115 Opti-Swivel Pin, lower yoke and mounts replacement

2008 115 Opti with a little over 1000 hours. Despite rinsing with fresh water 100% of the time and routinely spraying with CRC Ccorrosion has caused these parts to wear and now there is excessive play and need to have it repaired. That Merc calls this a saltwater motor yet these parts aren't stainless is ridiculous. I called Mercury and they don't make a stainless replacement part for my motor, but I think they do for the v6's which makes no sense to me.

Local shop is quoting $2600 for the whole job which is about $500 more than anticipated. Bought some used parts of ebay and trying to confirm they will work. My serial # is 1B723350. Used parts I purchased are 99661A 2(Steering Arm Swivel Pin Black) and 99661A4(Lower Mount). They came off a motor with serial #0D076778 which apparently was a 1991 90 hp. Trying to confirm these parts will work w/o issue. They came off a freshwater motor and appear to be in good shape. Can anyone help me confirm these parts are a match. Any reason I should avoid used parts here?

2. Member
    Being that you can buy a new swivel pin and yoke for about $400 (you still need to buy new bushings, seals and retaining ring for the used parts), I think I would have trouble installing 25 year old parts on a labor intensive job such as this.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Member
    The savings on the parts I bought used vs new is about $400 IF THEY WORK. Well aware new bushings, seals, fasteners, gaskets etc will be needed. Can you elaborate..what would be the potential problems using aged parts if they are the same dimensions and material and have no corrosion?

4. Member
    if they are the same part and no corro. the should be fine ill have to do some research on the p/ns
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    new sw pin for yours shws shows a35 p/n / lay parts out and do some measuring
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Thanks Joe. I won't be able to lay out and measure until the motor is apart(I don't think). I'm trying to make sure I have the correct parts ready before getting to that point. You would think this would be a pretty easy question for Mercury customer service, but you'd also expect stainless steel on a "saltwater" motor

7. Member
    yours calls for 99661a35 I looked at all suppersecion on p/n a2 and it says it doesn't go to a35 I am dealer so I m checking through their web site/ id still measure it hope this helps joe

8. Member
    Bump...to see if anyone else can shed some additional light on this part # ?