Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

USA Looked at a couple of new charger 210's today

I must say they are a sweet looking ride.. I crawled all over one. The only think I didn't like was how high u sit in it. I felt very tall sitting behind the drivers seat. I did love the switch panel, and the led lights everywhere. Overall if I was considering a new rig I'd definitely consider one.

Great looking boats that are all Champion

Usually, when a new model is based on an older hull, that tidbit is downplayed, but not in the case of the Charger 210 Elite. Its hull is a Challenger 210 hull, last built in 2008, and that fact is embraced by the Dorris family, which has been building Playcraft pontoons for 43 years. The reason is simple: this 210 hull is thought, by many, to be one of the best bass boat hulls ever built. Challenger had the misfortune of being part of boating giant Genmar, which went Chapter 11 in 2009.

http://www.boatingworld.com/boattest...ger-210-elite/

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Interesting mis-fact. Challenger was never a part of Genmar. None of the info on this site, where it refers to Challenger, is correct. The 210 was born from Champion. I cannot imagine why anyone would have posted this as Challenger info. Challenger went south years before Genmar acquired Champion, Stratos and Ranger. If you substitute the Champion name in place of the Challenger, you would have the correct info.

BTW...the Champion 210 Elite was built thru 2010 in M'boro, TN and continued as the Stratos 210 Elite under PE after PE bought out the Genmar bankruptcy. 2009-2010 time-frame. Last built in 2013 and now being resurrected by Charger.

the info was off Jay Kumar's BassBlaster email

9. Rookie FLWer Jonathan Henry running a Charger.

Here's more on the Charger 210 Elite, based on the Challenger 201 hull.

You are absolutely correct Lea:

Just looked at the boatingworld website and found it to be corrected...found this tidbit at the bottom: Editor’s Note: The original version of this story indicated the Charger hull was based on a previous Challenger hull, but that is incorrect. This version of the story correctly notes that the Charger was based on a Champion hull.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

7. Member
    My understanding, which may or may not be correct, is that the 210 is pure Champion, born of corrections to the 206 hull and made a bit longer. I also think Challenger had nothing to do with anything regarding the 210, to my knowledge.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    My understanding, which may or may not be correct, is that the 210 is pure Champion, born of corrections to the 206 hull and made a bit longer. I also think Challenger had nothing to do with anything regarding the 210, to my knowledge.
    Right on both points, Kemosabe. Jason Bragg had told me that Alan Stinson worked on the 206 hull to improve performance, with the result being the 210.

Interesting story on BassFan about Jonathan Henry running a Charger 210 in the FLW this year. Indicates Kelly Power is Charger's Business Development Manager.

http://www.bassfan.com/docktalk_arti...r#.WHVqjlUrKUl

It has seemed to me that several new Charger dealers have sprung up since the 210 launch.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Glad to see the site was updated to say the Challenger info was incorrect.

10. Member
    Yep Reggie, dealers are jumping on the bandwagon. Early returns seem to indicate the 210 has been a hit, especially for a smaller company with regard to how many bass boats they normally make. What they really need IMO is some serious top notch marketing but I do understand that it is very expensive to do so.

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Okie...I hope you see that the reference to the Challenger was wrong...

Not your fault. The fault of the folks who wrote the article...but have since corrected it!

12. Member
    Seems like a lot of new rigs make it feel like you are sitting on them, rather than in them. When they said the old 181s and 191s were the bass boat version of a sports car (someone said it, I didn't make that up), it had to be partly because you really sat more down in it, and I like it. Man, sat in a fancy new Nitro a few months ago at BPS, felt like I had the wheel in my lap, and I'm not a tall or big guy. Times change I guess.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

13. Member
    The Champ 210 steering wheel was so far from the seat that little guys like me had a hard time driving them. The cockpit so to speak was huge. I knew Charger moved the seat forward but wasn't aware they raised it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Seems like a lot of new rigs make it feel like you are sitting on them, rather than in them. When they said the old 181s and 191s were the bass boat version of a sports car (someone said it, I didn't make that up), it had to be partly because you really sat more down in it, and I like it. Man, sat in a fancy new Nitro a few months ago at BPS, felt like I had the wheel in my lap, and I'm not a tall or big guy. Times change I guess.

I suppose that's so you can see over the top of a 12" LCD screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Glad to see the site was updated to say the Challenger info was incorrect.
    hahaha I emailed Jay at @ BassBlaster the moment I say the article and told him it was incorrect , and gave him the correct information . I hate it when people do not get their facts straight on any issue , he did reply saying he hates trusting other media sometimes

Lets keep it straight

2009 ELITE 210

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Good deal!

I hope Okie has seen the corrected article!

Doh!
    off Jay Kumar's BassBlaster email this week...

Seems boatingworld.com got the Champion, Charger, Challenger thing wrong [they've corrected it], and since I excerpted what they wrote, I did too. Stupid of me assuming a boating media source would get the facts right..??

Anyhow, Kelly Power emailed me this: "We are building true Champion boat hulls and decks, not Challenger copies."

Sorry man. There you have it bass peeps!

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    And I had it all wrong.

It is quite a compliment when an old school, existing, Bass Boat manufacturer starts to morph into another old school Bass Boat company that is never to be again and starts a fire in the big water boat class is proof of really special hull(s) and why so many of us would not own anything but a Champion! Actually I don't know if it's ever happened before!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95202DCX View Post
    It is quite a compliment when an old school, existing, Bass Boat manufacturer starts to morph into another old school Bass Boat company that is never to be again and starts a fire in the big water boat class is proof of really special hull(s) and why so many of us would not own anything but a Champion! Actually I don't know if it's ever happened before!
    Flattery at its finest!
    Champion 206
    250XB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast