1992 175XRI 2.5 Should I go to manual oil additions and quit on Oil Injection ?

The oil injection system is all original (except hoses).The pump and fiber drive are original have never failed. I have read about this as a risk and causes expensive crash, if it fails. Should I bite the bullet and remove the system and start adding oil to the tanks when adding fuel (manual mix)?
    I have owned the engine since new and compression is good and runs fine.
    I have a local mechanic the will do the actual mechanical work.
    Recommendations Please?
    OD154510

2. Member
    You've made it 25 years. If it were going to fail, I would think it would have failed long ago. How do you run it? I think the failures occur on motors that are run very hard all the time. Mine's a 95 and it still works fine, but I don't run it wide open all the time either.

3. Member
    leave it on make SURE your warning system is always working properly if it does go out then mix JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Once the alarm sounds it is usually too late from what I have heard over the years.

5. Member
    On a 2.5 the alarm sounds immediately if the oil pump drive shaft stops spinning. I have seen FAR more engine failures from improper oil mixing (or forgetting the oil completely) than I have seen from oil injection systems failing on all brands of outboards. Like any mechanical device oil injection systems can fail, but they are blamed on a regular basis for failures they had nothing to do with.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

I'm a fan of getting rid of it personally. You never ever have to have it in the back of your mind after that. As said above, I've always heard that once you hear the alarm it's too late, if you're even able to hear it. The other argument for getting rid of it is that Mercury makes the blockoff kit themselves, if that tells you anything. I delete all of them on mine, don't take but an extra minute to dump some oil in when you fill up. Just my personal opinion.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

7. Member
    I'll agree to disagree
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter100 View Post
    On a 2.5 the alarm sounds immediately if the oil pump drive shaft stops spinning. I have seen FAR more engine failures from improper oil mixing (or forgetting the oil completely) than I have seen from oil injection systems failing on all brands of outboards. Like any mechanical device oil injection systems can fail, but they are blamed on a regular basis for failures they had nothing to do with.
    +1

Properly maintained (which includes replacing any lines that are hardened, brittle, cracked, or opaque), this system provides years of excellent service.

And if you really want to have an added measure of warning, add a RED LED light or light strip to your dash (parallel circuit with the warning horn). You'll probably see the light even faster than you would hear a warning horn (especially at higher RPM's/Speeds).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hay Bass hope you are not talking a bout the Mec in Sherwood
    My 200EFI is out there trying to find a block
    Going to check on it Friday Ben there sinse Oct.
    Got a hole in block Not hooking up oiler

10. Member
    I forgot my motor is out West side on HY10
    under stand he is real good

11. Member
    Do you mean you did or did not go to manual oil additions instead of oil injection system.
    Engine blew is clear.

12. Member
    I went manual today and will mix at 50:1 been LONG time since I have done it that way

13. Member
    Thanks for ur input

14. Member
    Well I have all my part so it want be long.
    I wish I would never hook mine up
    Never heard any thing on my motor
    And my block was not fix able
    And all cen. where dry

15. Banned
    wise choice for sure