Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to buy a stratos 294 evo....questions.

Hey guys. For you all that have a 294 with a single axle, how have the trailer, axles and tires held up? A 19fter with a single axle scares me. Im upgrading from a javelin 389 with a single axle and it did fairly well. Is the dual axle worth the upgrade. I occasionally travel from arkansas to kentucky once a year or so, but 99% of the time im 30 minutes from the boat ramp.

Also looking at jackplate options and whats recommended for a 200sho. 6, 8, 10"? Thanks guys

2. Member
    i have had my 294 for tens years now never had any trouble towing with the single axle but once when i lost a bearing and it destroyed the spindle i was wishing I had a dual axle so i could have limp home with it. I wouldn't have another boat without dual axles.

Thats what I'm worried about. My dad has a Javelin Renegade 20 and it came with a single axle. He talks all the time about wishing it was a duel axle. I'm just wondering if this is a "deal breaker." It'd be a shame to have to turn down a boat due to the trailer.

4. Member
    I wouldn't let that be deal breaker, to easy to add another axle.

5. Member
    my 20ss has single axle--never had any issues, I stay on top of tires and bearings maintenance which helps--would love to have a tandem now though
    Last edited by mactlman; 12-28-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    Thats what I'm worried about. My dad has a Javelin Renegade 20 and it came with a single axle. He talks all the time about wishing it was a duel axle. I'm just wondering if this is a "deal breaker." It'd be a shame to have to turn down a boat due to the trailer.
    I too have an R20 with single axle. Ordered it that way and have not had an issue ever. Still on original bearings too.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I have had my 294 since May of 14. First 2 seasons, no problem. Early this year I had vibration issues. One tire had wear damage on inside. It was recommended to replace tire and align the axle. That helped with the vibration, but it would still vibrate a little above 70 mph. This was until my leaf spring broke and fender cut into tire. Shop I was towed to only had 6 leaf springs and I still wanted to go fishing. The 6 leafs are much better and no problem with vibration. Stratos did reimburse me for the repair. Personally I like the looks of fiberglass dual axle fenders, but I opted gor the easier to move in the garage single axle option.

I have a 6 inch jackplate but hear 8 inch is better for handling at top end speed.

Thank you all for the replies! Bigbite that is exactly the issue we've had with the R20. The fender would cut into the tire anytime we hit a bump and eventually the springs were replaced and beefed up. If I order one I'll probably go with a dual axle but if I find a good deal on one I may bight on a single. Thanks guys. Im on the lookout!

10. Member
    I have a 294 with a 200 SHO. I have the dual axle trailer and it is worth it. I had a 18 footer with single axle and my 294 evo pulls easier than that 18 footer. Also Stratos will not warranty a 10 inch plate. I have a slidemaster 6" on mine and it does fine. I know a few guys running 8s getting maybe 1-2 mph more but the 6 inch works well

11. Banned
    the largest plate they will warranty is an 8

Good to know. Thank you.

13. Member
    I have a single axle 294 and have had no problems. All lakes I travel to are around 1 hour to get to with windy backroads. I've taken it 2 times now on 300+ mile trips to the ozarks without any issues. Just make sure you have the proper hitch height, so the load is balanced.

14. Member
    Ive got a 13 294 and if there is anyway possible i would get the dual...ive had blowouts on a single and dual and the 294 is too heavy for a single n my oppinion
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

That's what I was concerned about Justin M.....thank you.

16. Member
    I hope i didnt steer u away from the single axle cause if u fish aroumd home that wouldnt be a problem but if u travel alot i would want the dual...i live n alabama and fished the TBF national champ this year on table rock and aith the dual its nice to run 75 and not have to worry were as with the single its just not safe imo
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

There is a 294 in stock in Alabaster, AL...I think they would probably make you a really good deal on it...16 model.

18. Member
    I love my duals, makes travel so much better. Honestly my first trip i took it on was from ohio to kissimee and taken so many places amd 0 issues. other than, the tubes that the wiring goes thru suck lol.

19. Member
    I've had a 294 with a dual axle for 4 years now and what I have found is that it is easier to back up because it doesn't cut so quick. Has made it a lot simpler to back up my driveway than with the last boat I had with a single axle.

bassmasterffej....thanks for the heads up. I just sent them a message and hope to hear something back in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast