adding a temp gauge

i'm looking to add a temperature gauge to my 86 mercury black max 135 .... is there a difference between auto and boat gauges - as long as i buy a compatible sending unit ? are the threads / hole size pretty standard ? ... if i have to use a marine gauge, is there a difference between an i/o ( mercruiser ) and an outboard ?
    Last edited by ranger1882; 01-10-2017 at 02:38 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger1882 View Post
    i'm looking to add a temperature gauge to my 86 mercury black max 135 .... is there a difference between auto and boat gauges - as long as i buy a compatible sending unit ? are the threads / hole size pretty standard ? ... if i have to use a marine gauge, is there a difference between an i/o ( mercruiser ) and an outboard ?
    I have the gauge for a boat if you want it, you can have it just pay shipping from Florida, from one Ma$$hole to another LOL

3. Member
    sounds great bugman...is there a sending unit also?

4. Member
    sorry no sending unit, a marine shop was downsizing and I bought a whole panel of gauges for a boat and I bought them (10) for $25, he said they all work, they were Tach,fuel,volt,temp etc. just shoot me your addy and I will send it to you free of charge if you want it, if not no problem I can send you a pic if you want

5. Member
    sounds great... price is right - i'll have to find a sending unit, but i'm not sure what to look for - a pic would be great also...thank you very much

6. Member
    sent you an email through PM

7. Member
    gage is usualy 2 1/8 hole size/ outboards are diff than I/os
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    thanks joe....bugman, i dont know if you received anything from me... i'm not so good with technology

9. Member
    hey joe, i just realized when you were responding to my question about hole size you may have thought i meant the gauge - i was asking about the threads/ hole for the sending unit into motor block...is that a standard size ?
    Last edited by ranger1882; 01-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger1882 View Post
    thanks joe....bugman, i dont know if you received anything from me... i'm not so good with technology
    gauge on the way via UPS should have it by Monday, if it doesn't work sell it or give to someone else. I will PM you with tracking #

11. Member
    ok - i'll be watching - thanks again