Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    I have the exact same motor. 2014 Pro XS 200. It does NOT behave like this. Starts the same every time. My motor is under platinum warranty until April of 2019. Yours should be pretty close. I'd let the dealer handle this since it will be done free of charge. And I do NOT have any sort of cutoff switch or anything between the motor power leads and the battery.

I assume you have tried with a direct connection, just to be certain your switch is functional.
    Do you mind me asking which cranking battery you have?
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

2. Member
    I have a basic Group 31 sized wet cell battery. Can't state the type without looking, but I didn't go exotic. Either walmart or an auto parts store (auto zone or advance). I simply made sure it was well above the 800 CCA requirement.

I have a basic Group 31 sized wet cell battery. Can't state the type without looking, but I didn't go exotic. Either walmart or an auto parts store (auto zone or advance). I simply made sure it was well above the 800 CCA requirement.
    Got ya. I also have a 31 size myself. It has 1000 CCA, so I'm still trying to figure everything out. Just purchased a new charger, so hopefully I can eliminate that option.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

4. Member
    Savage what I have going on is not a battery. I've checked the battery, and I've checked the voltage drop. Read earlier post.

5. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy909 View Post
    Savage what I have going on is not a battery. I've checked the battery, and I've checked the voltage drop. Read earlier post.
    Pull your fuel injectors, rails and air injectors and get them to Don. Not a bad idea to have this done ever so often and may cure your starting to boot.

6. Member
    The computer does NOT lie, if the motor sets an alarm for "low voltage", then the voltage IS LOW. The battery IS the main culprit IF all the connections and cables are good.

Get rid of the Major League Fishing, Optima Blue Top, and get a big group 31 battery.

Click on this to find a good battery>>>>> "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT"- Updated 3/15
    Last edited by Savage; 01-20-2017 at 11:03 AM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are several other "less common" possibilities that can cause excessive amperage draw when starting, and the actual posts, actual cables themselves can also be contributors.

Have to be honest- so many batteries discussed above that it's a 5 minute review session for every time this thread pops up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edited by Moderator
    Please read the Forum Announcements. Thank you!
    Note the big, bold, red text contained in this link - http://www.bbcboards.net/announcement.php?f=7
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-24-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Banned
    I've run optima blue top 31's for years in my optimax with zero issues. Why the reference to Mlf? Are they "cheap" batteries because they sure aren't inexpensive

10. Member
    Hey savage, why not stop acting like you know it all and listen to the facts! My battery is good! I've had my battery out of the boat and in my shop for test. I done it old school with a carbon pile test, also took it to an optima dealer and had them check it and thier results were the same as mine. Second, your right, the ECM don't lie. I've never had an alarm or any codes set. The engine just acts like it doesn't want to turn over. Once it bust that first start it's always fine. I've been using optima batteries long before they were on major league fishing, there's nothing wrong them. It was stated earlier by one guy it may be an injector leaking causing a hydraulic lock momentarily and once it's burned that fuel off it's fine the rest of the day. I've had the rails replaced because the fuel regulator diaphragm left me stranded once already.

Here's what I know.......If your battery is not spinning the motor quickly on the very first try, then the battery IS undersized, defective, or not properly charged, regardless of how it performs the rest of the day.

11. Member
    Ok savage explain how I can back my boat in the lake. I'll turn the key and it'll hardly crank, but will start. I can immediately shut it down. When I say immediately, I mean within 5-10 seconds. I can then turn the key and it bust off like nothing. The outboard never runs erraditc or smokes excessively. There is no possible way my alternator is boosting the charge in that battery that fast. If you know anything about batteries you should know that if you have a low battery and it barely starts whatever your trying to start or the battery has to be jumped and you immediately shut off whatever you just started, it's not gonna start again. I'll get it figured out, I'm sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edited by Moderator
    Please read the Forum Announcements
    I'm not saying optimas are the best, but I wouldn't call them junk either.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-24-2017 at 07:35 AM.

12. Member
    Skippy..... It fires off Immediately the second time because the pressures are now built up, and present, so the the battery doesn't have to work as hard on the second try. Your a Harley Tech right, then I'm certain that your training has helped you to check the wiring connections, and so forth and, everything is as it should be, so what's left.........Battery. Everything begins with the battery. Most boats always come with the bare minimum starting battery, then owners have troubles like your having.

Post a picture of your present Optima battery and its connections.

13. Member
    I'm not at the house and don't have a pic on my phone. I'll agree with you, I wish it was the battery. I originally had an interstate in the boat from the dealer as the boat was bought new. That's why I bought a 31 series optima and it does the same thing. There have been times when I've started the boat, ran barely a mile and fished for several hours without moving. I'm talking 5-6 hours. Everything has cooled and it still bust right off.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post
    I've run optima blue top 31's for years in my optimax with zero issues. Why the reference to Mlf? Are they "cheap" batteries because they sure aren't inexpensive
    Sounds like you have a good one......I know several people that have not been as lucky as you. What charger are you using? MLF reference was just because the MLF advertises Optima batteries, inferring that they actually use the battery on their Mercury powered boats, doesn't mean that the battery is the best option for an Optimax motor.

15. Member
    Click on this>>>>>Batteries??????

Read post #8, does it sound familiar?...... Answer.....Yes

Read post #3 also......more problems.
    Last edited by Savage; 01-21-2017 at 06:28 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Sounds like you have a good one......I know several people that have not been as lucky as you. What charger are you using? MLF reference was just because the MLF advertises Optima batteries, inferring that they actually use the battery on their Mercury powered boats, doesn't mean that the battery is the best option for an Optimax motor.
    I use optima batteries in my entire vehicle fleet at work (32 vehicles), along with countless boats, tractors and commercial diesel standby generators etc. They have been the fastest starting, most reliable batteries I've ever used.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

17. Member
    I'm glad your having good results, but Skippy is not, if the motor is not spinning fast on the first hit. Most likely battery, or charging related.

How about posting a video of one of these weak starts. I think it would help. I do know that when I forget to pump up the bulb my motor seems to take an extra spin to get it to light off making it seem like a weak start. I guess what I am trying to say is that if there are no codes or alarms and you have a properly rated/charged battery then everything might just be normal. If this is your first Optimax/ProXS, they are a different breed than motors of the past.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

19. Member
    They are different, but they don't typically "barely turn over" on the first crank of the day. That generally suggests there is a problem somewhere between the starter and the cranking battery. Bad battery. Bad cable. Bad connection. Bad switch. Bad something electrical in that specific path.

20. Member
    They are different, but they don't typically "barely turn over" on the first crank of the day. That generally suggests there is a problem somewhere between the starter and the cranking battery. Bad battery. Bad cable. Bad connection. Bad switch. Bad something electrical in that specific path.
    +1
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast