Question Which Talon bracket for Dyna-Trak jackplate

Hello all,
    On the bandwagon on buying soon a 12 ft Talon with Tilt bracket and bracket to mount Talon to.
    I'm submitting a left side and right side image of transom/jackplate/engine.
    Looking at the images, which bracket- sandwich or jackplate mounted I would need.
    Wrote Minn Kota asking which bracket based on my jackplate and boat model.
    They said I would need a sandwich version. I'm planning to mount it on the port side.

BTW, it's a 1994 Ebbtide DynaTrak 194 STE with 200xp Evinrude engine, near prime condition as per image.
    Of course the jackplate is from DynaTrak. Minn Kota did not get to see the images.
    Your the expert guys here and may know.
    I thought looking at other jackplates and boats out there, the bracket appeared it would be able to mount on the jackplate rather than be in between jackplate and engine.

I've been looking around for decent prices for the 12 ft Talons (color not too important) and a tilt bracket (future situations if they come up) and which bracket to mount on boat as a jackplate version or sandwich.
    Any help is appreciated. If there are good sources for reasonably priced for these items in question, let me know. Noticed Talons going down in price recently. Unless one of you has one to let go for a song.
    Again thanks for any input and best choice(s) I may have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 01-04-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: New image

Hi! From the pics you posted it looks like it should work. If you send me your email, I'll send you a specs sheet on the jackplate adapter bracket (which Minn kota sent me). Clearance around your adjuster looks to be the main concern. I can tell you the thickness of the bracket where it bolts to the outside of your jackplate is .750" (3/4")
    Scott Inman

3. Member
    Thanks Scott for your input. I got the installation guide from Minn Kota. Good to know the thickness I can check with jackplate.
    Im sure local to me may be a dealer but not found so far and figured getting all the parts together be a no brainer.
    Any additional input welcomed.

4. Member
    Just a quick note, something i noticed on jackplate is the name of mfg. It's from Vance MFG if it's any help.
    Looking at their web site it looks like model JPL4000. However it's probably made for the boat.
    If any of you out there has a similar set up, let me know. Ready to spring for the 12ft talon with tilt bracket but the bracket is the hang up.
    I would prefer it mount on the side of jackplate for ease of installation BUT if need a sandwich style then I need to figure how to install.
    That is without the help of a forklift or whatever to get engine moved out a bit. If one of you has a trick up your sleeve on this matter, let me know.

5. Member
    Ok...went ahead and bought the 12ft Talon (silver/white) (good color to keep Talon cooler on hot days instead of dark colors) and Tilt bracket.
    Now just need some input for the bracket situation. I did write Vance Mfg having to wait till next week for an answer for my jackplate model and Talon installation.
    Any input kindly accepted.

6. Member
    Wrote earlier to Vance Mfg and replied back it was phase out couple years back but same model as JPL4000.
    I went ahead and got the sandwich version as per Vance Mfg and others.
    Only question is with limited tools (hoist) can I remove safely bolts from engine/jackplate and install bracket. How go about it.
    Any input appreciated
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 01-10-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Grammar

7. Member
    Bump...
    Do i need longer bolts for installation? You've read this thread and looking for any tips. Making sure using floor jack under skeg, lowering trailer front end will do it. Any pictures, videos appreciated or to a link. Looking to install between engine and jack plate.
    You tube got lots of side jack plate installation but hardly any on a sandwich type mounting using tools found at home.

If your existing bolts have at least an extra 3/4" showing, they should work. If not, get a set 3/4" of s. steel bolts & self lock nuts, and washers. Use anti seize lube on threads and torque to 50 ft lbs. Re-check torque periodically!
    Scott Inman

9. Member
    Thanks again Scott clarifying bolts situation. I'm planning on placing bracket between engine and jack plate. Once it's warmed up outside, I'll get going. Probably will lower front of trailer then lower engine and loosen bolts on one side and take one at a time to insert sandwich bracket repeating same for other bolt. Then will add shim to other side same way. Only concern is the stability of the engine and ease of bolts tightening. Reading here is I should still use anti seize for the bolts and possibly longer bolts (if needed).

10. Member

Same issue, need the bracket that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by scotti509 View Post
    Hi! From the pics you posted it looks like it should work. If you send me your email, I'll send you a specs sheet on the jackplate adapter bracket (which Minn kota sent me). Clearance around your adjuster looks to be the main concern. I can tell you the thickness of the bracket where it bolts to the outside of your jackplate is .750" (3/4")
    Please send me the bracket that Minnkota said would work whit this type of Jack plate. Could one mount to the outside of motor mount bolts, instead of sandwiching between the motor and jackplate? Thanks

11. Member
    Got the job done a couple weeks ago and was basically a piece of cake. I was leary at first but got a hold of a Harbor Freight engine hoist. Made the bracket as recommended in the engine forum to hold it up.
    The Dynatrack jackplate uses the sandwich Minn Kota bracket (Model style I have).
    The side mounted bracket would probably not clear the bolts and nut found on sides. Looks good now.
    Adding pics to this discussion but also encourage you check better and more pics using this link.
    Pictures near bottom of page.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post8317691
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 04-29-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: New link to pics.

Quote Originally Posted by LunkerLord View Post
    Got the job done a couple weeks ago and was basically a piece of cake. I was leary at first but got a hold of a Harbor Freight engine hoist. Made the bracket as recommended in the engine forum to hold it up.
    The Dynatrack jackplate uses the sandwich Minn Kota bracket (Model style I have).
    The side mounted bracket would probably not clear the bolts and nut found on sides. Looks good now.
    Adding pics to this discussion but also encourage you check better and more pics using this link.
    Pictures near bottom of page.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post8317691
    Are there any more pics? How is the power pole holding up. I am thinking of adding one this year.