Thread: Black Cats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Black Cats

The thread about the black bobcat got me thinking about how many people have seen black cats while out hunting. I have a farm in Breckinridge County Kentucky and I saw a large black cat while hunting the first day of modern gun season this year. I hear a noise that sounded similar to a doe blowing when spooked. I watched down the logging road in the direction that the noise came from and large black cat stepped out of the woods, stood there long enough for me to get a scope on it to get a look at it, then walked off. I originally thought it was a abnormally large black bobcat until it turned and I saw the long tail that it had. IT was the size of a german shepherd. A hunting buddy of mine said he saw one on my place 9 years ago. We've been calling him crazy for the past 9 years. Now I know he wasn't crazy, as I saw one with my own eyes.

What type of cat could that have been? Have any of you seen one like that while hunting? Do you think it has a very large range that it travels? Or would could it be possible that it is living there near my place?
    Lee Blakeman

2. Member
    How much did you have to drink before you started seeing things, leave the shine alone.
    Sounds like you have a panther hanging around. DNR said they were not in Indiana until one young one was hit in the county south of me. Im in Howard Co

Haha...that's the same question I asked my hunting buddy when he told me he saw one on the wood line of my field years ago. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Seems like once a year or so while we are riding 4-wheelers or cleaning up the logging roads we find cat tracks in the mud that are too big to be a bobcat. My property is pretty close to the Ohio River with a lot of rock faces and places for cats to hide. Guess there is possibility of a panther living close enough to pass through my place from time to time.

Seeing stuff like that is one of the reasons I love sitting in the woods.
    Lee Blakeman

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    How much did you have to drink before you started seeing things, leave the shine alone.
    Sounds like you have a panther hanging around. DNR said they were not in Indiana until one young one was hit in the county south of me. Im in Howard Co
    link or picture??

DNR says it's like BIGFOOT. They don't exist. I saw one several years back (cat that is) and there is no mistaking it. I saw a black long tail cat I would estimate around 80-100 lbs.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

6. Member
    Friends of mine claim we have them here in ENC .Most say a carnival guy had some penned up and they got lose in the late 70s. I hear it from time to time, unfortunately Ive not had the fortune to see them.

7. Member
    I don't believe they exist. Sorry if it rubs anyone the wrong way. The only black cat is a small Florida Panther found in Southern Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I don't believe they exist. Sorry if it rubs anyone the wrong way. The only black cat is a small Florida Panther found in Southern Florida.

I dont believe either. For as many "sightings" as there are, someone would have a legit picture of one. Everyone has a camera on their phone now days and tons of trail cameras all over the country, still no videos or photos. There are alot of mountain lions, Bobcats and Lynx on camera, just no "black" cats.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

10. Member
    ^^^^Sorry but I'm not buying that. I will side with Ky dept of fish and wildlife, "to our knowledge, they don't exist, if someone sees one, Kill it, we'd like to see it", this is what the KDFWR said on a TV program about hunter safety right before hunting season a couple years ago. They were taking live calls on the air of the show, when someone called in asking about Black Panthers.

11. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    It's Bigfoot's pet kitty, find Bigfoot and you'll find the black cat.

^^^^Sorry but I'm not buying that. I will side with Ky dept of fish and wildlife, "to our knowledge, they don't exist, if someone sees one, Kill it, we'd like to see it", this is what the KDFWR said on a TV program about hunter safety right before hunting season a couple years ago. They were taking live calls on the air of the show, when someone called in asking about Black Panthers.
    Yep on a radio show here the Alabama fish wildlife director said the same thing. Basically the only black panthers in the world are in Asia or Africa. With that said I've heard the same stories of sightings here as most have.
    2014 Ranger Z518c - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Humminbird

13. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have a hard time believing, I have a friend who swears he had one and her kittens walk right under him when bow hunting several years ago. This is a man I have never even heard stretch the truth, much less lie. Where he was hunting was less than a mile from where a man had pet lions and a pet black panther less than 10 years before so who knows about that.

I have never seen one.

14. Banned
    I saw one dead and actual touched it, in 1997, week of Christmas there was a rancher in Spur Tx on the salt fork of the bravos river that owned 15k acres of land that borderd my in laws ranch that killed a big black cat. As I came from the ranch to town that evening there was a large group of people gathered at the cotton gin surrounding the back of a truck. I pulled in thinking there was a big deer killed and saw this cat, Jet Black, weighing in the 80-90lb range. The hair was different than mountain lions killed in the area as far as texture and the eye color was weird. I had heard stories about certain times of the year these black panthers or whatever you call them traveled through that river bottom. I do know the cat was sent to a Taxidermist and was full body mounted and hung in this mans house till he died in '09 and after that I have no idea where it ended up, it may have been lost in the fire when the house burnt down in '11

Now, if this was a mountain lion that had some kind of color defect like th Bobcat in the other thread,,,,, I have no idea. Was it a "black Panther" I have no idea, all I know it was a big black freakin cat that I wish I had on my wall and to be honest it was a beautiful animal with big ass teeth and big claws and the prettiest black coat I've ever seen.

Doesn't rub me the wrong way. I'm not saying it was a panther. I'm just saying I saw a cat that was much larger than a bobcat, had a long tail, and appeared to be black. I'm not really sure what other kinds of wild cats we have in Kentucky along the Ohio River, but I guess it could have been a very dark brown colored mountain lion. If it was, I'd say it was a younger one. I've never seen a mountain lion, but I would assume it is bigger than the cat that I saw. I've seen my fair share of bobcats while hunting, so I know for sure it wasn't a bobcat.
    Lee Blakeman

16. Member
    I have seen one along with two other people in my area. One friend has seen one, probably the same one, three times. You can believe or not but I know I saw a cat and it was black, with a weight of around 100 lbs.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

" A Few Good Fish"

Go on YouTube. Theres quite a few videos.
    " A Few Good Fish"

All these so called sightings, especially during hunting season. Why hasn't someone shot the thing ??? Makes you wonder.
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...IjOZs9Hi2ZQoVA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast