Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanman2985 View Post
    I just went out and check the voltage with nothing being hooked up to the batteries and no charger hooked up for 24 hours. Agm Battery voltage was 12.6.

I took the meter to my truck. It read 12.58 turned off. Turned the truck on and it was reading around 13.78.

Went back lack to the boat. Reconnected charger and plugged in. Measured voltage at all 4 batteries while the charger was turned on. Read around 14.73 at all batteries. So my assumption is that the charger is working...correct? Does voltage at the batteries indicate a properly functioning bank(s) and charger?

Again, I don't know what the batteries should truly be at in a fully charged state. My portable smart charger added about .3-.4 volts on top of what the on board gave (12.54). But after 24 hours, it was back close to where the onboard. charger had left it.
    Charge going to 14.73V is normal on power up. The charger will immediately check to see how much current the battery will draw and then either drop the voltage or maintain that level. Unless something is draining the batteries fast, you should never see anything less than 13V with the charger plugged in.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Charge going to 14.73V is normal on power up. The charger will immediately check to see how much current the battery will draw and then either drop the voltage or maintain that level. Unless something is draining the batteries fast, you should never see anything less than 13V with the charger plugged in.
    Thanks. Makes sense. So I just went out to the boat. The charger lights are all single green(fully charged) and the voltage (plugged in) at all batteries is between 12.5 and 12.65. Something doesn't seem right. I guess I'll call dual pro tomorrow and see what they say. If I need to buy a new one, fine. But I just don't understand what the deal is. It can't be the batteries.

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Agree, something is not right, either the charger or the batteries or the voltmeter. Saw a digital voltmeter randomly putting out confusing slightly erroneous readings the other day. With batteries tenths of a volt make a big difference.

Also ask Dual Pro if your older 2008 era charger is compatible with AGMs and if it has or can be upgraded to Delta Volt charging profile. You will need your serial number from the tag on its AC cord.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-17-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12