Ytrim1 Yamaha trim cap tool

Wondering if anyone has had the chance to use this tool yet. Trying not to destroy the caps if possible.

Ive had some air trapped in the trim rams since I've had the motor. Its looks like one of the caps has been replaced by the previous owner. I've done every trick in the book to get the air out. Thinking of pulling the caps and evacuate the old fluid. Then filling the lower area with fluid up to the bottom of the treads and reinstalling the rods and caps. Then rebleeding the system.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 01-09-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Member
    You will fully tilt the engine and flip the lock lever before you touch the cap,it will fall on you. If you have the spanned wrench it's easy. The caps are right hand threads just turn CCW to loosen. I don't know if you will accomplish what you want but it's possible.

I'm not sure if it will fix the air problem either. I've done the 5 count up and down. I've done the tilt up and fill till the the tilt hits by pass. It's just air in the trim rams..I can trim down perfectly with no issues. Trim up and it makes the gurgle noise until it clears the trim rams..tilt works perfect up and down. If I lock the motor up then trim the rams down they gurgle going down but work perfect going back up.. stumped at this point.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Have to tried trimming all the way up and then releasing the pressure relief screw to allow it to bleed down? This usually does the trick. If not trim up and release the fill cap a little and let the over pressure bleed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawglip View Post
    Have to tried trimming all the way up and then releasing the pressure relief screw to allow it to bleed down? This usually does the trick. If not trim up and release the fill cap a little and let the over pressure bleed out.
    About 100 times..Its always done the trick..But Not this time. I'm stumped...I did notice that the trim cap on the right side has been replaced. I just notice that once trimmed down the rod does not retract all the way flush like the left side. It sits up may 1/8 of an inch. wonder if that's what the problem is. Thanks for the response..

6. Member
    I haven't owned one yet that doesn't make noises going down. Once you bleed it out, run it and keep the res full. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    I haven't owned one yet that doesn't make noises going down. Once you bleed it out, run it and keep the res full. CJ
    I am just about at that point now. I might be just a little OCD.

8. Not Banned
    Mine does the same. Had 3 different places look at it and bled it until I got tired of messing with it and no change. The shops all say this is normal for the HPDI motors. Hope you figure it out and share.

Just thought I would add an update to my saga..The Yamaha trim tool worked like a charm to remove the trim caps. Much better than a spanner wrench..
    I took both trim rams out and they were perfect. I evacuated all of the old fluid out (may have been mixed with ATF by PO) and reinstalled the rams. I filled up the ram tubes with fluid to the threads before I reinstalled the caps. I bled the system several times using a few different methods and it is the same as it was when I started..I have come to the conclusion that some of these Yamaha trim and tilt systems will have a gurgle in the trim rams.

10. Member
    Thanks for the update. Where did you pick up the Yamaha tool from? I tried a grinder spanner wrench once and gouged up the caps but good.

Quote Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Where did you pick up the Yamaha tool from? I tried a grinder spanner wrench once and gouged up the caps but good.
    i picked it up from sims Yamaha. $89.00

I tried a little different method on bleeding after all else failed. I locked the motor in the up position. Then unscrewed the manual release. I pushed on the trim rams with my hands. Pushed one side down and could feel and hear the air trapped behind the rams. I rocked both from one side to the next until they bottomed out. Tightened manual release, raise motor back up, then all the way down. Then back up. It surprisingly helped. I did this several times until I felt like I got all the trapped air out. It's much better but still not 100%. I'm not sure why this worked better than just dropping the motor down with manual release.

12. Member
    I found a real cool tool for the end caps for the HPDI, Marine Tech Tools make them. AMT0006 is the one you need, You can find it on AMAZON for $67. Just got mine today, didn't use it yet but it fits good, Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by dre1965 View Post
    I found a real cool tool for the end caps for the HPDI, Marine Tech Tools make them. AMT0006 is the one you need, You can find it on AMAZON for $67. Just got mine today, didn't use it yet but it fits good, Hope this helps
    Thats a very nice spanner wrench...