Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks, Don, will pull the hose after engine has warmed up.

Been 3 years since the the pump was replaced, Sanerson Marine did the last one when the power head was replaced. Stats were replaced then as well

Start with a new pump?
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

2. Member
    3 years is two years too long on a water pump. Be a good idea to replace it.

3. Member
    Shem says put it in forward gear when reinstalling.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttips.htm

Last time I did a water pump I'm pretty sure it was in natural uninstalling and reinstalling. How much of a difference will it make?

I just wanna fish....

4. Member
    Neutral is fine, as long as both are the same it doesn't matter. In forward it can be a little easier for one person to reinstall. When in forward, you can turn prop to align the splines of the driveshaft with the crankshaft. In neutral you have turn the motor with help of someone else turning flywheel or using a remote start switch to bump with starter. Or as some people have done is when pulling the lower mark drive shaft with sharpie at the 12:00 position and reinstall with driveshaft in the same position.

5. Member
    so remove in forward and reinstall in forward, when reinstalling the prop should turn counter clock wise. I'm doing this one by myself this evening... just don't want to mess anything up trying to head back out Saturday morning...

Thanks for the help!

I just wanna fish....

6. Member
    If removing in forward replace in forward. Make sure neither get accidentally put back in neutral. Usually you turn the prop clockwise whe reinstalling in forward gear, the same way the prop would spin in forward gear. Realize it will take a little force to turn but not to hard with one hand as you push lower unit up into motor. Doesn't need to spin much, just enough to align splines. Also, make sure shift shaft and water tube align properly. Usually you align water tube, push up a little more, align shift shaft, push a little more and then spin prop to align drive shaft last. Pull kill switch to avoid any accidents, never heard it happening but you don't want motor starting while holding prop.

7. Member
    Thanks for the explanation, it's been awhile and just don't want to mess anything up. I remember a friend doing his for the first time (years back, 70's merc), somehow the LU got stuck in forward. He had to take the LU to the shop and have it straightened out. Trying to make a club TX Saturday morning.

Ran out of time yesterday but will have to get this done this evening. I'll be back with another update.

Thanks everyone to the helpful replies

I just wanna fish....

8. Member
    Actually I think I got order wrong, first is drive shaft, then water tube the shift shaft. It gets easier the more you do it. I have messed up and had motor and lower unit in different gears but usually you only have to remove and put them back in same gear. Only problem you could mess up is if you force it in and jam shift shaft and mess it up. Just don't force anything, all should slide in without force, if you have to force it something is wrong..

9. Member
    okay, got the pump and impeller replaced. All went pretty smooth and strait forward, that tube gave me a little trouble at first but it went back smooth after that.

Got it out in the driveway and on the muffs, WP was all over the place. at idle around 10-12 then revved up to 2k it was 18? I'm not sure if that's to high, seems high to me. tell tail fluctuated from a trickle to a hard stream. Water temp never went about 155ish although the stream and water pressure fluctuated quite a bit.

Once it was up to temp eveything kinda leveled out a bit, had forward and reverse as well so I did something right.

Does this sound normal?

I just wanna fish....

10. Member
    Normal, I asked the same question after my first replacement, my water pressure was high too, it's normal, it will fall some after a trip or two running it.

11. Member

Poppit Valve

It's normal for a new impeller to pump at a higher pressure but that's where the poppit valve comes in. Many... most folks overlook the maintenance of that valve assy. It opens and relieves the pump at higher pressures. If you were to keep your eyes on the water psi gauge during throttle up you'd notice the pressure rise initially then suddenly fall off and start to rise again with rpm. The fall off is the poppit opening as a result of increasing water psi. The valve requires a little more work to get to but is as important as the main pump in its maintenance routine. If the valve fails open or partially open you will suffer low water psi at lower rpm. If it fails closed or fails to open completely your water psi will be too high resulting in increased pressure and (too much) water flow through block resulting in erratic engine temps. Look into it.

You'll have to remove the lower right cowling. After that it's straight forward and under $20 for the kit assuming the housings are good
    Last edited by Surfjeepzx; 04-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good info on the poppet valve.

Doubt seriously there is a problem there in this case. Elevated pressures (especially at idle) are common after a complete pump replacement, and will tame down after a couple of outings to the lake.

Remember- on this engine telltale comes from the THERMOSTATS. It will be present only when the thermostat(s) are open, may come and go as they open and close, and will be SCALDING HOT when present on this model.

As suggested earlier- temp gauge is virtually useless on this engine model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good info on the poppet valve.

Doubt seriously there is a problem there in this case. Elevated pressures (especially at idle) are common after a complete pump replacement, and will tame down after a couple of outings to the lake.

Remember- on this engine telltale comes from the THERMOSTATS. It will be present only when the thermostat(s) are open, may come and go as they open and close, and will be SCALDING HOT when present on this model.

As suggested earlier- temp gauge is virtually useless on this engine model.
    Glad you're feeling better Don!

Found out the hard way (as usual) about the SCALDING HOT water. I could tell that the stats were working, from a trickle to a hard stream from the tell tail.

Any suggestions for a different way to monitor the water temp or can I pull the gauge out?

I did have the boat out on Saturday and WP and temp (FWIW) was fine all day. Because it was a TX I did not remove the hose after the boat started, I'll be back out next Saturday to remove the hose.

I'll update next time I have the boat out again. Thanks again...

I just wanna fish....

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Best method (JMHO) is to change water pump ANNUALLY, verify warning horn (overheat) is functional, and monitor water pressure via gauge.

Ie: Rely on warning horn and water pressure gauge as your guides.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    and just so I know the alarm is a steady beep... beep... beep... beep ect correct?

I just wanna fish....

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Warning horn can be a SOLID TONE (BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP): Overheat

Four beeps, Pause, Four Beeps: Low oil level

Fast Beeping: Oil pump rotational problem (and/or Water in Fuel on EFI models).

17. Member
    Started up with the hose connected, ran down the lake fished for about 2 hours. Before the run back I removed the hose, started right up and did not smoke near as much. Got back to the ramp and observed 2 things, some exhaust is coming from under the cowling. With the engine idling at the dock it did not smoke near what it normally does, it was 80+ today if that makes a difference.

Also the serial number for the power head is OT944770 not the one in my op.

Also at the ramp when I idle up I noticed water running down the cowling like something is not sealed when I did the water pump??? WP was 6 at idle at 20 running down the lake.

I just wanna fish....

18. Member
    From what I've been reading I believe my Thermal Air Valve is the culprit. If so that's a salty little bugger...

Heading back out Sunday and will see if leaving the hose unhooked will help.
    Last edited by thesignguy; 05-19-2017 at 08:53 AM.

I just wanna fish....

19. Member
    [QUOTE=JOE54;7995419] check and see if powerhead has thermal valve on stbd cyl head aids in warm up in cool weather these will make engine run rich sometimes until warmed disconnect hose and run it see if smokes less/ could be
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any results yet?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast