Thread: ??AR-10 Build??

??AR-10 Build??

I've been kicking around the idea of building an AR in .308. Where would you guy's recommend buying parts for the build. Not looking to break the bank, just wanting a quality, accurate and reliable rifle as end result. I've looked online at Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt, and the usual outlets. Wondering what other/better sources may be out there...

Thanks,

Chris Dunn...Dallas, Ga.
    2006 Blazer 202 / Yamaha 250hpdi

2. Member
    Whats your Budget?

I was going to go with the Aero Precision M5 receiver set which is a DPMS parts fit. AP has a builders kit normally $599 for receivers & hand guard, if you look around you can find it for $500.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/combo-se...html?limit=all

Spikes Tactical was another choice of mine.

4. Member
    JSE Surplus in Missouri is a good source....... all they do is AR's

http://www.jsesurplus.com/

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info guy's!

R.D. - no real set budget, just wanting a fairly nice rifle at the end of the build without hitting my wallet too hard.

Chris Dunn...Dallas, Ga.
    2006 Blazer 202 / Yamaha 250hpdi

6. Member
    Pretty wide Open game then.....you can have a decent Rifle for right around 1k to 1500 for sure......and that's w/o spending upwards of $3k on some of the more top end stuff Like Christensen & KAC.

The link that Catchatoad posted.......should be a good source. he has been in the industry fora long time, I'm fairly confident it should be a viable source for you. Prices are very good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Pretty wide Open game then.....you can have a decent Rifle for right around 1k to 1500 for sure......and that's w/o spending upwards of $3k on some of the more top end stuff Like Christensen & KAC.

The link that Catchatoad posted.......should be a good source. he has been in the industry fora long time, I'm fairly confident it should be a viable source for you. Prices are very good IMO.
    Don't know where the diamondback fits in but I bought mine already built for 900.00

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    Don't know where the diamondback fits in but I bought mine already built for 900.00
    I do not have enough product knowledge to answer that. I hate to speculate or "ASSUME" anything unless I know 1st hand. Internet banter is just that. I have not even had the opportunity to fire one of there handguns......so again....No comment on those either.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I do not have enough product knowledge to answer that. I hate to speculate or "ASSUME" anything unless I know 1st hand. Internet banter is just that. I have not even had the opportunity to fire one of there handguns......so again....No comment on those either.
    R.D that surprised me. You are one of few I would turn to for advice on the AR. I have seen the diamond back pistol but my AR 10 is a Diamond Back. I naturally assumed you would have knowledge of the diamond back.

10. Member
    NO SIR......and I will not even assume anything unless I personally know about it. I don't even know of a guy, who knows of a guy, who knows of a guy that even has a Diamond back anything

I read about them on other forums......seems like the guys that have them, like them & the others.......well.....not so much

Honestly man.....it's kinda funny. I've been helping put crap together (and fixing) for guys off & on for a few years. I have seen a lot of stuff (not as much as others in the industry though, can't compare myself to them at all). Some good & some not so good IE; the Frankenrifles. I fired just about every one of them one way or another.

When it came time for me to actually buy one myself I was stumped what to get. I think I had been tainted by seeing all the other swap out's & a few bad lowers that I was Leary about getting a crap product. I wanted to get a LE6920 or a BCM Recce but hence had not the funds for one. I knew that I wanted a 1:8 barrel as well......so for the $ at the time, the Ruger fit the bill......I know I won't put it through torture like LEO or Service personnel, and I have had well over 500 rounds of 6 diff ammo's though it w/o an issue, so I am happy with it as well. Then my personal build was another story