Running Mercmonitor and Factory Tach ?

I tried searching but couldn't find the answer to my question...I have a Triton with the large speedo/fuel gauge on left and the large factory tach/trim gauge on the right. I have a 2003 Optimax 225 (Serial No: 0T666443). I already have the MM installed in the factory tach/trim gauge spot, but to be able to see it better I want to move it to the speedo/fuel gauge side instead (I already emailed Rhonda about pricing for fuel harness). My question is....when I reinstall the factory tach/trim is it ok to wire the factory tach back in? In other words, it hurt anything to run both tachs? I assume that I shouldn't wire the factory trim back since I have the digital trim installed on the MM?
    Last edited by TNTriton; 01-05-2017 at 02:21 PM.

2. Member
    You need System Link gauges for what ever it is that you want to read. You don't use the stock wiring.

3. Member
    The MM is already installed and working. I just want to remove the speedo/fuel on the left and move it there. Then I want to reinstall the old tach/trim back in the original spot and hook them to the original wiring. Not sure if it would mess up something or not tho.

4. Member
    It will work just fine. The only thing that might not work is if you changed out the trim sender on the engine to read trim on the smartcraft. But if it still has the analogue sender the trim will work just like it did before. Tack will also work just like it did before.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTriton View Post
    The MM is already installed and working. I just want to remove the speedo/fuel on the left and move it there. Then I want to reinstall the old tach/trim back in the original spot and hook them to the original wiring. Not sure if it would mess up something or not tho.
    I see. The tach will work, but the trim wont.

6. Member
    Thanks fellas! I didn't think it would hurt to run both tachs, but just wanted to make sure.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jav View Post
    It will work just fine. The only thing that might not work is if you changed out the trim sender on the engine to read trim on the smartcraft. But if it still has the analogue sender the trim will work just like it did before. Tack will also work just like it did before.
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor