Top Cap Question?

I was looking for an answer to my question and came across this post http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post1439142 and he has the same problem and was never answered. Some of the flake has turned silver, same thing has happened on my old Ranger. Any input?

If the original clear gelcoat is really thin or almost completely gone sometimes the polyflakes will turn silver when sanding as they are to the point of almost being exposed due to lack of clear gel left.
    Not much you can do about the lost clear gelcoat, once it gets that thin/bad, other than a respray.

3. Member
    I had the same problem, having the top cap redone in a few weeks.

4. Member
    who did you get to re do you top cap

5. Member
    I have a Boat shop 10 miles from my house that is going to do it.

6. Member
    Just purchased a 1995 Javelin 377A with same thing the red flake has been sanded down past clear coat and some places. The carpet and seats have been redone. Luckily I have a friend that just resprayed his Stratos. He will respray the top cap red for me and then shoot clear on top of it this year. I will do the sanding and polishing a prep work for him. The top cap is red and silver flake, the silver is still good and there is a wide pinstripe in between the red and silver which is where I will tape off the red. Just to spray red and then flake. the take tape off and spray the whole top cap with clear. well sounds easy enough, just have to wait and see. LOp

7. Member
    Make sure hes not spraying automotive clear or itll
    look worse than it does now in short order. Clear gel only
    They aint got hands, set the hook