Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger RT188 - advise a noob

Hello BBC,

I am looking into my first boat and have come up with specs below. I may still make some minor changes to the sonar units but this should put me in the ballpark of around $26k.

I am sacrificing the larger engine to upgrade the electronics. If you could answer any of the questions after my spec list, I would greatly appreciate it. Any advice about my choice in HP or electronics would be helpful too!

Ranger RT188
    Mercury 50ELPT Fourstroke

MINN KOTA ULTREX 80 LB 45" US2/i-PILOT LINK
    Humminbird 360 Imaging on Ultrex mount
    Humminbird Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N (bow mounted) or the Helix 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N
    Humminbird Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N (console mounted above steering wheel) or the Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N flush mounted (i think it fits..)

Network hub for i-Pilot,360 and 2 Helix units

Optional Features:
    On-Board Charger 6 X 3
    Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 each)
    Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra)
    Automatic Bilge Pump Replace Standard
    Retractable Trailer Tie Downs
    Spare Wheel

1. What benefit will adding a 4 Inch Manual Set-Back Plate for the 50hp Mercury have?
    2. Do you recommend trailer brakes? Can you explain when/why they are useful?
    3. Can you tell me what benefits I will see with the prop upgrades (aluminum, stainless) for a 50hp Mercury?
    4. Will two TM batteries and the cranking battery power the electronics in my specs list? (80# TM, 360 Imaging, 2 Helix, Merc)
    5. The Ranger website says the 50hp Merc on the RT178 (1075 lbs) will run at 28-32 mph. Would 26-30 mph be a good estimate for the 50hp on the RT188 (1180lbs +1ft length)?
    6. Any plans of Humminbird releasing a 360 Imaging in HD or MEGA?

Thanks in advance!
    -Z
    Last edited by bigfruits; 05-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.

2. Member
    Post this in the tin section and you will get a much better response. I have a Triton 17TX which is essentially the RT178 paired with the Mercury 75hp 4 stroke. I maxed out the engine and wish I could go bigger. I would highly encourage you to max out the engine. You can upgrade electronics later. If you decided to upgrade your engine, it would be very expensive. It would kill your resale value as well. I'll attempt to answer your questions.

1. I've don't have a jack plate on mine but would not consider it if you're getting the 50. I'm not sure how much speed you would gain.
    2. Trailer brakes depend on your tow vehicle. I have this option and tow with a Sierra. I don't need it but rather have it in case I needed to slam on my brakes. Having them also saves my truck brakes in the long run.
    3. SS will give you a little more speed but is unforgiving if you hit rocks.
    4. Yes, but I would upgrade to group 31's. They come with 27's from the factory if you equipped your boat with them.
    5. Don't know
    6. Don't know

My Triton was my first boat purchase and I had a ton of questions. I suggest you read the tin section if you have not already. PM me if you have any other questions.

If you put a 50HP engine on that boat it's going to be a dog. The MINIMUM would be a 75, and I would highly recommend maxing it out to a 115. Yes, it will cost more, but if you're financing, it won't make a big difference in your payment. Even if you are paying cash, you will NOT be happy with that 50 HP motor. It would be fine on a Bass Tracker Panfish model, but why hang that off the back of a boat like the RT188? A jackplate would be useless with the 50. With the 115, it will help significantly. Be wary of those published mph numbers...they are meaningless unless they also tell you how the boat is loaded when they did the testing. With two people, gear, full tank, full livewells, the batteries, and the bigger TM, I'd be surprised if the boat ran 25mph. And you'd be running the engine wide open ALL the time. You can always go slower with a larger engine, and get better fuel mileage to boot.

Depending on your tow vehicle, you may or may not need trailer brakes. If pulling with a full sized truck, something like a Tacoma, or a larger crossover SUV type, you probably won't need the brakes.

ALWAYS buy a stainless steel prop and get a cheap aluminum for a spare. You don't need SI imaging on the bow unit, IMO. DI is enough. You need to be going about 4-5mph for the side imaging to work worth a crap.

