Thread: Triton 179 TRX

Triton 179 TRX

Greetings,

I'd like to purchase a boat in the next several months but I'm limited on what I can get due to my garage. I have a maximum depth of 23' but I have two 8' doors instead of one 16' door. Even if I had a 9' door I'd have a lot more options.

So, I'm thinking of the 179 TRX. I believe it will fit and from what I've read on the forum folks are really satisfied with them. With that, I'd appreciate some additional information from anyone that has one that and has a few minutes.

Here are the questions I have so far that I can't find on the Triton site or on the forum:

• What is the maximum width of the boat and trailer at the widest spot?
    • What's the stability like while fishing with two average sized adults?
    • Is it easy to fish three on occasion?
    • What's the maximum persons on the Coast Guard decal? Website only shows 600lbs.
    • What's the maximum rod length in storage?
    • What's the maximum rod length on front deck without hanging over the edge?
    • Is it easy to fish from?
    • What option did you get that you wish you hadn't?
    • What option do you wish you would have gotten?
    • Is a 115hp sufficient for the boat?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Bob

PS. If you have other suggestions for a fiberglass bass boat that will squeeze through an 8' wide door, please let me know.

I don't know the demensions/specifics about the 179, but I'm sure an owner will be by shortly. You asked about other boats that fit through an 8' garage door. BassCat will be introducing a new model in a month or two...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=765453

3. Member
    You can get all the info at Tritonboats.com That said I have a 189 TRX my garage is 24' deep with the tongue out I have about a foot with the tongue collapsed I have 3' or more OH I have my 189 TRX on a double axle trailer. I've had an older 17' Triton with a 90HP for what you are saying I would up it to the 18 TRX or the 189 TRX both are the same boat and size just rigged different, the 150 4 stroke will go 55mph 150 pro 60mph and 200 70+mph. all better for three people loaded boat. I had a TR 21 before qnd it fit my 24' deep garage with out collapsing tongue. i think all the new Triton boats are wide so 8' will be a close fit.

4. Member
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately the Triton site doesn't cover the questions I have. At least not that I found. Also, the issue with the garage isn't the depth but the width of the door.

Would like to to hear from 179 owners or from anyone that knows of other boats with trailers that will fit an 8' garage. Thanks jlg309, I'll look into the BassCat.

5. Member
    SatBob,
    Give me some time an I will answer all you questions. I have a 2017 Triton with the 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I love my boat. Still changing out props. 2 adults can fosh out of the boat great. Triton booklets for 2017 are not out yet and my dealer couldn`t tell me anything. I bought my boat off the lot. I wish I had ordered my boat but they said it wouuld take around 12 weeks. You can see some of my posts about my boat and my electronics on the page also. I will get you your answers when I get back from Drs office. I bought a Triton because the dealer is less then a mile from my house,
    Jeff Barnes
    krappiekrazy@yahoo.com

2018 Triton 18TX
    2018 Mercury 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-Lowrance HDS 9 TOUCHs (3 on KONG mounts, 1 on a modified PRECISION SONAR smart bracket.

6. Member
    Answered in order. If you need anything else just let me know.

Just goes in a 9 ft. door. May be 2 in on each side.
    Good
    Yes
    4 Persons
    I only used 6 ft rods so I can`t say.
    May get 2 - 7 ft rods.
    Yes
    Boat was on the lot. Came the way it was.
    Jackplate, Hyd steering, keelshield,spring lifts for rod boxes and center tackle storage. Get the trolling motor and electronics you want. (my can with junk trolling motor and electronics)
    Jeff Barnes
    krappiekrazy@yahoo.com

2018 Triton 18TX
    4-Lowrance HDS 9 TOUCHs (3 on KONG mounts, 1 on a modified PRECISION SONAR smart bracket.

7. Member
    Awesome information, thank you Jeff.
    If you wouldn't mind double checking the width of your garage door I'd appreciate it. Are you sure you have a 9' door and not 8'? Mine's 8' wide so I need to make sure the boat will fit. Based on the info on the web site the boat is 91" wide (7' 7").
    Thanks, Bob

8. Member
    House garage is 9 ft. doors and my shop is 10 ft doors. We had to store the in the house garage when we first got it. The trailer is wider than the boat. I will you that measurment next.
    Jeff Barnes
    krappiekrazy@yahoo.com

2018 Triton 18TX

9. Member
    The trailer the best I can tell is 8 ft. 2 in. wide. I have a 9 ft. door on the house and take away the trim you have about 8 ft 10 in. That leaves 4 in. on each side. We had to push it in by hand. My other shop has 10 ft. doors but my next shop will have 12 ft. doors. Anything else just ask.
    Jeff Barnes
    krappiekrazy@yahoo.com

2018 Triton 18TX

10. Member
    Ok, thanks.

11. Member
    Any other 179 owners out there to share your input on my questions?
    The one I'm most interested in is the width of the boat on the trailer. My garage door is 8' wide so I need a boat that will fit. I know Jeff said his trailer is 98" wide. I'm hoping there are other trailers available for the boat and some are narrower.
    Hate to special order anything due to the costs but I may just be out of luck.

12. Member
    Dude, your in the same situation as me. We moved to a new house with double garage doors (96") and my Stratos was too wide. I ended up with a Triton X17 aluminum. This week I'm actually trading up to a '17 Triton TX 18 (foot longer, bigger motor). All things considered I am pretty pleased with how it fishes and performs...and it was fairly easy on the wallet. Got bout 1/2" to 3/4" on each side when putting it in the garage.

13. Member
    satbob...i bought a 179trx last summer.....garage doors are 9ft., and it just squeezed in......the length with the swing tongue is 20 FEET 5 inches.....i opted for the wind guides, got the hook 5....wish i would've gotten at least the 7....put some gas shocks on the rod lockers, and the center storage box...that's easy enough to do......also put some bluewater LED'S on the boat, and trailer.....all that being said, i'm really happy with this boat.....you'll like it if you get one....

14. Member
    Trailer tires are the widest point, they measure 99 inches.

15. PECo
    You're out of luck with eight foot doors.

I bought a 2017 Triton 179 TrX because I have nine foot doors that give me only 104 inches of clearance without touching the flexible weatherstripping. I could probably squeeze 105 inches through. At its widest point, which is at the outside edges of the trailer tires, it's 98 inches. With a full six inches of clearance, I can back the boat into the garage with my Jeep.

16. Banned
    Man, yall are lucky to have deep garages. Mine is only 19' deep, BUT it's 26' wide with an 18' single door. Needless to say my 18XS sits in there at quite the angle. But it's very easy to get in and out. lol

17. @delta_fisher
    I have a 99 TR18 and I initially planned on storing gheboat on the side of my house. Widest I could make the gate was 8'.

Needless to say, trailer and boat absolutely wasn't even coming close to fitting in the garage.

i know it's not the same model as what you plan on purchasing, but it's close enough. I agree you'll need more space tif you want to store it indoors
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat