Optimax 135 Moisture in Port Rail

I know this has probably been over before.
    My 2008 opti has some moisture out of the air shrader valve, one dealer is adamant that this not normal and another said that it is normal for the air compressor to make some moisture.
    As a precution I replaced the reed plate assembly and seals in the compressor and still seem to have the moisture.

The motor ran and started great after I changed this, but after about 30 mins on the water would not start again unless I had someone on the Key and repeatedly pressed the air shredder valve (where I noticed the moisture again) and motor once again seemed to idle again ok.

Port Rail is new, have not replaced tracker valve in starboard rail.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Harro; 01-13-2017 at 05:17 AM.

2. Member
    is normal for some moisture to be present when depressing scrader on opti/now fuel is not normal any would indicate leak in system
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Ok thanks
    I was just figuring the build up of water was making it hard to start without depressing the air shader valve.
    Perhaps it Is the tracker valve on starboard rail?

The other thing that concerned me was that moisture was evident pretty much straight away after changing out the seals, I thought some time may be needed for this to happen, could the head be warped on the compressed and not allowing the seals to do the job.
    funny how it started and ran so good for the first 30 min and then wouldn't restart after I shut it down.

4. Member
    if its a lot of water yes seal on comp could be bad/ on a humid day moisture will be worse too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I am perhaps working with two seperate issues
    1/leaking gaskets possibly from warped compressor head (since I replaced with new gaskets)
    2/ possible bad tracker causing hard starting

Do you know why rapidly depressing the air valve will assist it starting, can this also help to diagnose the problem?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    if its a lot of water yes seal on comp could be bad/ on a humid day moisture will be worse too
    +1. Relative humidity tells you how much water vapor is in the air. Your compressor is "breathing" the same air you do and there is no way to prevent it. It's a fact of life with air compressors whether sitting atop your outboard or in your garage.

Probably best thing to do at this point is tell us what your fuel/air pressures are. You'll need a fluid dampened, dual gauge set to do this.

What were symptoms before the port rail and compressor reed plate assy/seals were replaced? What lead to determination those parts needed to be replaced?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I replaced the compressor reed plate assembly because the chambers were fairly corroded and the water in the air side. I believe this motor may have injested some water by a previous owner.

We had has some issues with faulty air injector, and I came across a new rail complete for a great price and the symptoms the motor was showing it was cheaper and easier than just changing a few parts in the rail out.

After installing reed plate assembly, new port rail and checking and re-installing tracker valve on starboard rail, the motor water tested great, smooth, full rev range, Starting as it should.

After 30 mins and thinking how clever I was !!! It went back to the no start without pressing the air shrader valve while cranking the motor, once started would stay idling on the hose.
    That is why I keep going back to these rails.
    At this point about the only part I haven't changed out is that tracker valve on the starboard rail.
    Its along way for me to get to a dealer with those gauges, so I have had to trouble shoot without.

8. Member
    Managed to just check the air side with a tyre gauge, have right around 80psi.

9. Member
    Just an update
    Manages to borrow a gauge and checked the fuel side and it seems to be around the 90psi, but what I did notice was the pressure dropped right away after shutdown fast.
    I also noted that if the motor does not start I get a squirt of gas out of the vent hose on the top of the VST.
    Is this causing the starting issues?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You likely do have a problem, but to tell ACCURATELY, you need a dual-pressure (liquid or glycerin dampened) gauge set, to monitor BOTH the air and fuel pressures at the same time.

Record results at:

-Idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown.

Also... It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor