Bilge access winter project

My only complaint about my Phoenix is the lack of access to the bilge area and pumps. Two boats before my Phoenix I was in some bad weather, wind and rain, and noticed my boat lugging along. I checked the bilge area and although the pump was running no water was moving. Stripped out blades on the pump. All I needed to do, right there on the water, was twist off a live-well pump, and switch it with the bilge. Ran the live-well and it pumped water out. Can't do that with my Phoenix.
    So I'm thinking about modifying the steel cover plate that restricts access. I have dual power poles and 4 batteries. One battery sits partially on the plate and the two pumps do as well.
    My initial plan is to cut a hole in the plate so at least I can see a little better and reach a little better in there. I would like to make it as big as possible but not under the pumps and battery. Perhaps weld reinforcing if it looks to be weekened. Just my initial plan.
    Has anyone done any mods to gain access to the bilge area?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

You could epoxy studs onto the boat instead of using the screws. One on each corner would work. Then use a wing nut style T-handle nut on the stud for quick removal.

You'd still need to leave extra hose on your pwr pole hyd lines so they could be set on the rear deck while still att'd to the plate. If you have a battery on the plate, run supports from port to starboard sides and split the plate to be able to only remove the section w/ the hyd pumps. You might have to shim up the portion of battery box that is on the glass if you went this route.

Your rig has dual bilge pumps. Do you think if one failed the other wouldn't be sufficient? ?

^^^^^^ And you could also have a third emergency pump. Have two clips on the wires to attach to the battery and done. Much easier than doing all that.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

That is the good thing about the birds. Dual bilge and completely separate livewells. Something should always work if one pump goes out. Granted I agree I wish they were a littor easier to get too but while on the water I know I probably wouldbt have to work on something.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Maybe I am overly concerned given my past experience.
    But recently I did have a "screw loose" in the bilge area. And when I went to remove the drain plug it got wedged on the inside and wouldn't let me turn it. I had to do contortions to get my hand down there to feel what was lodged in there and remove it.
    It would be nice if they did design it better. I'll need to think this thru a little more.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    On my skeeter, to get to the pumps and valves you had to remove the oil tank, cover and gas tank....now that was a hassle....the Phoenix is just two plates with screws, pretty easy and the bilge area is not deep (compared to my skeeter)......worst case, remove the vertical plate and leave uncovered....i got a power pole so the pump will be setting on the bottom plate so it would need to be removed or have extra hose left so it could be moved around...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Hell on some legends you have to remove the damn FUEL tank to get to the BATTERIES.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    Hell on some legends you have to remove the damn FUEL tank to get to the BATTERIES.
    Yesh..I looked at some. Only the V20 had accessible area

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Dam, that sucks.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Yes that would suck. Talk about a poor design.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

I habe a 2015 919. I have 2 bilge pumps? Can you explain the concept and function..how it works? Mine is makeing more noise than normal.....anything to worry about?

You have an auto and a manual pump. The auto has a float switch on it to make it run if there is enough water in the bilge.

What kind of noise is it making?
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

13. Member
    Power pole also sells quick disconnects for the hyro lines http://www.power-pole.com/quick-disc...gs-5-16-tubing
    2021 Phoenix 21Phx DC 250 Pro Xs 12" Atlas (4) Garmin 1006sv 112 Ultrex, C-channle, SeaDeck
    2018 Phoenix 721 ProXp 250 250 Yamaha SHO
    2015 Phoenix 920 ProXP 250 Merc
    2011 Phoenix 721 ProXP 250 Merc

Louder than normal. Didnt realize there were 2. Thought the manual and auto were one and the same.