Z-9 coming off plane

I have noticed that no matter how I pull the power coming off plane I have a wave substantial enough to splash the air intake portion of the rear cowling on the engine. Water runs out but I do notice water spotting on the power head. Just seeing if this is common or am I missing a trick to preventing the wave?

Thanks for any help.

You need to give a quick burst of throttle before the wave comes over the back of the boat.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

Have the trim all the way down. On my z8 I can shut the throttle at wide open and no water will come up but if it's trimmed up I have to stay on the power forever to avoid this. However I don't believe this to be an issue for out boards. Talking to a friend who upgraded to a 28' mako with dual outboards because " you cant drown an outboard like you can an inboard"

Pretty common.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Pretty common.
    Thank you sir and thanks to all, sort of what I thought, tried every way and still splashes cowl.

6. Banned
    Are you slowing down, and then bumping the throttle when the stern wave is about to hit the motor?

7. Member
    Plus the cowlings on the Mercury engines are designed to take a big splash of water from the backside. There is a shield inside the back of the cowling that keeps water out of the actual engine compartment and redirects it back out of a slot in the cowling. But like the other have said....a quick blip of the throttle just as the boat is setting down eliminates this.

U can try all u want, I just quit trying years ago. Wont hurt engine.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    It doesnt hurt engine...but you can "outrun" it...dont come to a "screaching stop" ....slow down gradualy and then gas it if need be for the last bit of wave. Also after making a long (or even short) run at WFO....its wise to idle down and put into a cove for the last couple minutes. working on the princible of letting the engine "cool" down.
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-