Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MK ULTREX INSTALL Z8

Just completed changing from a MK Fortrex 80/52 to a new Ultrex IPilot/Link on my 2014 Z8. As noted in previous posts, the recessed tray is somewhat bottle shaped. The rigid cable attached to the toe of the foot pedal adds an additional 2-3' length to the pedal and just barely clears the rear edge of the bow panel. This posed a problem with the Ultrex foot pedal since it is a little larger than the Fortrex foot pedal in width and length. I decided rather than raise the entire foot pedal to just elevate the toe end to allow the rigid cable on front to clear bow panel. So for anyone wishing to install any new TM models be sure foot pedal and recessed tray measurements are on your checklists...LOL Below are pictures of the Fortrex foot pedal and some of the Ultrex install. There is an older HDSI transducer temporarily mounted to verify TM operations and preferred routing on the water. The Heading Sensor is taped on bow panel just for a quick test but will probably be permanently mounted at later date.

Fortrex Pedal & Recessed Tray

Fortrex Pedal front view showing rigid cable attachment

Ultrex showing HDSI transducer. US2 is not being used.

Ultrex side view stowed

Temporary HDSI transducer routing

Transducer cable secured to mount

Ultrex foot pedal installed at angle with toe raised in front

Ultrex foot pedal toe raised with carpeted marine grade wood.

Showing temporary Heading Sensor location and rigid cable clearance on bow panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Questions I have, I'm assuming the heel is as far back as possible? And do you think a guy could cut a couple slots on the bottom of the vynal plate to in the "rigid cables" through it some to avoid blocking it?

3. Member
    The heel is as far back as it can go which is slightly forward of where the fortrex pedal fit. I couldn't see the drain hole before. As for cutting that bow panel, if you look in the 3rd picture from bottom, I don't think cutting would help as the forward lip of the foot pedal is slightly over the edge. I've also read that some are installing a new tray that would extend back farther similar to ez-troll but I didn't want to go to that expense.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

4. Member
    Man that sucks sure would be nice if they would have designed it a little different. I agree with exploring cutting the bow panel to make it sit flat. Your install looks great, but I would think it would be much nicer flat. Have you got a chance to use it yet?
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

I find this very interesting. I have a 591 that probably has the same TM well as the OP. I was aware that the Ultrex pedal won't fit so I was resigned to the fact that I was going to have to raise it up to level with the deck. I was planning on adding a new Helix 10 on a Dec-It mount (or similar) and may need to move the pedal back for clearance. I'm guessing that with the spot lock and constant features of the Ultrex, I won't have to have my foot constantly on the pedal.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Will be on the water tomorrow. Yeah I was kind of upset it didn't sit flat because I was led to believe when I ordered that it would essentially be same as fortrex footprint. But I'm not on the water everyday and can probably live with it. I'm lucky if I can average 2 days a week.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted to how it performs, so I have heard about "indexing" the foot pedal, could you index it so that the pedal is flat (or orientated how you like it) and then the base would be null and void that it is not perfectly flat?

8. Member
    Copied from Syncros's post in Ranger Forum:

I know people have commented on the Ultrex pedal fitting in their recess tray so I just measured my Fortrex and Ultrex pedals. Dimensions are as follows.

Ultrex:
    Width at the heel side is 8 5/8 inches.
    Widest point is 9 inches.
    Length is 12.5 inches.

Fortrex
    Width at the heel side is 7.5 inches.
    Widest point is 8 3/8 inches
    Length is 12 inches.

The screw holes to mount it in the tray are in the same place.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted to how it performs, so I have heard about "indexing" the foot pedal, could you index it so that the pedal is flat (or orientated how you like it) and then the base would be null and void that it is not perfectly flat?
    I may end up trying that after I try it out on the water if possible.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

10. Member
    Got a chance to try this monster out today and really amazing. I'm no TM expert by far but the ease of operation was quite different than the Fortrex. I didn't get a chance to try all modes. Spot-lock and Itrack functions seem great. I'm still leery of the software though because it still says ULTERRA on a couple of menus. The foot pedal worked great for me and probably won't even bother to index it. I can understand the issues for those that prefer it to be indexed flat but I am using a butt-seat all the time and really wasn't a problem with the toe end slightly raised. I would recommend good batteries with a large RC. I'm running group 31 Optimas and probably at the low end of recommended RC values which will be ok for my style of fishing as I probably won't use a lot of auto nav functions.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

This is GREAT stuff. I asked for pics in your other thread so THANK YOU for posting these. I'd mount it like you did, but would need to verify that the Dek-It Stacker mount that I just purchased on Black Friday will still clear.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

12. Member
    Does anyone know if the Z9 foot pedal tray is the same size as the z8 shown above?

13. Member
    Same size from what understand.

i have a Z9 and I'm having to deal with the foot pedal fitment issue. I have it raised right now but will probably go for the slight tilt mounting method. Awesome trolling motor. Been using it for a couple of weeks now and It truly is a beast.

14. Member
    How tall does the piece of wood need to be to raise the front of the pedel up enough to clear? Would it be enough to make it uncomfortable to use?

Good info. Thx.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarret View Post
    How tall does the piece of wood need to be to raise the front of the pedel up enough to clear? Would it be enough to make it uncomfortable to use?
    We used a piece of marine grade 2x4 to raise the toe end and it was not uncomfortable at that angle. If you stand all the time (no butt seat) in front then I could understand someone wanting it level with deck.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

17. Member
    ezfishn, I assume you replaced your Fortrex 80lb 52 inch with an Ultrex 80lb 52 inch. If you did, did the Ultrex 52 inch fit OK on your Z8. I have a Z8 and was thinking of getting an Ultrex 80lb 52 inch but was worried about it being to long causing the head to stick out from the side of the boat or sitting over my port rod box lid.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasfisher View Post
    ezfishn, I assume you replaced your Fortrex 80lb 52 inch with an Ultrex 80lb 52 inch. If you did, did the Ultrex 52 inch fit OK on your Z8. I have a Z8 and was thinking of getting an Ultrex 80lb 52 inch but was worried about it being to long causing the head to stick out from the side of the boat or sitting over my port rod box lid.
    Answered in other post but shouldn't be a problem with the rod locker.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Quote Originally Posted by texasfisher View Post
    Tex, I have a '06 591, which is essentially an early Z-7, so very similar. I bought the 52" Ultrex only because I could get it now. I was skeptical that I would like it. Have fished with it twice now and I have to say it works just fine. I worried that it would be too deep to fish shallow but it is pretty easy (even for this old fat boy) to raise and lower.

The only complaint I had was when we were fishing extremely shallow, I had the TM raised up as far as I can and the head was really in the way. Once I even gave it a good whack with my favorite Cumara ....I was very surprised that I didn't break the rod.

One thing I did differently with mounting the pedal. I just couldn't make everything fit with trying to put the pedal partially in the well. I made a platform and filled the well and brought the pedal up to deck level. I'm sure as soon as spring fishing is over, I'll tear into it and install a bigger TM foot pedal well.

As you can see the motor doesn't interfere with the rod locker. However, the support post does come down right where I keep rods while fishing. It comes down with quite a force and defiantly do damage to any rod or toe that was under it when it comes down.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

20. Member
    True...even with the Fortrex had to be careful placing rods down on that side because of the stabilizer. Unless fishing a tournament I usually only carry 2 rods on that side.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast