Fuel Venting Problem

I have a 2012 H20B and having issues putting fuel into the boat. When pumping fuel into the boat, the gas is backing up and slashing out of the filler neck. I am assuming this is a fuel tank venting problem so I traced the vent tube from the tank and it runs into this round black cylinder type device that is around 2" x 12" or so and then eventually the vent line runs out to a vent outlet in the splash well. Does anyone know what this black cylinder device is? My thoughts is it's some EPA device to restrict fuel fumes from getting out? I am thinking this could be a root cause for the vent problem? Has anyone else experienced some thing similar? Any help is appcreciated.

Remove the black canister. I brought my boat back to the dealer because of the issue you are having. They removed the black canister and it helped a lot

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    I was thinking about trying that but was not sure what the canister was for or if the fuel system needed it. That's an easy fix. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Banned
    Its a charcoal canister for emissions. Doesnt need to be there.

5. Member
    I'm not sure why the manufacturer would spend extra money to install the canister if it's not needed unless its required by the EPA or to satisfy some other government regulation? Its good to know its not needed. I will remove it and will update the thread the next time I refuel the boat. Hopefully this fixes the issue. I just purchased the boat a couple of months ago and its been a big pain adding fuel up until now. Thanks again for the information.
    Last edited by xpress2002; 01-04-2017 at 09:39 AM.

6. Member
    Mine is an 08 and didnt come with a charcoal canister. I disconnect the vent line from the tank when I fill it and that seems to work very well
    2008 XPRESS H18
    2017 MERC 150 4S

Mine does it if I fuel from behind straight in, if I put the nozzle in from the side I can fuel fast with no issues.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

8. Member
    My 2013 was a nightmare to fuel, needing to find a station where I could park with the bow lower than the stern, and then trickling the fuel in at the lowest possible rate. This year it got to the point where I was having to fill a can and transfer that into the boat because the fuel coming out of the pump foamed too bad, backed up and shut off the pump.

I messed with the vent line, and tried removing it while filling and there was no difference.

I ended up removing the stupid check valve Xpress installed in the filler line. I can now run the pump wide open and fuel in less than 5 minutes as opposed to 10-15 minutes.

9. Member
    I've never noticed an issue with mine. maybe they fixed it?
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

10. Member
    I have a check valve in my filler line as well. I was thinking about taking it out but I wanted to try bypassing the charcoal canister vent line first, if that does not fix the problem then the check valve is gone!

11. Member
    The biggest problems when refueling these boats always seem to be related to the charcoal canisters and/or check valves in some of the newer boats ....... or in the slightly older boats like VANDERA and I's 2008 models they put the vent tube breather end inside the fuel fill assembly and located it on the lower side of the assembly. So that when gas accumulates on the low side of that fill, it goes down that vent tube and usually that tube will have a bend in it somewhere, which doesn't allow the gas to drain out completely, which doesn't allow the displaced air inside the tank to escape, which causes them to 'spit up' through the fill.

IDK if it's technically legal, but I do believe if I owned a newer boat I'd re-do all the plumbing into that gas tank and just straight hose it from the fill and straight hose a vent breather.

I had a Skeeter once that used to give me fits when it came to putting fuel in it. I distinctly remember the only way to get fuel in it was to flip the gas station nozzle upside down while fueling.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

12. Member

13. Member
    Update on original vent problem post:

I purchased a Perko PKO-1318DPGBLK fuel filler cap with built in vent connection. - $30 West Marine
    I purchased two feet of new 1 1/2" fuel hose - $30 Local Boat Dealer
    I replaced my current fuel filler cap that did not have the vent line connection with the new Perko cap.
    I replaced the old 1 1/2 fuel line (it had an inline check valve) with the new fuel line
    I disassembled and removed the black charcoal canister from the fuel system.
    I re-routed the 5/8 vent line directly to the new fuel filler cap, bypassing the old charcoal canister vent system

RESULTS: Filling fuel is no longer a problem, fuel can be pumped wide open now. No issues at all with fuel pushing back out of the filler cap.
    $60 for new filler cap and hose ... fueling boat without any issues ... Priceless!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xpress2002; 01-26-2017 at 01:03 PM.

14. Member
    I had to use Perko 1319DPGBLK Black Marine Fuel Deck Fill and Tank Vent on express h20b, the angled will not work.