Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thanks!
    2004 Ranger 619VS

2. Member
    Looks amazing with the two colors and the low sheen finish on the carbon. I am really thinking about that low sheen finish now.

How'd you go about powdercoating the screws, local shop I assume? I made a bunch of custom panels to replace old worn out panels on my Champ that I'm about ready to send off to K&K, and yeah, I'm sitting here thinking the same thing, could look pretty bad with boring old stainless screw heads showing.... If I do carbon, a black screw head would be better than nothing. Anyway, wanted to compliment and ask about the powdercoating.

Quote Originally Posted by ACRon View Post
    I was looking at the screws to mount everything and couldn't do it. They looked horrible with such beautiful panels. I am now busy powder coating the screws to match the panels. Found the colors I needed in my lure building supplies.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. Member
    Actually I did the powder coat myself since I build lures. I got the powder coat color (in my case white or matte black depending where it goes). I used a heat gun. Grab the screw with a hemostat. Pre heat the screw in the heat gun for 20 secs. Use a hobby paint brush to tap powder coat on the screw (don't dip it, it will fill the screwdriver slot). Then heat the screw again for 30 seconds to set the powder coat. Don't set it down until after it cools and hardens. Your done. Since I have several hemostats I just hang them to cool and keep rolling. I bought a bunch of hemostats off ebay and keep them all over the garage, in the boat, and tackle. You can also cure them in a toaster over at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    2003 Ranger 520VX
    2007 225 Mercury Optimax
    Lowrance 2-HDS-12's Touch Gen 2
    Lowrance 1-HDS-7 Touch Gen 2

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mibassranger View Post
    Did you have to get new Lowrance decals for the HDS covers? If so, where please? Thanks, cool project!
    The Lowrance is painted any color of your choosing...we dont use decals on the Lowrance lettering

5. Member
    Thanks very much. I didn't know you could do this. I have a bunch of hemostats and small clamps around, and a heat gun of course. I might just give this a try. Are the screws stainless and did you do anything else to prep the screw head?

Quote Originally Posted by ACRon View Post
    Actually I did the powder coat myself since I build lures. I got the powder coat color (in my case white or matte black depending where it goes). I used a heat gun. Grab the screw with a hemostat. Pre heat the screw in the heat gun for 20 secs. Use a hobby paint brush to tap powder coat on the screw (don't dip it, it will fill the screwdriver slot). Then heat the screw again for 30 seconds to set the powder coat. Don't set it down until after it cools and hardens. Your done. Since I have several hemostats I just hang them to cool and keep rolling. I bought a bunch of hemostats off ebay and keep them all over the garage, in the boat, and tackle. You can also cure them in a toaster over at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Member
    I used the existing screws and cleaned them with lacquer thinner. Be careful not to get to much powder in the slots for the screwdriver. I also only tapped the power on the head not on the threads.
    2003 Ranger 520VX
    2007 225 Mercury Optimax
    Lowrance 2-HDS-12's Touch Gen 2
    Lowrance 1-HDS-7 Touch Gen 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12