Question Used boat do's and do nots

For used boats, there's so much information it would take weeks to go through it all, so is there a "cheat sheet"? I'm thinking from 1995 on...any quirks with different outboards, or ones to avoid? Everyone knows Skeeter, Ranger, etc., but what about lesser known brands(Shadow, Javelin, Sprint), any to avoid, any hidden gems? I'm looking for a "tide-me-over" boat in the 18-19' range that's not too expensive ($10-12k-ish the BBC way) and felt this could be useful for others as well.

2. Member
    Look for an early 2000's Stratos 285Pro XL. They were all composite construction, no wood, and fish great for an 18.5' boat. If you can find a Larry Nixon edition they were rated for 175 HP and came with Hydraulic Steering, Hot Foot , Blinker Trim and Jackplate.

3. Member
    Thanks, I've been looking at all sorts of boats and I've found a lot of different ones in that price range from the late 90s to the early 2000's. Champion 187/183/191 Elite, Triton 185/186 and even a TR19 or two, Skeeter ZX180/190 and TZX180/190, Nitro 700/929CDX/NX750, Basscat PII and PIII, Ranger 300/400/518/519s and R series, Stratos 288, etc. Right now the one I'm eying is a Champion 187. I know the reputation Champ has, but I don't know anything about them myself. I don't know much about boats older than about 2010 for that matter.

4. Member
    for more info on the champ go to the champ page along with the pages of the other brands. So many members that only frequent those pages. Very knowledgeable folks on this site that enjoy sharing knowledge and helping out.

5. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    It'd be easier to find one you're really interested in and study that exact rig.....it will be hard to get facts with a broad list
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

6. Member
    look at Cajun, nice boat, picked one up ( 1990) dirt cheap and just got a clean bill of health from my mechanic, he said the 100hp Merc is very clean and the boat is awesome

7. Member
    I'd avoid the Fitch evinrudes and the 125 hp 2+2 Mercs.

150 xr6's and EFI Mercs were tough engines.

Find one maxed on hp, I've never seen a post or heard a guy at the ramp say he has too much HP.. hear all the time about wanting more.

Apperance is everything.. If it looks like crap..It was most likely treated like crap.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    I'd avoid the Fitch evinrudes and the 125 hp 2+2 Mercs.

150 xr6's and EFI Mercs were tough engines.

Find one maxed on hp, I've never seen a post or heard a guy at the ramp say he has too much HP.. hear all the time about wanting more.

Apperance is everything.. If it looks like crap..It was most likely treated like crap.
    listen to this man! I had my son look at my boat for me and there were some things he didn't look at which turned out to be fairly expensive fixes. If cable steering, turn the wheel. My steering was froze up. Check bunk carpet and trailer side boards. Also look in the storage area. The guy I boat my boat from a left food in one compartment for months, he was a pig and a slob. The saving grace is the boat and motor were solid. I paid $8500 for the boat, if I would've looked at it, I $6500 would've been my top dollar or I would've walked. My son insisted this was the way to go. After 4 or 5 grand more into it, I now have a good solid fisher. Now just need to bone up on my cold water fishing. Tired of getting skunded!
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Member
    I went through the same process early last summer looking for a boat in the same size and price range as you. Even here in Georgia, it was surprising hard to find a good boat that met these criteria, so I didn't focus on one brand in particular. Found lots of used up/neglected basket cases, and a fair number of newer boats out of my price range. There are boats out there, though it took me a couple months to find one that I wanted. Eventually bought a 19' Stratos that had been well cared for. Bottom line, be persistent, keep a sharp eye out (good $10-12K boats don't last long on the market, lots of guys like you and I looking for them), don't be afraid to walk if its not right (there'll always be another eventually), and always test drive.