If you ever want to sell the boat, you'd have a hell of a time with that 50 on it. You're going full tilt on all the rest of the equipment on the boat, why be cheap on the main propulsion for the entire rig? Not being critical, 'cause it's your money, but you will be very disappointed in short order if you don't put a larger engine on the boat. You asked for opinions, so there's mine. 98% of people who are experienced bass fishermen would likely agree.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

4. Member
    I would buy the bigger engine and upgrade your electronics later.

I would never buy certain things from the factory. Rod straps, transom tie downs etc. they charge way to musty for them. You can buy them cheaper and install them easily yourself.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Do not try to save money by getting a small motor, you will regret it

I dont have trailer brakes but i tow with a full size truck

i put 3 group 31 agm's in my rt188. Never hurts to have some extra capacity. But they are heavy

Don't sacrifice on the motor for better electronics. Get at least a 90 and preferably 115 and worry about the electronics later. You will not regret getting the biggest motor you can on the Ranger...just IMHO...
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

7. Member
    Everyone here is right. Get the biggest motor you can afford and downsize the electronics. The motor is the most important thing and you wanna be able to push yourself where ya need to go. Your daily boating will greatly improve if you have a bigger motor. I had a 17.5 smoker craft that came new with a 75 mariner. (94) used that boat fine for 15yrs until i repowered with a 115 opti. I couldnt believe the difference! Was one of those moments where you realize what you been missing. You dont have to be a speed freak. But the improved handling and the get up and go on rough water days or stormy conditions was a welcome upgrade. Pay up for the motor. Its worth it. You can always get a deal on slightly used electronics to save some money. And in the event you resell, the buyer always will want the max hp on for the boat rating.

8. Member
    thanks everyone. i appreciate the advice.

i do not like buying things twice so the electronics will stay - although i have learned that i do not need two MEGA units since i can network them so im thinking of getting a Helix 12 MEGA CHIRP SI G2N for the front and a Helix 10 CHIRP GPS G2N for the console.

i will go ahead and upgrade the motor to 60hp or 90hp. I figure if im looking at the larger size 75, i might as well get the 90 as they are the same size/weight. the thing is that 75% of the waters i fish are electric only or restricted to 10hp. i also do not fish tournaments so top end is not a priority for me.

i also do not plan on selling the boat, at least not before the engine dies!

thanks for the advice, not going 50hp for sure.

Get the Helix 12 Mega Chirp SI G2N for the console, not the bow unit. 90% of the time you will be idling while using the side imaging, and I would mount the transducer on the jackplate, if you get one on the boat. You only need the Helix 12 Chirp DI for the front. In order for SI to work well, you need to be idling at 3-5 mph. Your trolling motor is not going to get you there, plus turning it will give you useless information.

Again, do not even consider the 60 hp...and I'd bet money that the price difference between the 90 and 115 is not more than 1K, if that. The difference between a Yamaha SHO 150 and 175 is about 400 bucks.

Nobody PLANS on selling their new boat, but things happen....you might want a larger boat, you might just decide you don't want the boat for whatever reason, etc. It will sell 10 times faster with the maximum HP on it. The 90 won't kill the resale, but check on the price difference....you might be surprised since they are the same block.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

10. Member
    thanks, Midnight Rider. I spoke with a rep at Cabela's and they said the do not offer the 60 (probably a good thing from the advice im getting!). the 115 is 2k more than the 90 on the website.

My plan is to mount the SI transducer on the transom for viewing mostly on the console unit. It is my understanding that if i network a non-SI/non-MEGA CHIRP G2N to the MEGA CHIRP SI on the bow, i can view the SI in "MEGA" detail on it.

The larger 12" on the front will be used mostly for 360. 360 and the Ultrex/iPilot are the only things im 100% sure my boat will have :)

If i ever decide to upgrade one of the units, the 12 will be moved to the console and the new unit will replace it.

Please correct me if anything I said does not make sense or is incorrect. I appreciate the honest opinions I have received.

Not disputing what you said, but when I look at prices for the 90 4 stroke and the 115 4 stroke (not the command thrust model, which is more for saltwater applications), the price difference is around 600 dollars or less. Add a manual 4" jackplate to that and its an additional 200 bucks. So I think the person at Cabela's is not being completely truthful with you. A lot depends on where you are buying the boat. If I go to the Ranger site and build a 188, it is true that the 115 is 2K more, but that is factory pricing and not dealer pricing. I looked at two or three different sites that sell Mercury outboards and the price difference between the 90 and 115 was less than 600 on all of them. The jackplate just gives you a little more lift and makes setting up the boat a LOT easier. You can also mount the SI transducer in a transducer saver on the bottom of one side of the jackplate and not have to have more holes in your transom.

It's not my money, but if I wanted to save a few bucks to offset the engine, I'd put the Helix Mega 10 Chirp SI G2N in the console and if you feel that you need the size in front, go with the 12 DI, but honestly, I think the 10 on the front would be plenty big, unless you have vision issues. Looking at the 'bird factory outlet store, there is a BIG difference in price between the 10" and 12"...like $800. There's your motor upgrade right there. $800 is a lot to pay for a 2" larger (diagonally) screen, when your face is going to be 2-3 feet from the screen at the console. The bow is different, as your face is as tall as you are away from the screen. I personally have the Helix Chirp 7 SI GPS G2N on the console and the DI version on the bow mounted on a RAM mount so it puts it about 6" higher, and is easily removable for storage in a locking compartment. I'm 65 years old and my vision sucks, but I have no problem seeing detail on my screens.

At any rate, I'm merely offering my opinion, as I just got through buying a new BassCat Sabre FTD and went through what you are doing trying to figure out what I REALLY needed, as opposed to what I thought I needed. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new boat!!

Edit: I know you see the pros on TV with these HUGE screens, two at the console and two up front....but, they make a living fishing, and for every one you see on TV, there are literally thousands who never make it. Tournament fishing is fun in a club setting, or a local charity tournament. For me to even attempt to compete with any pro in the big time stuff would be like burning money.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    What about a 90 or 115 2 stroke?

13. Member
    thanks, guys!

the rep at cabela's did not give me a price, he just said that the RT188 only came with 20, 90 or 115hp. because of that i figured the only Merc 115 they offered was the command thrust as listed on the website. he should be getting me a quote soon. should i be able to order the boat with any motor i want? if so i will shop elsewhere.

i am leaning towards the 90 right now. i will ask about a cheaper non-command thrust 115.

i have to have a 12" 160 image up front. no compromise there. no interest at all in tournament fishing - stress and competition is the last thing i want on my day on the water but i think its great for the sport. im pretty sure i will never have more than two units on my boat.

i was thinking of a 7" helix on the console but then i thought that a 10" might be a little better for the guy in the back seat.
    Last edited by bigfruits; 06-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.

14. Member
    It's your boat and you are the one who asked for advice. Everyone made a suggestion and all told you to get the largest engine. But even after their advice about the largest you seem to be determined to go with something different. This is why I never comment on what to buy are not to buy on a boat. Good lucky on your purchase and I hope the motor size don't come back and bite you in the azz.

Just so you'll know, the command thrust lower unit has a lower gear ratio...on the RT188 there is no need for it. It gives larger, heavier boats a better hole shot...think Bay Boats or Saltwater boats with twin engines, etc. A standard 4 stroke 115, with the right prop, will pop the 188 right up on plane. Also realize that while the Ultrex trolling motor is a nice feature, it is really only useful if you fish large lakes and want to stay on something well off shore.

Also, while the 2 stroke engines by Mercury are great motors, it is my opinion that the future of outboards is 4 stroke technology. Yamaha does not even offer a 2 stroke engine in the USA any longer. Mercury won't be far behind that trend. Yamaha/Mercury are head to head in the bass boat outboard market. Suzuki is also a good motor, but has odd gear ratios in their lower units. Honda is starting to break into the high performance market as well. The next few years will be interesting for outboards. But to future proof a boat bought today, I would only consider a 4 stroke.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentR View Post
    It's your boat and you are the one who asked for advice. Everyone made a suggestion and all told you to get the largest engine. But even after their advice about the largest you seem to be determined to go with something different. This is why I never comment on what to buy are not to buy on a boat. Good lucky on your purchase and I hope the motor size don't come back and bite you in the azz.
    hmmmm. I started wanting a 50hp, I am now looking at a 90hp and said I would inquire about a non-command thrust 115. you said you never comment, why did you decide to now?

17. Member
    He didn't make a recommendation. Just commented on your apparent lack of taking the unanimous recommendation. But, you have indeed started looking at a larger engine. However, the advice is to get the largest engine available. Which is very good advice.

18. Member
    Is two grand really a big deal if you are financing a new boat? Its only a couple of extra months of payments..

Remember this as well...You can always run a 115 at 2/3 throttle or less. And it would probably get as good or better fuel mileage than either the 50 or 90. You'd be running the 50 wide assed open all the time, I promise. The 90? Perhaps not, but the cost difference is not significant enough to matter.

The person fishing in the back of the boat will still be able to see a 10" screen, or even a 7", well enough for their needs, depending on how you have the screen set up. You MIGHT have to put the console unit on standby mode anyway, so that the two transducers will not interfere with each other.

Depth/Fish finder technology is changing so fast that in two or three years your units will be considered "old"...just like a smartphone or a computer. Lord knows what will be on the market by then. I would save a few bucks on the electronics in order to get the larger engine all day long. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those...
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

20. Member
    thanks, Midnight Rider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast