Newbie SHO questions

Always owned Yammie 2 strokes and was very comfortable with them, did all of my maintenance myself. Going to look at a boat next weekend with a 2014 250 sho on it. Im going to test drive it, is there anything i should be on the lookout for? Motor has warranty till 2020 but id like to make sure its in good shape before i buy. Thanks for any help and im sure this wont be my last question if i buy it
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    Its a good reliable strong motor! Its very fuels efficient too. Just check compression and you should be fine, either way its warranty until 2020. Or you can always bring it to a certified yamaha dealer to do a "presale check" for about $100

3. Member
    I certainly wont miss the gas/oil hog that my ox66 was. Forgot to say this motor has 150ish hours

4. Member
    I have a 2014 SHO 200 with 268 hrs. Not one single problem! Smooth, Lots of low-mid range torque, very fuel efficient, quiet, and no oil!

5. Member
    Good motor. Get a dealer to run the serial number and the can tell you if it's been warrantied or not. I would just get a dealer to look it over so you have that piece of mind

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Always owned Yammie 2 strokes and was very comfortable with them, did all of my maintenance myself. Going to look at a boat next weekend with a 2014 250 sho on it. Im going to test drive it, is there anything i should be on the lookout for? Motor has warranty till 2020 but id like to make sure its in good shape before i buy. Thanks for any help and im sure this wont be my last question if i buy it
    Check the oil to see if its making oil. I had a 2011 and it had to constantly be run hard to keep the rings sealed.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Check the oil to see if its making oil. I had a 2011 and it had to constantly be run hard to keep the rings sealed.
    I have no clue how to tell if its making oil. Im sure i check the dipstick but should it be in the middle of low and full. Ive always ran motors hard but also do a lot of idling

8. Member
    See if you can get the computer readout. It will give you the times it was run at particular rpm's etc. It will give some indication as to how it was driven. To me it is a great engine! and I would buy another in a heart beat. Had my 250 since 2011.

P.S. you will LOVE the hole shot with the right prop...

9. Member
    I have no clue how to tell if its making oil. Im sure i check the dipstick but should it be in the middle of low and full. Ive always ran motors hard but also do a lot of idling
    just smell it and see if their is gas in the oil or fumes.

10. Member
    Watch for the oil to rise on the dipstick. Know where it is now once it begins to get over the top hole start thinking about changing the oil. You will know when it makes oil really bad. It rises quick above the top hole.

11. Member
    Not sure how he'll test the oil making without purchasing the boat.

If the owner will allow you could grab a sample of the oil (about 3oz.)
    and send out for analysis. This would tell you if oil is contaminated with fuel (making oil) and other info as to metal partincals in the oil. Usually get my results back in less then a week.
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

13. Member
    If it's it has more than 20 hours on it and it's making oil it didn't get broken in trim the nose down and run the he'll out of it for about an hour it will quit