2.5 spacer plate schematic

it is needed for a 2.5 fishing motor with staggered intake runners for 4 or 5 pedal cages and I don't have a reed plate to copy. I also need a print of a front half of the casing. any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    97 mariner 150 efi 0g529152. trying to stay in compliance but still a rebel at heart.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks.

You'll probably want to talk with someone that's built these spacer plates... although I'm honestly not sure how willing they'll be to provide you with the drawings.

Jay Smith does them... and I believe Chris Carson also made some.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    could not impose, probably do a teardown to get info. trying to avoid longer downtime. neither mentioned, offers what I am after. thanks for the reply.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    We make a 1 in spacer.Composite,light,with all necessary hardware and gaskets,165$...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carson's Marine View Post
    We make a 1 in spacer.Composite,light,with all necessary hardware and gaskets,165$...
    Will those worked for 150 carbed motors as well?
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes,very nicely.we have spacers and install kits for all horizontal reed 2.0,2.4,and 2,5 motors,in carb, laser injected and horn injected.All necessary gaskets,bolts,and throttle rod extension...
    Last edited by ChrisCarsonMarine; 01-23-2017 at 05:30 AM.

8. Member
    What kind of results have you seen with the spacer on a stock motor?

9. Banned
    Chris is as good as they come and a wise man ,he will not do you wrong

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    What kind of results have you seen with the spacer on a stock motor?
    I don't have a valid answer on that one,as I've never done any testing on an otherwise stock motor.However,I would be optimistic,especially if acceleration is the goal.
    A bit of history...Merc sold the 7 petal spacer for use in high rpm race/drag motors for a few years,and if memory serves correctly,claimed around a 5 hp gain on those motors...very high rpm's.I assume this gain is due to the supercharging effect caused by the matter in motion tends to stay in motion theory.These motors are fuel injected through the crankcase and use a large airbox air intake(horn)that is full width of the 7 petal reeds...in these motors the whole length of the reed block has direct,straight access to incoming air,no twists,turns,or corners.
    Being of a performance oriented mindset,and looking for improvement potential in the motors we work with it was obvious a spacer plate should be of more benefit in a carb or laser injected motor than in a horn motor,although for a different reason.Although the stock or mildly modified motors probably wont benefit as much from the matter in motion principle,the potential for gain (in my opinion)is even greater.These motors have horizontal rectangular reed blocks mounted directly behind the small round air intake passages in the intake manifold that mounts the carburetors or injection air handler.Incoming air passes from a round 1 3/8 hole to one side of a 4 inch wide slot in the reed cage,feeding only about 1/3 of the reeds directly.The other reeds only receive air after a very tight double turn in a restricted space...a real kink in the flow.Adding the 1 inch spacer between the intake and the reeds vastly improves the path the air takes from intake to reeds,a little like lengthening an offset short flattened funnel(if you can imagine that!).
    Anyway,with several hundred in use around the world,and lots of good feedback,i think it's a good add-on,especially taking into consideration that most mods on our motors that improve performance cost in either shorted motor life or higher fuel consumption.The spacer does neither,but I will remind you that the top end is usually governed by carb or air handler size,so even though you should see improved holeshot and midrange pull,don't expect much,if any top end improvements.