Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chatterbait/spinnerbait rod

Looking for a chatterbait/spinnerbait rod that wont break the bank amd was thinking of going with a glass rod. I generally throw 1/2oz baits but will occasionally throw a 1oz spinnerbait. Fishing fairly open water and usually slow rolling. Anybody have any ideas on a decently priced rod. Would even prefer a used rod if i could find what im looking for
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    a couple rods that are out of production I think. The Powell paddletale rod is what I use in Florida for both the techniques you note in about the same weight. Nice tip but big backbone and reasonable sensitivity. Seems when I hit on a big chatterfrog fish in KY it is in April and around laydowns I don't see until too late. This rod can move her.

Another that I own but don't fish enough is a looms MBR847 crankbait rod. Mine is a custom and I don't fish it nearly enough.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Banned
    Glass for heavier spinnerbaits/chattebaits is a no-no in my book. Need more "backbone"

4. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Dobyns 736C glass. This rod was designed for chatterbaits and larger spinerbaits.

I have always used a 6'6" medium heavy rod, the same one I throw a spinnerbait with. But, when the fish are biting short, I do not seem to always get a solid hookset and often pull the bait away from them. In several articles on BassFan, Brett Hite says to use a glass rod for chattebaits. So, late last fall, I started throwing chatterbaits on my medium action (actually it's really a medium heavy, but marked as a medium) glass/graphite combo cranking rod. I noticed that I was hooking more of those short strikers than with my graphite spinnerbait rod. So, I am going to buy a BPS cranking Stick to try. For $79.00, if I don't like it, it's no great loss. I have heading to the BPS store in Toldeo this Saturday to buy one, as I want to feel the action of the rod to determine if I want the medium or medium heavy action before buying.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I've said this before, I got a Hammer rod, specifically the 6'9" H and I got it for larger topwaters, 3/4oz and up. Anyway I decided to see how well it would do with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits and it is now the only rod I use for those baits. It is the best chatterbait rod I've ever used by a large margin, the rod is stout for those larger baits with big hooks but when you pull on the fish it has a slower action, like a mod-fast so you will have no problem keeping fish pinned. I'm on my second season with it and I have never lost a single fish on a chatterbait yet with it and I use that bait a lot. If you prefer a longer rod they make them, and they will have the same characteristics as they use the same versatile taper for all their rods.

^^^ This, Hammer! I use a 7' H for all of that, as well as T-rigs, light jigs, even weightless senko sometimes, and a few other things... It's def a great rod! Very versatile.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    Another Hammer user here. 7 foot heavy I use for swim jigs, chatterbaits, and spinner baits.

9. Member
    Thanks guys i may give the 7' H hammer a try although ive never held one and dont think theres anywhere ariund here i could get my hands on one
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Glass for heavier spinnerbaits/chattebaits is a no-no in my book. Need more "backbone"
    Unless you try the new Kistler Rods KLX Feel n' Reel...glass tip with a graphite backbone. Loads up incredibly well on a hookset!

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fis...l#.WHUbmVMrJpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Thanks guys i may give the 7' H hammer a try although ive never held one and dont think theres anywhere ariund here i could get my hands on one
    Call The Tackle Trap. It's in stock and ready to ship, you'll enjoy the rod for this application, and a lot more. Great stick!

7' Heavy Hammer Rods All American

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I have always used a 6'6" medium heavy rod, the same one I throw a spinnerbait with. But, when the fish are biting short, I do not seem to always get a solid hookset and often pull the bait away from them. In several articles on BassFan, Brett Hite says to use a glass rod for chattebaits. So, late last fall, I started throwing chatterbaits on my medium action (actually it's really a medium heavy, but marked as a medium) glass/graphite combo cranking rod. I noticed that I was hooking more of those short strikers than with my graphite spinnerbait rod. So, I am going to buy a BPS cranking Stick to try. For $79.00, if I don't like it, it's no great loss. I have heading to the BPS store in Toldeo this Saturday to buy one, as I want to feel the action of the rod to determine if I want the medium or medium heavy action before buying.
    I think you'll decide on the MH power. The M power in the crankin rod lineup is pretty whimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    Dobyns 736C glass. This rod was designed for chatterbaits and larger spinnerbaits.
    That would be one I would look at.

14. Member
    Really like the Cashion chatterbait rod i got last year.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I think you'll decide on the MH power. The M power in the crankin rod lineup is pretty whimpy.
    That's what I am thinking too. But, I won't know for sure until I get them both in my hand.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Just got the 736 Glass rod in from Dobyns yesterday. The stick feels incredible! Haven't used it yet, but will post a review this weekend. Plan on using it for chatterbaits, and trying it for traps in grass.

17. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Not sure how but a chatter ended up on my 764 CBRM this past year and that's where it'll stay now.

The wife and I drove up to BassPro in Toledo today. I need a 6'6" rod to fit in my Lund rod locker. I checked the MH BPS cranking rod and I thought it was too stiff. It is the same action as the rod I have been using. I checked for a M action and they didn't have any in stock. Rats! So, I picked up a ML, knowing it would be too whippy, WRONG! Turns out, the ML was far stiffer than I would have guessed. So, i bought it. If it turns out to be too light when I get it on the water, I can at least throw shallow crankbaits with it. But, I think it will be perfect. It's just the action I was looking for.

19. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Many of the rod makes are way stiffer than one would think.

20. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Unless you try the new Kistler Rods KLX Feel n' Reel...glass tip with a graphite backbone. Loads up incredibly well on a hookset!

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fis...l#.WHUbmVMrJpg
    The "glass" or glass composite rods of today are so different than the older glass rods. I use a Powell Endurance 705CB for 1/2oz baits and it is a near perfect rod for that size bait. If you pick one up you'd swear it was a graphite rod, but load it up and fish it and it feels like a glass rod.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast