Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a starter boat, but there are a few qualifying factors

Hi all, I'm looking for my first boat primarily to fish out of, but also to take my wife and daughter out on the water to relax. There are a few important considerations that are going to guide the kind of boat I need.

1. My wife uses a wheelchair so the floor of the boat has to be flat.
    2. Our larger vehicle has a maximum tow rating of 1500 lbs gross weight.
    3. It needs to have a single console (not in the middle) so my wife can drive it.
    4. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible while still ensuring I can purchase something that will be reliable for the next couple of years.

Those are my top 4 priorities. Bonus points if it has a casting deck on the front and a live well (I'd like to fish tournaments with it at some point). At the very least, a spot to mount a high bar stool-type seat up front. I really have no idea where to start other than to look at used boats. Speed isn't a big concern as this will be my first boat. I'm also not very concerned with aesthetics. Are there other things I haven't taken into consideration that I should...?

Thanks in advance!!!

Where to start is go look at aluminum boats at a showroom where you can see the variety offered easily. Next, imagine how you can build a wooden flooring in any of them to suit your needs.

Seems pretty simple to me. Your "qualifying factors" already painted you in a small corner as it is.

You have some tough parameters because of your tow vehicle. A 17' Tracker package weighs 1800 lbs. Add 200 more for gas and gear. You might be able to get a john boat to come in underweight, but you will be giving up a lot since you need to accommodate the family + wheelchair.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    You have some tough parameters
    That's an understatement! A boat that can accommodate a wheelchair(esp at the helm) is more along the lines of a custom(ized) boat. That and the fact that the OP doesn't have a vehicle that can tow a larger boat = nearly impossible imo.

5. Member
    Thanks for the input gents, I realize this isn't the easiest of parameters to work within. Towing capacity wasn't on the list of necessities when we bought our second vehicle so that's biting us a bit right now...

I was hoping a bass tracker would squeak in under that weight but I wasn't holding my breath either. Worst case scenario is we either pick up a designated tow vehicle (I wonder what year was the first year that a full size pickup was made with a cab and a half...?) and get an awesome boat, or find a wide tin boat with a side console and build a flat floor into it, maybe even a casting deck up front. With the second scenario the most likely at this point, any idea which makes and models would be good to start looking at?

Thanks!!

6. Member
    What vehicle do you currently own?

7. Member
    It's a 2010 GMC Terrain.

8. Member
    My wife has a equinox and its basically the same as the terrain. I couldn't imagine pulling a boat with it. How bout a pontoon boat? It would be best for a wheel chair and keep the pontoon on a slip.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystonekiller View Post
    My wife has a equinox and its basically the same as the terrain. I couldn't imagine pulling a boat with it. How bout a pontoon boat? It would be best for a wheel chair and keep the pontoon on a slip.
    That's a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Keystonekiller View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking...a used pontoon boat, kept in a slip at a Marina. I don't see finding a boat that could easily accommodate a wheel chair that could be pulled behind a Terrain. You could probably even mount a trolling motor on the front of the pontoon. Some pontoons even have fishing chairs mounted on the front. Don't know how old your daughter is but you could also easily pull a kid on a tube, wake board, knee board, or water skis behind a newer pontoon. I would think a 115 outboard or higher would be more than enough. We could pull teenagers on a wakeboard, knee board or tube no problem on my buddies 28 ft tri-tune with a 150 (that's a big pontoon boat).
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

Found this during a brief search

or more traditional pontoon

Last edited by dwbeck2; 04-26-2017 at 02:34 AM.
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

12. Member
    Eventually, a pontoon is in our future, just not yet. I hadn't considered a slip though, that might be the way to go right now... Hhhmmmm.

Also, my wife's wheelchair isn't what most of you are probably picturing. She's a collegiate wheelchair basketball player, also just recently retired from the Canadian Paralympic team. Her chair is only 22" wide at the outsides of the wheels, and she would easily be able to transfer from her chair to the drivers seat in a boat with a console. So with that in mind, I was thinking last night before I nodded off, an aluminum boat with an inside bottom width of around 44" and a console (as long as it isn't much wider than 20" give or take) would be a good place to start. I think I just need to do what Bass newb said and get around to a couple of dealerships and see what's out there. The only issue I see with that is it doesn't exactly educate me on my used options (we definitely can't afford a new boat right now).

Keystonekiller: it definitely isn't a powerhouse LOL, but it's what we have for now...
    So, does anyone have an idea of which manufacturers have a side console aluminum boat with a 44"ish wide floor...? Thanks guys!

Check Lowe boats and Xpress boats' websites. They sell aluminum rigs with floors already installed. You MIGHT be able to get one below the weight limit too. (When they list weights, don't forget you will need to add weight for the trailer, outboard, gas, trolling motor, batteries, etc.)

14. Member
    There are 16' pontoons - look on Ebay

I found this link. Maybe some good contacts and information on here. http://www.handicappedoutdoors.com/2...rsmen.html?m=1
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auam72 View Post
    There are 16' pontoons - look on Ebay
    And look on local craigslists

18. Member
    Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. After talking things over with my wife, I think we're going to look into renting a slip at the local marina and putting a small pontoon in there for now. She agrees about getting a bass boat in the future, but also that we would need to get a newer vehicle to replace hers sooner than later too. We'd ensure we can pull a bass boat with the new vehicle this time! Thanks!

19. Member
    I know how hard it is to try and fish and to do it on a budget. Fishing and budget are two words that are hard to co-exist. Lol. All that matters is getting some lines wet and creating memories.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

A jonboat with a 44" floor is not going to be real stable, and it will ride like a wagon. By far, I think you'd be better off with a smaller pontoon boat and set it up for fishing, if it's not already. MUCH more stable platform, and will give you a decent ride in rougher water/wakes.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast