Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    also be sure check valve in oil hose is not stuck or sticking open letting too much oil in fuel make sure check valve in block working correctly relieving pressure engine off
    I was just getting ready to type in to replace the in line oil check valve between the oil pump and the main fuel line to the carbs.
    The way to check the crank case check valve is to run the engine on a hose or in the water, wait five minutes and loosen the fill cap on your inboard oil tank. If there is pressure released when you open the cap, replace the crank case check valve on the starboard side where the 2nd oil tank hose connects at the engine block.
    The problem could also be a torn or split diaphram in the pulse fuel pump. You can check that by removing the fuel pump from the side of the block to see if there is fuel present from the hole in the rear of the pulse pump after pumping the primer bulb prior to the pump removal.

2. Member
    I'm having a hard time matching/locating my serial # (OB944770) from Don's site.

I'm sure most parts are interchangeable with other years/models but it helps me in figuring out what I'm looking at.

Can someone confirm what I think I need:

857005A1 DIAPHRAGM KIT
    8189941 CHECK VALVE

Thanks!
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

3. Member
    you got it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Try making the first O into a 0, an Oh to a zero.

I had to click on the archive section for mine to pull up, not sure what motor you have, mine is 2002.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Try making the first O into a 0, an Oh to a zero.

I had to click on the archive section for mine to pull up, not sure what motor you have, mine is 2002.
    The "letter Oh" does not exist in serial numbers (only the digit ZERO).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    So my fishing and boating season has been pretty slow... got the boat out last Sunday with a new in line oil check valve. Smokes the same, no change so I guess it's time to replace the pulse fuel pump?

I just wanna fish....

7. Member
    Fished a TX last Saturday. Boat started to hesitate on dead stops and kept bogging at high speed runs. Stopped and fished a few area's then around 1pm it just quit.

All it would to is crank and smelled of gas bad. Got a tow back to the ramp and tried to start one more time. The bulb would not stay hard and I could hear gas leaking from somewhere.

Got the boat home and removed the cowling and the front breather box, it was filled with gas and oil mix. Ordered a new pulse pump rebuild kit, installed it Thursday and started right up on the muffs.

Took it to the closest lake for a water test this evening. Started right up and after warmup ran halfway down the lake with no problems. Stopped and fished for about 20 min, started back up and let it idle for a few and the smoke was almost gone, just the way I've seen others.

Next is to clean or change the plugs again to help the local High School team with their championship this Sunday.

I think I've resolved my issue, or at least I'm happy for now. Thanks for the help and comments.

I just wanna fish....

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good luck... and stop back if you need any assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    This is a great post!
    The OP has very good patience, with almost 9months of an issue.

It all worked out in the end!

Know I know what to look for if I have the same issue on my XR6!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234