175xri Low oil alarm at 4000 RPM and above.

OD154510 175XRI
    Had the outboard worked on, replaced the trigger and stator. That fixed the original problem.
    Now it runs fine but alarm is the issue, Boat oil tank is full, small oil tank on top of engine is full, primed as recommended. No alarm at idle or at speeds 3800 rpm or below.
    Have checked the water filter for water, none in filter. It is the low oil/water alarm not overheat.
    Help

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Four beep, Pause, Four Beep.... or FAST BEEPING (there is a difference).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Intermittent beep, can tell there is a pause, but is much faster than when the key is turned on
    Book says sounds steadily for overheating

worked normally before trigger/stator installation, started at with first test run.
    In my manual straight sound is overheat. Also not run very long afraid to
    This happens when going on plan at 4000 and stops when I lower to 3900 or below.
    water pressure 8 at 3900, was 18 at 5600 but have not run to above 4000 because of alarm.
    No led on, water sensor, Dumped it just incase.
    Thanks I do need your experience and help.
    Last edited by Zx175Bassman; 01-09-2017 at 10:59 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the grounds on top of the engine block at the back for corrosion (clean terminals, ensure they're tight on the screw). That's one thing you can do easily (and is a common cause of errant warnings from the oil warning module).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    will do thanks

6. Member
    mix that fuel until problem solved
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Cleaned and reconnected
    no change
    Thanks ahead of time

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you're not losing spark at higher RPM's on one cylinder, and if not, I would recommend replacing the sensor & bearing (which contains the signaling magnet).

9. Member
    I will do so and get back to you. Been afraid to run it above 4000
    I will check the plugs 1st
    Thanks

10. Member
    it turned out to be a bad signaling unit. 3rd one over the years.
    I had mechanic to go ahead and remove oil injection and have started manual oil mixing with gas

Any recommendations:
    50:1 mixing fuel tanks
    Thanks for help

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Simply add the oil, and ensure the appropriate amount of fuel (to match at 50:1 ratio) is added also. I prefer to see at least 1 gallon of fuel follow the oil down the fill-neck (just to help ensure the oil makes it to the tank).

12. Member
    be sure YOU mix it, had one fried yesterday guys buddy put gas in for him $$$$$$$$$ [ my recommendation]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Put oil for 22 gallons in each tank (two 22 gal tanks) 56.3 OZ EACH
    Added 12 gallons of regular unleaded (NO ETHNOL) After adding oil 50:1, full tanks at that time
    Also bought bottle with measurements printed for up 10.5 gallons 25.6 oz FOR 10 gallons (also 100:1 24:1 etc on bottle) 2.56 oz to a gallon
    Thanks
    ran boat after idling for a few minutes to make sure oil in all of system ran good
    mechanic tested heat alarm worked fine ,might put on led to make sure I dont sleep through it