Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ultrex maiden voyage

Once I got used to how to smoothly move the head. I dig it!
    spot Lock is darn near good as sex! One thing I really like is how it ramps up to high speed instead of instant on.
    Money well spent, I'm sold!
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

2. Member
    I cant use mine until the lakes thaw out in spring. Is the spot lock pretty accurate?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

3. Member
    I wonder how that easy on will work when the prop is buried up in heavy weeds? Anyone tried that yet?

No Veggie stuff in central Texas, will be going to Toledo Bend in March there will be plenty there. I the the 36 Volt will have enough umph to chew thru whatever you might run across.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

5. Member
    Just wish mine would get here. Black Friday sale deal. Not that us northerners could use it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    I cant use mine until the lakes thaw out in spring. Is the spot lock pretty accurate?
    works better than an anchor. No swinging on the rope hold position amazing well. Seems to work better in the wind too. I love it money well spent IMO.

7. Member
    Ordered mine about 3-4 months ago from TW and nadda

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    Ordered mine about 3-4 months ago from TW and nadda
    I ordered mine from TW during black friday sale also. I emailed them and they said they should start seeing them after the first of the year.

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
    Just wish mine would get here. Black Friday sale deal. Not that us northerners could use it for awhile.
    ^^^^

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlipnstik View Post
    I ordered mine from TW during black friday sale also. I emailed them and they said they should start seeing them after the first of the year.
    Cool...Thanks for the info..

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    works better than an anchor. No swinging on the rope hold position amazing well. Seems to work better in the wind too. I love it money well spent IMO.
    I had the chance really see how it works in the wind yesterday, works excellent. Over $2k but worth every penny!
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

12. Banned
    I'm only interested in a non us2 version

Hearing rumors that the spot lock feature is a power hog and drains the battery. Is that true or just a vicious rumor?

14. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall256 View Post
    Hearing rumors that the spot lock feature is a power hog and drains the battery. Is that true or just a vicious rumor?
    Probably the latter.

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall256 View Post
    Common sense that it would drain the battery (to some extent) while trying to stay on a spot in strong wind or current, but so would staying on that spot manually. The difference is that manually holding on a spot limits you to how long your leg muscles hold out.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Member
    Why would this be new news? Spot lock has been on previous models from Minn Kota. I doubt it suddenly just started with a battery problem. Now, if you are out in a current or heavy wing, yep, it will use your battery. So would you if you were trying to hold it there with your foot.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

I have used the spot lock feature all day long in the wind and no problems with the batteries. Probably uses less since it maintains position and does have to fight the lost ground at a higher strength. All I know is it works as advertised and makes fishing in the wind much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    I have used the spot lock feature all day long in the wind and no problems with the batteries. Probably uses less since it maintains position and does have to fight the lost ground at a higher strength. All I know is it works as advertised and makes fishing in the wind much easier.
    This.

Logic would tell you the Ultrex uses more battery but once you use it, the adjustments are so small (when it gets locked in on the spot), and thus so quiet, that you end up watching it to make sure it's working. I was in current fishing an eddy and looking at the remote it was on speed .5 when it had to kick on and the head never turned more than 45 degrees.

Depending on how fast you are moving, wind and current direction, it can make some big changes when you first hit spot lock to correct for momentum and direction.

19. Member
    I usually hit my anchor button twice on my Xi5 if I am moving down the bank and then want to anchor. 1st time to stop the forward momentum of the boat and the second time just before the boat starts moving backwards towards the original spot. Use the first one like touch of the button like a set of brakes.

Yeah when I use spot lock I try to take boat speed to 0.005 mph before hitting spot lock.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast