Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 Car Side Entry Garage

I'm thinking about moving this year and want to make sure I find a house where I can fit my boat in the garage. A lot of the homes I'm looking at have 3 car garages anywhere from 21-23 ft deep and they are side entry. I'm curious if anyone on the board has a similar setup and can fit their boat in the garage. I'm sure I can find a way to fit it in but am concerned about angling it into the side entry.

My rig is about 25ft long with the swing away tongue and motor tilted down. Currently fits at an angle in my 24ft garage. I don't care about fitting any cars in there.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Side entry makes it tough, if you don't have enough room to swing your tow vehicle around to be able to back the boat in, even at an angle. A set of go jaks might be your best answer.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    I had my 3rd car built as deep as the house. I have all my gear, boat, welder, table, door on the side was put at 27', garage is 43' deep.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

4. Member
    I think there is a trend among buyers of houses above a certain price point to not like the sight of a garage door, and even less the sight of a garage interior. To appeal to these easily offended people, home designers have come up with the useless abomination called a side entry garage. I would not have one for love nor money.

5. Member
    Most 3rd car garage doors are only 8' wide. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the replies. Most ones I've seen have on large door for 2 cars and an 8ft door. I'll be looking for something without side entry but worst case scenario it looks like I can make it work with some go jacks. Biggest issue I will have is my wife is as picky on the house as I am on the garage. Wish I could just move out to the country but the commute would be terrible.

7. Member
    Not really a new thing. The covenents (written in 1990) in my waterfront development, require side entry garage. :(

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    I think there is a trend among buyers of houses above a certain price point to not like the sight of a garage door, and even less the sight of a garage interior. To appeal to these easily offended people, home designers have come up with the useless abomination called a side entry garage. I would not have one for love nor money.
    easy fella. I have aide entry 40x30 3 car garage I would never own a house with a front entry again. Side entry way nicer looking on home

9. Member
    I also have a side entry garage. After a few times in and out, you will be amazed how quickly you figure it out. When I first started I put tape on the floor so I could see how to line up the trailer wheels. After about the 7th or 8th time, I wasn't even looking at the tape.

I have a 3 car side entry garage. If you don't care about cars, its really easy to fit a boat in there. I used to put my boat diagonal over two spots, and my wife parked in the third spot. I found it much easier than parking with my old house (2 car front load garage.)

I have a 3 car tandem that is what u want as a boat owner. I am seeing larger homes with 4 car tandems. Side entry and double doors were a no go for me.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    I have a 3 car side entry garage. If you don't care about cars, its really easy to fit a boat in there. I used to put my boat diagonal over two spots, and my wife parked in the third spot. I found it much easier than parking with my old house (2 car front load garage.)
    Even if you care about the cars they can fit. I just have the tow vehicle in the spot next to the boat of the double door stall. This way it is always empty when your putting the boat away. The boat does sit a bit crooked in the stall.

Quote Originally Posted by juhealy View Post
    Even if you care about the cars they can fit. I just have the tow vehicle in the spot next to the boat of the double door stall. This way it is always empty when your putting the boat away. The boat does sit a bit crooked in the stall.

I think I'll be able to get one car in there but the boat will have to take up 2 spaces unless the garage is over 25ft deep (which I can't find). I may be moving not too far from you since I work in Canton.

14. Member
    I have a side entry 3 car garage that had 3 individual 8 ft doors until 3 years ago. It now has one 8 ft and one custom 18 ft door. I have to put the boat in at an angle because I don't have enough depth. The cost to redo the design was $8500. New footer, LVL's, engineering expense, etc. Was totally worth it.

Make sure the door is tall enough as well. My 150 Opti clears my door header by no more than ½". It's scary close but never hit it yet.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    I have a side entry three car garage. If the large door is on the outside, it is doable. if the large door is on the inside, it will be an issue. I will also add that you will need to invest in a pair of Go-Jacks to help refine the positioning. The driveway width is also a factor

17. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If your looking at new construction see if you can spec a bigger garage, 21-23 deep will not get it. I did a 30X30 and it works out great.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

If ur building new I'm sure they can do a 3 car tandem. Really becoming more popular, but also at the expense of square footage.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Make sure the door is tall enough as well. My 150 Opti clears my door header by no more than ½". It's scary close but never hit it yet.
    I know it may be a tad of work.Be you can let some air out and problem gone.You will have to add air before hitting the road.But better than the motor hitting the door.Them cowl are not cheap.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    I know it may be a tad of work.Be you can let some air out and problem gone.You will have to add air before hitting the road.But better than the motor hitting the door.Them cowl are not cheap.
    Door height should be a minimum of seven feet. You will have to lower motor and Power Poles to get boat in garage.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 01-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast