Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LEGEND 199 225 PRO XS

POWER POLES OR TALONS

I figure this question has come up before but I need input please. Don't want to start anything bad, just want to know why you like one over the other. I have the money to put them on my boat but spending that much money I want to be sure I'm getting what is best for me! Also would like to know if you recommend paying to have them installed or install myself.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199 225 PRO XS

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Powerpole..install yourself, not complicated if you can turn a wrench.

3. Member
    I like the Talons we just installed them on a buddy's boat. They work great but has only used them a few times. I like that
    they go straight up and down less space at the dock. I also like that they are electric no oil to leak. I also like that the
    10 ft Talons don't stick up passed the motor as far. I also have friends with the poles they are both good products. Customer
    service is going to be better with poles. But I still like Talons. This is just my opinion I am also looking at this.
    Last edited by Trition189; 01-09-2017 at 05:46 PM.

4. Member
    I have 2 10 ft talons mainly because I don't have anywhere to put the PP pumps. Really satisfied with the talons. Easy install by myself.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

Had a 12' Talon now have twin 10' blades. Reasons for me that I like both... And dislike both...

pp pros- easy to prevent ANS by cleaning

can deploy them with or without drift paddles to slow your roll when fishing offshore "works really good"

can make them move slower and really quiet

lighter on transom

more forgiving to mistakes like taking off with them down

dont need any tilt bracket because you can just lower them to clear over head bridges/ garage doors

pp cons- loud when fast setting and the noise is in the water

more flex/ they will allow your hot to spin all the way 180* around if the wind is going good

hydrolic pumps/fluid/air/ Untill now only a pvc hose

i need an iOS chip on my pump for my phone to adjust pressure settings.

It's annoying to lower the poles to back in the garage

Talon pro- more ridged/ more pressure since its vertical vs arms that can loose pressure due to leaning

two talons sure seem to preven wind spinning to say 45* vs 180* blades

electric driver is simplistic in my mind

12' would hold me in 11 fow with a 1'wave on hard gravel/ 10'blades I need 7.5' with the same bottom and wind conditions

12' works better for me

qwieter and the motor is in the air vs bilge where I believe it's louder to fish

talon cons- may get some invasive specie in it that I could bring to a clean lake

heavier on transom

more than liky want tilt bracket $220 extra

all in all you can't go wrong with either. You have to look for your beinfits for you lakes and fishing style. I wish I had 12' talons but I do drag the blades off shore a lot. ( even the guys with spot lock can lower them to make the boat more sluggish in the wind) I use anchors over spot lock if shallow enough.

my new thoughts on the anchors are 6' of water and less buy 8' blades. Any deeper but 12' tallons.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 03-10-2017 at 10:25 AM.

6. Member
    Talons simplicity and tilts are nice.

7. Member
    Fishysam, wow, I just posted many of the same questions on another forum, and you've answered almost all of them:). I feel talons will be my only choice due to the lack of space for pumps.

I prefer to fish points sitting on top of the point as close to shore as possible and fan cast, which ensures me i've thoroughly covered it and use multiple baits if necessary. Most of the time, these points will be rough, either by wind or boat wakes.

Also, in order to be allowed to own a bass boat, I have to take the wife and kids to the island beaches during the summer. I don't want to carry sand anchors around so I'd want them to effectively anchor my boat nose out, while absorbing boat wakes.

In your experience do you believe the Talons will effectively accomplish this?

Thank you again, in advance for your assistance in preventing us other anglers from making bad decisions:)

8. Member
    I don't think either choice is a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ser68 View Post
    I don't think either choice is a bad decision.
    Agreed. I've had poles and fished off of boats with Talons and both are great products. Both have pros and cons but they are few.

in my experience going nose into the waves- I wouldn't trust my 10' blades. ( 8' blade would be slightly stiffer. ) I would trust tallons in worse conditions Going nose into wind. I would trust my 10' blades to hold the transom to the lake and take the waves backwards. As long as the bow isn't smashing rocks. Given its sand beaches I'd just beach it, sink the anchors an extra time once the people are off (since it may float higher). If your thinking wind that howling and large waves I'd say find a calmer beach

both companies fiberglass composite spikes only bend so far but since tallons are perfectly verticle the parts don't gain as much leverage and twist less. The nice thing about blades are that since they get wider you get a wider foot print in say 4-6' of water but that leaves the c-channel parts horazontal and they them selves will twist on the ways to the spike and if the spike at the start has a 20-30* twist then the spike leans over another 9" you see all the twist. They will hold and take waves great just not bow into the wind. If you have an ideal bottom like dence mud the blades will only spin 55-90* around given the spike being 1 foot in the mud.... But on harder gravlely bottoms it doesn't stick into it. Just pressure.

Ohh boat wakes... Not waves. Hell yeah either company will accomplish that but I wouldnt take my eyes off it till your very confident in them. I have anchored in back bays and jumped in a different boat for two hours. No theft cause no boat traffic and no one can swim that far with anything haha

12. Member
    both great but I believe talons slightly better and I went with them myself
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Thank you all for the great input/assistance.

14. Member
    Went with 2 Talons and very happy except for the loss in performance on the boat. No one discussed that much but you might lose 3-4 MPH.

wow that's a lot, of loss id assume 1-1.5 but 3-4 ouch, the setup should only be 115 pounds, 100 pounds=1mph, add some wind resistance....

just read the thread about a guy asking how to remove hydraulic fluid from his carpet as the line from his PP broke. one reason I went with a Talon.

17. Member
    Loss in performance I think depends on boat model. I've got 2-12s on a 492 ranger led sled and was worried about top end loss. I've got a 6 inch plate and the 15 inches built in the boat and have always struggled with bow lift. Not after the talons, tons of bow lift and actually gained 2 mph. Never had it get squirmy before but it can now.

18. Member
    I went with Power Poles due to the symmetry. My OCD would not allow me to look back and see both of those humps pointing in the same direction.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    I went with Power Poles due to the symmetry. My OCD would not allow me to look back and see both of those humps pointing in the same direction.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post

So riddle me this, my ocd coworker noticed something that now drives my ocd up, but haven't snapped yet... The power poles have all the nuts on the same side, did you swap one set around????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast