Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I'm not one to let something go. For example, when I bought my current '08 bass cat last year, I went over it carefully, but somehow missed a hydraulic steering issue. About a month later, turning left into our launch creek, the steering sort of skipped. Very much like what I felt when cable steering wore the teeth down at the helm. I knew instantly what it was, and added some fluid. But I knew that hydraulic fluid just doesn't evaporate magically. So I went on a careful quest and found the cylinder seals leaking barely. Replaced them and the fluid level has stayed static for a couple of months of fairly frequent use. Some might just fill and keep going. But when something changes I prefer to track it down as soon as possible, as it will generally keep biting at you until it reaches some sensitive part of your anatomy. :)

This slow turnover is not normal, and not endemic of these motors. So something is up. Whether the OP takes the time to track it down or waits for total failure, it WILL eventually be discovered.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    More thread-cleanup performed.

Please note: If further cleanup is required, the thread will be closed or deleted.

Your Optimax should light right after the THIRD revolution on a COLD start, every time. That's the number of revolutions required (at the correct cranking speed) to build air pressure to a level that the engine can light.

In other words: "Yada-da-da-da-da, Yada-da-da-da-da, Yada-da-da-da-da-VVVRRRROOOOOMMMM!" (if it doesn't start by that "phonetic" point, something is WRONG!).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-24-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post
    I've run optima blue top 31's for years in my optimax with zero issues. Why the reference to Mlf? Are they "cheap" batteries because they sure aren't inexpensive
    Same here. Zero issues

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234