Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Excessive Oil Smoking

It's winter and looking back through some of my gopro video's it seems like my 150 Carbed Mercury smokes allot!

OB209646 or 1150767elpto I have 2 number but in question is the 04 powerhead not the LU

It's done it sense when Sanderson Marine installed it 3 years ago. I run standard 89 (not 87) octane fuel and the mercury synthetic oil as recommenced and Don's cocktail of Mercury #1 & #2 as instructed. It's pretty bad when first started and tends to go away once warmer, but always smoky like it's to rich???

It runs great same MPH as when I first got it, 5750 RPM's with a 24p TEMPEST 61mph unloaded and 56 TX ready 54mph with a rider.

When it's warms above freezing I'll get a compression check on her. I figured I would start now...

I'll add a video when it uploads...

Maybe I should have worded the title better... it is what it is lol

Last edited by thesignguy; 01-05-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

2. Member
    nature of the beast...BF

3. Member
    I will also add that it is still factory oil injected, maybe go to premix?

I just wanna fish....

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thesignguy View Post
    I will also add that it is still factory oil injected, maybe go to premix?
    That will make it worse.

How full are you filling your REMOTE oil tank?

Does the remote tank appear "swelled" after you run down the river for 5-10 minutes?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply Don,

I had an issue last year where the main tank (REMOTE?) ran out of oil and the the top tank ran down to the alarm sounding.

Idled back to the ramp, oil was still up top about a 1/4 tank.

Back at the ramp I refiled the main tank (REMOTE?) to 3/4 full and filled top top tank to the mark.

I have not checked any swelling on either tank, it will be a few months before I can get back on the water to test.

I just wanna fish....

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will also need to bleed the air from the ENGINE mounted tank (and line between the two tanks). See the FAQ section for instructions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks!

Just curious as to why air in the line would cause the excessive smoking. Or is this the first step to figuring out the root of the problem?

I just wanna fish....

8. Member
    would insure adequate oil flow to pump and engine tank eliminate air voids in system shouldn't cause more smoke just reprime of system/ check and see if powerhead has thermal valve on stbd cyl head aids in warm up in cool weather these will make engine run rich sometimes until warmed disconnect hose and run it see if smokes less/ you may need link and sync and mixture adjustment on 04 powerhead carbs for idle quality
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

That smoke doesn't look too unreasonable to me. As Joe said above, I'd look into the link and sync and make sure everything is adjusted correctly.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Joe's suggestion on the thermal air valve may indeed be the source. Keep in mind- the valve is designed to open at approximately 100 degrees F (and if the thermostat on the STB bank is sticking open, it may not be opening due to the thermostat).

Smoke level in the video was about normal when cold... engine definitely appeared to be loaded up and rich in the later portions of the video.

11. Member
    thesignguy - not to be a jerk. but maybe try and teach yourself not to throw cig butts in lakes. just bring along a empty plastic bottle and stash them in there.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmilam84 View Post
    thesignguy - not to be a jerk. but maybe try and teach yourself not to throw cig butts in lakes. just bring along a empty plastic bottle and stash them in there.
    Yup.

13. Member
    So I finally got around to doing a cold compression check. Not sure I like the numbers.

PORT STRBRD
    113 118

115 119

118 120

Assuming port is left and starboard is right looking at the back of the engine.

Thoughts???

I just wanna fish....

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Cold compression tests really don't tell you a lot... for best results, follow the recommendations in the link below:

Compression Testing

15. Member
    It was 70+ on Friday so finally got a warm compression results.

Fallowed the directions as Don requested and below are the results:

105 110

108 110

108 110

Hope that helps, not as bad as I thought...

Also on a 70 degree day I ran the engine for about 15 minutes and it never went above 160. I thought they were 185-190 stats, I reved the engine from idle up to 2k and the temp gauge never got went above 160ish? WP psi ranged from 4 to 10 depending on the RPM's.

The only "valve" I saw threaded into the SB head, it has to nipples out on the end. 1 hose ran back up the the lower carb, the other had nothing but the nipple with no hose running to anything.
    Last edited by thesignguy; 02-26-2017 at 05:39 PM.

I just wanna fish....

16. Member
    pull that hose off lower carb go run it/ should be 143 thermos
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Thanks for the reply JOE.

Might be a month before I'm back on the water, does either end need plugged or just leave it hanging?

143 huh... good to know!

I just wanna fish....

18. Member
    leave hose off at carb end for test run

19. Member
    Took the hose off and tried to start at the ramp on the trailer. Tried for about 2 minutes and would not start just sputtered so I put the hose back on and it fired right up? Smoked like a crop dusting plane but did go away once it got warmed up.

Went fishing for about an hour and a half and engine cooled off

Still scratching my head because after it cooled off it was a PITA to get restarted. Thought it was the old plugs so they were just replaced prior to this outing.

Also just idling from one spot to another the temp gauge went to 180, normally it hovers around 155 ish. Gauge is new wrong sender in the gauge?

I just wanna fish....

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try pulling the hose that Joe recommended- but do it after the engine has run for 3-4 minutes. Will be a BEAR to get running when COLD if that hose is off.

When was your Water Pump last replaced?

Temp gauges are virtually useless on this engine series...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast