Thread: tilt trim issue

tilt trim issue

Ok still having a tilt trim issue. My motor will go down fine, but sometimes coming back up it sounds real weak. I replaced all the tilt trim fluid and checked for leaks so I'm good there. When it sounds weak I can stop for just a sec then it goes up like normal. I have checked it the last few mornings. Every morning after it has set in the down position over night its weak going up. Once it happens once its good. When I get home I check it again and it does same thing only after it has been sitting all day. I also have noticed it seems not to do it as bad if I have the battery charger hooked up. Not sure if I have a bad battery or bad tilt trim motor. The motor is a 1993 Evinrude Inturder 150. Any help would be appreciated.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    How does the motor turn over OK? You may want to take the positive battery cable off and remove the assortment of red wires on the solenoid off and clean them all and then put them back on so they are all clean and shiny. Clean and tighten your battery connections and make sure your engine ground is clean and tight. Did you bleed the system for air?

3. Member
    Motor seems to turn over good. Yes I did bleed the system. Motor seems to trim up fine when I'm running down the lake. Just does it after it has sit for a few hours. The battery is over 3 years old. Going to check it today to see if it need to be replaced.

4. Member
    Had battery tested it was good so I guess I got a tilt trim motor going bad. I wonder why it only gets weak going up after it has set for a day or so? Once I get it to work good I can fish the rest of day with no problems.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try swapping the relays before you put it to sleep for the night.

6. Member
    Switched trim relays woke up this morning and same thing still struggles to trim up but once it does it's good to go for a while
    Last edited by tnsportsman86; 01-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Just for ha ha's take either a heat gun or a hair dryer and hit the motor with it first thing in the AM. You'll have to leave it trimmed up overnight if you can though.

8. Member
    After checking everything over I replaced the motor and seems to fixed it.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There you go!