Saltwater boat slip for 5 days - can my Cat handle it?

Thinking about a trip to the coast in Alabama, and part of the deal at the rental condo is a boat slip. It's right off the Gulf so saltwater. Can my Cat handle sitting in a saltwater slip for 5 days? It is a 2008 Cougar with a 2008 Merc 250 Pro XS. Anything I can do to safeguard it a little more?

Feeling nervous about it since I will have this boat for the next 15 years at least!

2. Member
    I think I would be more concerned about the motor, I think the boat would be OK but I don't know that for sure..

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Sounds like you may be staying at Little Lagoon. There is some really good fishing there. I wouldn't let my rig stay in the water the whole week, but that's just me. I've got friends that have done that down there. The main issue they have had is with electrical connections on the boat corroding very quickly. Salt water won't hurt your boat itself though. The motor could be flushed and rinsed out at the end of the week, and you should be fine. But again, the electrical components in the engine could suffer some corrosion. After all, people keep boats in the salt water year round down there. They probably have special wiring though. Tinned wiring maybe?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Member
    One other suggestion.. I would wash my trailer down extremely well EVERY time it goes in and out of the water.. Love my BassCat trailer but I have had a rust problem with mine from just a couple of times in brackish water.. At the time I didn't think the salt content would be enough to hurt the trailer but it didn't take long for it start to develop rust... Better safe than sorry..

5. Member
    Lived in Charelston SC and fished the saltwater side of brackish water for spots etc... for a long time out of much less inferior boats than the Cat. Wash it down real good including the trailer. Make sure to flush the motor. Use lots of fresh water!

I'm sure it will be ok, just clean and flush the crap out of it when you take it out. might even be better if you can find a fresh water lake and run around for a half hour.

7. Banned
    The trailer is the only issue.
    I take mine to a freshwater lake, back it in and let it soak, then back it in and out (slosh it around, lol).

8. Member
    I'm different--There is NO WAY I would put a boat designed for freshwater in to a saltwater environment, especially one I planned to keep for 15 years. If you are in a salt water environment, the moisture in the air carries a salt content.
    Salt water has a way of finding a way into everything, including wiring connections that you think would be salt impervious. The fact that a Cat Trailer is "C" channel is a vast improvement over other tube trailers, but the brakes, connections and ANY spot where salt water gets to bare metal will be a problem.

BCB builds the finest bass boats in the water, but they are not built specifically for salt. In addition to bass fishing, I'm also a sailor, diver and have fished a lot of blue water and backcountry. NOTHING I use in freshwater bass fishing gets exposed to salt water.
    Just my opinion.

Live down here In SE LA and fish out of my cat all the time in it. Boat is fine, engine is fine but I got my last cat with an aluminum trailer if that tells you anything. When you think you have rinsed your trailer enough do again twice as long I put some marine grease on all my light connections and that prevents issues there. After you get the boat back on the trailer wash the entire rig and be sure to thoroughly soak the bunks with freshwater to get salt off the brackets or they will rust.

10. Member
    i spent 10 years fishing brackish/salt tidal rivers with the same boat..................no issues, and that included spearing waves and flooding the boat!

11. Member
    I fished a lot of heavy brackish water with no problem to the boat or engine but I do hose down the trailer with fresh water when I get home.