Carbontex Drag Washers

I know they are inexpensive but are they worth it? I'm refreshing several of my older reels and was wondering if this is something I should do. I know I need something new in my Chronarch 100b because when I hook a bait to the bait keeper on the rod for storage I come back later and there is slack in the line, is that a drag issue? It has done that since day 1.

2. Member
    Reel professionals have installed them in many of my reels and I like them. The dartanium drags that came out after your reel I think decompose over time and the drag upgrade well worth it. You have not down side other then $8 or so. In that regard, go for it.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    The slack in your line is from the anti reverse bearing slipping not the drag . I have had this happen on several shimanos and it is my belief that it is the anti reverse .

I just went through an old citica d that was about ready for the trash with some new bearings and some carbontex drag washers and that thing is good as new and the drag feels stronger than ever

I've used Carbontex drag washers in my reels for years. It's been my experience that when properly installed, they increase both smoothness and power in many reels. They are an excellent product!

The Tackle Trap is a BBC sponsor and Carbontex dealer, I was using them long before The Tackle Trap ever existed

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...&cPath=898_651

6. Member
    Will the Shimano drag grease work good with these washers (already have some) or is something else recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Will the Shimano drag grease work good with these washers (already have some) or is something else recommend?
    It's fine. I have used Cal's Drag Grease on my carbontex, for a long time and so sparingly, it's almost like not using any at all. I clean any excess grease off the key washers, inside the drive gear, or anywhere the drag washers may touch prior to an install. Then I apply a very small "dab" of grease between my fingers before basically knocking the dust off the drag washers with grease before installation. If too much grease is applied to carbontex, I've found it reduces their effectiveness.

Now that Tackle Trap is also a ZPI dealer their lubricants for both drag washers and bearings will be much more readily available. Same deal there, I've used Friction Zero oils, grease, and high quality ZPI spool bearings since before TTT existed

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I've used Carbontex drag washers in my reels for years. It's been my experience that when properly installed, they increase both smoothness and power in many reels. They are an excellent product!

The Tackle Trap is a BBC sponsor and Carbontex dealer, I was using them long before The Tackle Trap ever existed

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...&cPath=898_651
    I ordered a couple of sets from smoothdrag.com before I started this post. I'd like to order a set from you guys. I need a set for some older Curados a 200BSF and two 200B models.

I ordered a couple of sets from smoothdrag.com before I started this post. I'd like to order a set from you guys. I need a set for some older Curados a 200BSF and two 200B models.
    This set is what you'll need for each of those reels, thank you!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=2948

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    This set is what you'll need for each of those reels, thank you!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=2948
    Just ordered, even got another for my OLD Calcutta 250. Thanks!!

Any idea when you may get some RCS cork knobs in? The website shows sold out.

Just ordered, even got another for my OLD Calcutta 250. Thanks!!

Any idea when you may get some RCS cork knobs in? The website shows sold out.
    Thank you! The next shipment of RCS cork knobs are due in from Japan next week. The site will be updated as soon as they arrive.

12. Member
    I've installed Carbontex drag washers in several of my old Ambassadeurs.
    The difference in drag strength and smoothness is remarkable and well worth the price.

Tom

13. Member
    In those old ambassadors they make a huge difference.

14. Member
    They are an improvement to any reels drag system that does not have the carbon washers already. I have them in every reel I own except my Daiwa T3's and they don't need them. I prefer to run them dry. Best reel upgrade out there in my opinon.

I know they are inexpensive but are they worth it? I'm refreshing several of my older reels and was wondering if this is something I should do. I know I need something new in my Chronarch 100b because when I hook a bait to the bait keeper on the rod for storage I come back later and there is slack in the line, is that a drag issue? It has done that since day 1.
    Are you using braid on those? You can find some slack in line on a braid setup.

Its not an anti reverse issue. Depending on the model of the reel, you can have some slippage from several things. Too much grease on the drag, too loose of a drag etc.

And yes, upgrading inferior single stack drag systems to Carbontex can have several benefits. I change out Shimano drags for some guys when I am working on their reels.

16. Member
    All of my reels had 50lb PowerPro from when I lived down south where it was basically a must. Now I'm up here and fishing Table Rock so mono and fluorocarbon. The Chronarch B was bad about getting slack after sitting with a bait hooked to the keeper on a rod. I just got my order in from Smoothdrag.com today and have some coming from Tackle Trap probably tomorrow. I just finished putting a set in my Core a few minutes ago and just pulling the line I can tell a huge difference, very smooth and consistent. I'm going through and cleaning all my reels and ordered washers for all but my newest ones, I'll be getting some for those now.

17. Member
    I just bought a new 2500 Stradic Ci4 and 1000 FK a month or so ago, should I go ahead and do washers in them or keep the factory ones in for a while since they're new? I think I'm going to order a set for a FJ and another older spinner.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    I just went through an old citica d that was about ready for the trash with some new bearings and some carbontex drag washers and that thing is good as new and the drag feels stronger than ever
    Whenever I send a reel in for cleaning or upgrading a Carbontex drag kit is almost always part of the process.

I'm pretty sure from now on any time I have to open the gear side of a reel I won't pit other back together without putting some carbontex drags in