Mercury 4S and Lithium

I have heard that a lithium starting battery for the mercury 4 stroke will cause problems. Is this true with any lithium brand battery?

Mercury states their 4 stroke requires an AGM battery only. IIRC, it has to do with the alternator delivering a charge that is not compatible (not sure whether it is too much or too little or some other issue) with lithiums.

Some are using lithium and I have not heard any issues, so who knows!?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

The "who wants lithium" thread discusses that. I think the issue is the alternator puts out a voltage that is higher than the battery's BMS will allow and the battery shuts down. The BMS (Battery Management System) shuts the battery down for high voltage and low voltage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    You have to look at the specifications for your lithium cranking battery. Most of the quality lithium battery brands can handle the alternator voltage output.

No problem with my 250 pro xs 4s with ionic 125. Talk with them. That problem was fixed in 2019.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

6. Member
    I thought I had read that somewhere, just wanted to make sure. Thanks

7. Member
    I have a 2009 merc 115 hp 4s and hooked it to an ionic 100 ah lithium a year ago. I noticed my gauge spiking up and down at wot. Made a call and a bms update was needed. Sent my battery back for upgrade and got a brand new battery back with the new bms installed...no issues since..and haven't had to charge it yet.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Ionics Proprietary BMS was designed specifically to meet the demand of the High AMP charging system of the Mercury 4 stroke. We have many customers who have been running Ionic on the 4 strokes for over a year now.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. mikesxpress
    The Mercury 4 stroke manual specifically states the use of an AGM battery and the minimum battery performance requirements. This is the 1st time Mercury has ever specified a particular battery type. Odyssey group 31 for my cranking battery on the V8 just for that reason alone.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The Mercury 4 stroke manual specifically states the use of an AGM battery and the minimum battery performance requirements. This is the 1st time Mercury has ever specified a particular battery type. Odyssey group 31 for my cranking battery on the V8 just for that reason alone.
    If this is true, then why does Ranger Boats offer an upgrade to a Lithium starting battery on their website when building a boat? I looked at the 621 FS and the Lithium starting battery is an upgrade option for the Mercury 4S motors.

11. Member
    I have a 2020 Mercury 250 4-stroke and have been running an Ionic 125 Ah for my starting battery for over 4 months now, no problems. The battery stays charged all day.At the end of the day when I check my ap on my I-phone, I am always at 97% charge.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    If this is true, then why does Ranger Boats offer an upgrade to a Lithium starting battery on their website when building a boat? I looked at the 621 FS and the Lithium starting battery is an upgrade option for the Mercury 4S motors.
    I don't think anyone can answer for what Johnny Wad's team does? I took delivery of my 250hp 4.6L V8 in July 2018. Both the owners manual and 2" thick service manual I purchased both state AGM. With that AGM being specified by Mercury, any other battery type could be an issue with regards to warranty.