Question about Don's preferred cocktail.

Been running Don's preferred cocktail with the Merc Prem Plus in the fuel (90 octane ethanol free) in my 2000 Opti 200 0T075663 to keep the fuel system clean and lubed. Would it be ok to run something like Pennziol Xlf in the fuel in a pinch if I don't have any Prem Plus around? I run Merc DFI in the oil tank. I have read that some tcw-3 oils may not be compatible with DFI oil and want to make sure won't be an issue. I understand the oil in the fuel never mixes with the DFI oil injection, but it is being sprayed into the cylinder. Probably over thinking this, but gotta keep the old girl running good and happy!

Thanks for the input!
    James

2. Member
    Sure........but in a "pinch" you could just go to Walmart, they are everywhere, and stock Mercury Premium Plus.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply Savage. I ask because I live in a coastal city and Walmart is often sold out of the Premium Plus. I buy both DFI and Prem Plus from a local dealer that sells jugs they pump from bulk. Much cheaper. :) But they close early and are not open weekends. Last time this happened Wally was out of Prem Plus and went without the tcw-3 in the fuel cocktail that trip. Last minute deal. Just making sure for one of these type situations. Thanks!!!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would not recommend substituting other oils for use in the fuel, as the additive package in the oil is likely different.

Shouldn't be too difficult to locate the Premium Plus (or the "Synthetic Blend" in Quicksilver Labeling).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor