Truck canopy vs. tonneau cover

Also posted this in the lounge then realized we had a area for trucks....
    Picking up my new 2016 2500HD today and looking for pros and cons on this subject. Currently have a
    2005 2500 with an ARE canopy and have enjoyed the canopy. Also have a Decked truck bed system in the 2005 that made for an excellent combination. So before pulling the trigger on a new canopy (or possible new tonneau cover) for the new pu, I wanted to hear from those that have one or the others and why/how they have like it. Thanks for your input

2. Member
    Ive always had a shell, When i bought the 2014 i looked at tonneau covers until i found that they were more money than a shell . Went with a leer and am haPPY WITH IT.

I had a hard cover on my truck and got rid of it in favor of an ARE shell. If you actually use the bed of your truck to haul stuff, the cover is always in the way. Anything higher than the bed rails means you have to leave it open. I will also on occasion but my dog in the back which I could not do with the cover.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I've had both, the shell is nice but if you haul anything higher than the cap then removing it is difficult, stuff sliding forward in the bed means climbing in to retrieve it and it does obstruct rear visibility. I have a hard, tri-fold tonneau on my current truck and if folds up against the cab to haul big stuff or get things that have shifted forward in the bed. It also will completely detach in about a minute via 2 thumb screws. It's dry, secure (if your tailgate locks, mine does) and is much more preferable for my needs. Your preference may be different depending on you usage.

http://www.accesscover.com/limited/

this, come with dust/water seal. retriever that will pull 100 pound wheel tire combos out, rolls up so you can load leaves/ motorcycles. its an awesome product durable. you need to decide if fiberglass topper, cover or a roll able is best for you. I love the looks of a glass shell but cant use it myself

6. Member
    I never have like the caps only because you are limited to what you can haul. Same does for the hard covers that don't fold. I really like my access soft roll up cover. When I need the whole bed I just roll it up and I have access to everything. Keeping all of the dust out might not be as good as some of the others but I really havnt had much problems.