Thread: Fiberglass tub

Fiberglass tub

Was wondering if you can paint a fiberglass tub, I am sure there is a lot of prep but i am sure there is a kit. Any info would be great.

yes, lowes or Home Depot has a kit! colors are Almond and white. Easy to do just follow instructions in the Kit.

3. Member
    I would not recommend painting a tub, especially a fiberglass one that has flex to it... that is going to be used frequently. It won't last and will turn ugly really soon with frequent use. The ugliness usually starts with a scratch that allows the painted surface to be penetrated with water and then it gets worse and worse...especially if small children use the tub with associated bath toys. If this tub gets a lot of use you are going to be disappointed soon... If it is only subject to an occasional use..you may be happy with it. This advise comes from 33 years in the remodeling and construction business...I hope that this helps you out some.

4. Member
    I have painted a lot of old porcelain tubs, but not a fiberglass. Would need to be something like gel coat, not epoxy. I am doing an old claw foot steel tub now for a renovation job.
    Just replace a fiberglass tub.

5. Member
    Thanks for the great ideas, the problem is it is a bastard size tub/shower and cannot find one that size. Old mobil home.

6. Member
    I know the feeling when it comes to a mobile home...we have a 1975 mobile home on a lake lot in Sebring Fla. on Lake Istakpoga...It was a bear to remodel, even for me and I am in the business! You will need to find a new tub, in my opinion. I would look on line for mobile home tubs...maybe try googling "mobile home bathtubs"..or look for a mobile home parts dealer locally....

7. Member
    I just checked at Home Depot on line...if your tub is a 4 1/2 ftr...Home Depot has them on line in right and left drains...Bootz brand...this also leads me to believe that Lowes on line will have something too! Hope this helps you out...

8. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I know this is over a week old but most mobile home tubs and showers are plastic not fiberglass.

9. Member
    I would think that the size would be the only thing that matters. There will be a problem with the back and side panels to get the tub out regardless of plastic or fiberglass composition....in my opinion...as there should be a lip on the tub for waterproofing that is behind the wall panels.

I work for a company who does alot of rehabs. We order mobile home tubs and surrounds all the time.These are the exact models we remove. Hope you can find one that matches yours.
    http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/cate..._By=disp_order

11. Member
    Thank you guys so much for the input.