Thread: Charging issue

Charging issue

SN# 0B121748

Battery is not charging with the motor running. I have a mercury repair manual that I bought from a local dealer. Not sure if it's the right manual or not, according to the manual it shows a different diagram and parts related to the charging system. If someone could point me in the right direction for a diagram or "right" manual it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ohbassin; 12-18-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    yumdinger:\".................. Today is ALWAYS the best day to go fishin!\"

2. Member
    Battery or batteries?
    Motor charging system is generally for one battery.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

3. Member
    Edited, meant batter not battery's. Auto correct on my phone.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury Part# 976583 should be the correct service manual for your engine serial number.

You'll need a DVOM and a DVA to accurately test components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    That's the service manual I have, the wiring diagram in the book shows no voltage regulator but there is one on my motor. How do I go about testing for that?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Monitor charging output and maximum voltage attained. Voltage should NEVER exceed 14.6 VDC.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ohbassin View Post
    That's the service manual I have, the wiring diagram in the book shows no voltage regulator but there is one on my motor. How do I go about testing for that?
    Your service manual should have the regulator noted in there somewhere. It might be in another section, like the electrical/ignition/charging troubleshooting area

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See page 2D-2. That's a diaghram for the 220 EFI (the regulator was an available add-on kit, and that diaghram will assist you in how it's wired).

9. Member
    Ok, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the help Don. If I need anything I will be getting on touch with y'all.

10. Member
    I tested the rectifier and it tested bad. I ordered one from y'all but have a dumb question. Does it matter which terminal on the rectifier, besides the positive marked terminal, the yellow wires attach. I had it unhooked for a couple days and forgot which yellow wire goes to which terminal.
    Last edited by ohbassin; 01-03-2017 at 11:32 AM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Red one is critical.

Either yellow may attach to either remaining post (as long as they each have their own post).

12. Member
    Ok, got all back installed and still no charging. After further investigation it looks as if I have the wrong stator, according to the part# and cross referencing to European's part catalog, which is 398-5454-A34. So I'm assuming I need a different stator, Don if you could point me in the right direction on that it would be greatly appreciated.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What stator DO you have?

What is the resistance reading between the two yellow wires (just the wires... no body parts or fingers in contact with terminals or lead ends)?

Resistance from each lead to "ground"?

And voltage from the RED wire terminal at rectifier (DC Volts)?

14. Member
    The part number that is on the stator is: 398-5454-A34, according to the sticker on it.

15. Member
    The resistance is within spec according to the manual, I don't recall the exact ohm, but it checked fine. I'll double check the volts when I get back to the boat

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also, the differences in the 5454A32 and 5454A35 stators are based on the stator lamination thickness.

A32 = 1/2" lamination
    A35 = 5/8" lamination.