Thread: Gun safe

Gun safe

I am sure this has been discussed. What do you guys have? What should I look for or stay away from?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I am sure this has been discussed. What do you guys have? What should I look for or stay away from?
    Spend the money and get a Fort Knox.. Problem solved....you're welcome.

3. Member
    Depends on your needs and wallet.
    If your house gets robbed, it's one in a million that they will spend the time to get really try to pry into it. The ones that weigh 200-300lbs will meet the needs of most people. If your concerned with fire protection,just find one that fits the fireproof rating you desire. If you do go on the cheap end and get one that is basically sheet metal, just bolt it to the floor. My brother had one he didn't bolt down and the theif just stole his whole damn safe that had 5 guns, checkbooks, and passports.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    Figure out what needs that need to be met.

Do you need a safe to keep them safe from kids?

Do you want it fire rated?

Do you want is water/flood rated?

Do you want full 1.5-2" locking bars?

Do you want it almost impenetrable?

If the answer is YES to all the above.......You will spend some serious $$$$ on one to get it right, but you will have what you need ot be protected.

Keep in mind if you have well over $10k in rifles/guns, than spending half that is a given to protect your investment. OR, if you have a vintage one & it's worth 5-10k by itself.

ME......I know that if there is a fire, most of the plastic/poly will melt anyway regardless of the fire rating. I don't live in a flood plane or area prone to them. 90% of B&E are smash & grabs. If it happens during the day, I have a dog there. They want stuff that is out in the open or quick to get to/have access to.

My needs were simple. Keep them safe from kids, and safe when I am not there.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is well secured to the floor. That's three quarters of the battle to get inside. If they get it on its back, they can get the necessary leverage to pry it open.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Whatever you buy, make sure it is well secured to the floor. That's three quarters of the battle to get inside. If they get it on its back, they can get the necessary leverage to pry it open.
    You tube shows people cutting with a side grinder but the key is never put one on a 1st floor never bolt to a wooden floor.(if the house burns it will fall through the floor)

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    You tube shows people cutting with a side grinder but the key is never put one on a 1st floor never bolt to a wooden floor.(if the house burns it will fall through the floor)
    So will my refrigerator and bathtub. Put it where you can access it in a reasonable time.