as well, which I need to do....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KCLOST; 01-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Good point!!! Jim, question... Did you use the universal, adjustable jack plate bracket? If so, what was the approx. distance from the back of the boat, to the flag bracket that you went with? I haven't set mine permanently yet, but curious of a good staring position to at least avoid water spray, drag, etc. I have it mounted on the side of the plat as high as it will go, just wondering how far I should set it rear of the end of the boat. I'm aware of paralleling the flag bracket with the transom as well, which I need to do....
    If that is a slidemaster you can put the top bolt through the top hole on the talon bracket and move the bracket up even higher. The bottom bolt will still use the slot in the Talon bracket. It might not matter as much on your boat but when I had a Z7 it helped my holeshot a little because of how much water the bracket can drag.

Here is how it looks

I Like that! How far do you have the "flag bracket" (end of the bracket where the talon bolts on) from the back of the boat?
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    I Like that! How far do you have the "flag bracket" (end of the bracket where the talon bolts on) from the back of the boat?
    I'm not sure how different the back of your boat is vs my Z7 but I had 3/8 to 1/2 between the the bolts closest to the sponson on a Z7 and back of the flag. I think the arm on my Z7 was angled a little towards the back of the motor with the flag in line with the transom. I'll see if I have pictures of that boat with Talons on it.

My Z7 was a rocket out of the hole before Talons. After talons it was pretty bad come summertime heat, low on gas and livewells empty.. Your boat isn't that much bigger than a Z7 and you've got 50 more HP than I did so it might not impact you like it did me. I went to a Bravo FS and it got my holeshot back to 3-5 seconds no matter what the load.

11. Member
    My boat is wrapped up for the winter but i belive mine is further from the back of the boat than yours. The flag portion i mounted parallel to jack plate. Also installed poles a bit higher than min height to avoid drag.

I don't have a photo of how close mine were. I'm not sure if the weight being back a few degrees or not will matter on your boat. My new boat has a 10 inch JP on it and I kept everything parallel to the transom even though I could move the angle forward quite a bit but it has a great hole shot so I can't see any reason for moving them forward.

This picture is right after I installed them. The 2 SS nuts at the bottom of the flag were the ones that I had close to the sponson when all the dust settled. The Talon brackets don't have much if any flex in them but I'd try to keep around 1/2 an inch between anything and your boat. If you have trouble getting the flag parallel to the transom try flipping the flag over. On my Gen 1 brackets it changes angles slightly. I think in that picture the arms are swept back as far as they would go, which I think looks better. I think they came forward 5 inches or so to get close to the sponson.

Oh. And you may know this already, but use the anti seize on everything. I know that and still forget it at times. Cutting off a 1/2 inch bolt sucks and they aren't easy to find at the big box stores in those lengths around here. Don't ask me know I know.

I do have a photo. I thought I did. I take pictures of everything. The talon is 4 inches above the bottom of the sponson. I later moved it up to flush with the bottom of the bracket it slides into. On my new boat the flag and part of the bottom of the arm are out of the water about an inch unless someone is on the back deck and I still keep them almost flush.

Ahh, I see that you did move the bracket up in that second pic... I guess I am in the right ball park.. I have mine (now) set at about 3" back of the sponson... On my home lake we have a lot of stumps, so I don't want it so close that I might flex the bracket enough to hit the boat if I run into one in reverse by chance. A little farther back won't bother me as long as I don't run into bad water drag on takeoff or turns. But I want it higher, so I'm going to remount it on the Jack Plate like you did... Awesome photos and help guys...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Well, just about wrapped up. Just need to install the disconnect switch and run wires. Very happy with the install up to this point. I agree, with the instructions and your suggestions to install the bracket as high as possible. This will help the talon to lay down flatter when using the tilt bracket, maybe never perfectly flat but closer to it. Thanks for all your help....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

16. Member
    Set up looks good! You'll be able to put the second one on in 1/4 of the time! Your gonna love it.