Shipping a trolling motor, or other large package

We have had several post/request about how to ship a large box such a trolling motor, Talon, Powerpole, etc. Stretch asked that this information be pinned to the top, making it easier to find. This is the way we do it, shipping several trolling motors per year.
    We use FedEx, either ground or home delivery, whichever is appropriate.
    >You will need a box, Sporting goods stores are a good source for these. The dimensions should not exceed 129". That is calculated by adding twice the width, twice the depth, and the length together. Anything over this length will get you a "virtual weight" charge instead of charging for actual weight.
    >Pack it to allow for stabilization inside the box. If you're shipping for repair, we don't need things like the mount or the prop. If you're mechanically inclined, you can take the footpedal with harness loose in the head of the trolling motor and ship either the footpedal with harness (to replace control boards, steering cables, or other footpedal repairs) or if a shaft/bearing change or repairs to the lower unit, you can ship the trolling motor without the footpedal/harness. If you not mechanically inclined, just ship the trolling motor with the footpedal still attached. Be sure and use something to "block" damage to the prop shaft.
    >Measure and weigh the box
    >Use FedEx.com to enter the shipping information and create your label. Attach the label to the box and mark out any previous shipping labels that may be on the box
    >Take the box to a FedEx drop off location, NOT to a FedEx shipping store. A shipping store will charge you just to handle the box. At this point, you can even give it to a FedEx driver.
    Hope this helps someone.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    We have had several post/request about how to ship a large box such a trolling motor, Talon, Powerpole, etc. Stretch asked that this information be pinned to the top, making it easier to find. This is the way we do it, shipping several trolling motors per year.
    We use FedEx, either ground or home delivery, whichever is appropriate.
    >You will need a box, Sporting goods stores are a good source for these. The dimensions should not exceed 129". That is calculated by adding twice the width, twice the depth, and the length together. Anything over this length will get you a "virtual weight" charge instead of charging for actual weight.
    >Pack it to allow for stabilization inside the box. If you're shipping for repair, we don't need things like the mount or the prop. If you're mechanically inclined, you can take the footpedal with harness loose in the head of the trolling motor and ship either the footpedal with harness (to replace control boards, steering cables, or other footpedal repairs) or if a shaft/bearing change or repairs to the lower unit, you can ship the trolling motor without the footpedal/harness. If you not mechanically inclined, just ship the trolling motor with the footpedal still attached. Be sure and use something to "block" damage to the prop shaft.
    >Measure and weigh the box
    >Use FedEx.com to enter the shipping information and create your label. Attach the label to the box and mark out any previous shipping labels that may be on the box
    >Take the box to a FedEx drop off location, NOT to a FedEx shipping store. A shipping store will charge you just to handle the box. At this point, you can even give it to a FedEx driver.
    Hope this helps someone.
    John
    Great advice, and I wish I had seen it before shipping my Terrova to a person I sold it to from the swap/sell section. I had purchased an Ulterra, and so I used the same box to ship the Terrova, which certainly makes sense. Unfortunately, I did not put any additional padding around the lower unit shaft, and UPS dropped the box on the shaft and bent it. The person I sold the Terrova to was awesome to work with and offered to get the motor fixed. It cost me $192 to put a new armature/shaft in the Terrova, but lesson learned...put padding around the lower unit. I had purchased insurance, so now the battle begins with UPS to get my $192 back.
    Phil
    Phil Shuman

3. Member
    Are you able to alter the XI3 /XI5 foot pedal to install and LED to indicate the pedal is on ?

4. Member
    I am going thru this now. I have a fedex account. I have a friend in n indiana selling a 80lb fortrex to friend in new hampshire. He took his box to fedex at 65x18x18 and weighed 90lbs. They wanted 270. Way too much. I told them i would use my fedex account to c what i could come up with. Using those dimensions i came up with a price of 200. I changed the weight from 90 to 65 and it only changed the price to 199. a dollar difference. I then changed the box dimensions to 65x16x16 and it dropped to 100 bucks. So if you can cut the size of the box down a couple inches it can drastically change the price. I have had fedex back charge me once for a shipment that must have been different than what they determined so beware. It is always cheaper doing it with your own account. print up the label stick it on the box and schedule a pickup t your house for a 3 or 4 dollar charge. Way too easy. Very easy to setup your own account at fedex. I use it all the time.

5. Member
    I just shipped a 50 inch MG Tour Digital. 59 x15x15. FedEx revceived by customer next day for just under $140. Little extra cost due paying for shop to assist with their boxes and making materials. Btw. It weighed 65lbs w foot pedal and mount included.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishwilb View Post
    I just shipped a 50 inch MG Tour Digital. 59 x15x15. FedEx revceived by customer next day for just under $140. Little extra cost due paying for shop to assist with their boxes and making materials. Btw. It weighed 65lbs w foot pedal and mount included.
    Yes, that's a little high because you let the shipping place pack and use their box. If you got the box and packed, printed the label from the computer, and dropped it off at a FedEx drop off it would have cost around $70.00.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

FYI, I purchased a couple of 12' Talons that were put in the same box and had thick paper wadded up and packed around both units. Probably seemed adequate by the person who is packed them, but when I went to pick them up, they were pretty beat up. One had to have a new motor cover and control board, along with some minor parts. The other just needed a couple minor parts, but both units have scratches and dings. If you're shipping something large and of value, pack it well and insure it well.
    Scott Inman

8. Member
    I just bought boxes at Uhaul called sport utility box 15x15x just few " short so I took 2 and spray glued them together to make 1 but its all good cause it made it thicker, they make the box for golf clubs and stuff holds 65 pounds,5.95 per box