Thread: Reel speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reel speed.

I need 2 reels for my new nrx rods and I'm thinking a set of 8:5:1 I've never reels that fast. Is it to fast for jig and worm rods?
    2016 f250 diesel
    2013 phoenix 920xp
    250 pro xs
    pb 9.72

2. Member
    Should be perfect for pitching and flipping. It would be too fast for me for moving baits except maybe rattle traps fished over shallow cover.

Sometime's I'll crawl a jig around by reeling but with a worm I'm moving the bait with the rod and only reel to take in the slack. In that situation it could be useful. I use 7.x:1 for that.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Not gonna pitch or flip with these rods. They are gonna be jig and worm. Nrx 894 will be for mag shakey head and big jigs.
    2016 f250 diesel
    2013 phoenix 920xp
    250 pro xs
    pb 9.72

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwaangler View Post
    Not gonna pitch or flip with these rods. They are gonna be jig and worm. Nrx 894 will be for mag shakey head and big jigs.
    Doesn't matter as long as it's not a moving bait

6. Member
    I dont have a 8.5.1 reel .But I use my 7.1.0 to fish jigs , spinner baits ,ratter traps ect bait in selected area (strike zone ) then burn it back to the boat,to re-throw in a diff. zone .

7. Member
    I need 2 reels for my new nrx rods and I'm thinking a set of 8:5:1 I've never reels that fast. Is it to fast for jig and worm rods?
    My rule is that for techniques you use the rod to move the bait, fast is better as you need to take up slack and set the hook. Speed is the need.

For other techniques where you use your reel to move the bait, then you match it to the technique. I use 5.0 for JB's and some CB's.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

8. Member
    If you're flying down the bank with the trolling motor on high, you'll want all the gearing you can get. I throw jigs, etc. on an 8.1:1. I even throw jerk baits on a 7.1:1. Most of my reels are 7.x and I never have a problem.

9. Member
    8.5:1 ratio reels are all I use for all my soft plastic fishing. I move the bait with the rod - not the reel.

Gear em fast. You can always reel slower.

11. Member
    I use a 7.1 on my NRX jig setup.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Love throwing football heads on my NRX 893 w/ Lews 7.1

13. Banned
    A Shimano Metanium XG would pair perfectly with that rod. I use the high speed reels as it really makes the day easier when pitching, some people claim the faster ratios have a bit less power but I have never noticed it. As a matter of fact I believe the higher speed lets me catch up to fish quicker and control them faster. Just my thoughts.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    A Shimano Metanium XG would pair perfectly with that rod. I use the high speed reels as it really makes the day easier when pitching, some people claim the faster ratios have a bit less power but I have never noticed it. As a matter of fact I believe the higher speed lets me catch up to fish quicker and control them faster. Just my thoughts.
    This is what I use on my NRX's for soft plastics. I love the speed

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I especially like the 8.5:1 for fishing heavy slop. The fast ratio gets them up to the top quick , to get them up and out before the wrap you up.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 01-09-2017 at 08:08 PM.

16. Member
    My want to compare how many inches of line that is retrevied per turn of handle

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    yes great point makes a big difference (2) diff brands of 8.5:1 can vary signifigantly.

18. Member
    I ordered a 8:5:1 I think I am gonna like it. Escoecilly for the deep stuff. I was just a little worried when moving bait with the rod that when i reeled up slack I'd do it to fast and it would make me bump the bait a lot
    2016 f250 diesel
    2013 phoenix 920xp
    250 pro xs
    pb 9.72

I ordered a 8:5:1 I think I am gonna like it. Escoecilly for the deep stuff. I was just a little worried when moving bait with the rod that when i reeled up slack I'd do it to fast and it would make me bump the bait a lot
    It will but you just have to remember it doesn't take as much. I use 8.1:1 for any bait that isn't moving. The fast reels really shine in deep water once a fish is hooked up!

I use 7.1:1 and 8.0:1 reels for jigs, worms, etc.
    Faster is better.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast