Ideas for new boat/setup

Building a 18/62 hull out of .125 set up like a bass boat. Decked over, dual console, 16 inch sides, with welded 1-1/2 inch wide spray rails on the sides for more lift, motor is going to be a new 115 pro xs 4 stroke on a 8" hydraulic jack plate. Any tips or trick while building or what would you add to your boat. Ideas on whether I should go with the larger gearcase ( command thrust) to utilize the large prop selection for mercury v-6 outboards or do you think the standard case will perform better. The hull will be like a mod v in front and flat in rear. The running surface will be like that of a flat boat with the capability of taking a few waves with the vee front. This boat will be used in the rivers around where I live and also in the marsh down south. 24 gallon fuel tank already purchased for the boat.

Doyou have a estimated weight on the hull when you're done. If so and it's over 1200 pounds dry then I would go with the larger gearcase command thrust.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    Probably be real close to 1200

I do hope you take lots of pictures and videos along the build. Sounds very interesting to build one yourself. Keep a running true log of cost of parts and hours you actually spend working on your build would be nice to get a close 'real world' cost of building one for us too.

What consoles are you going to use? You could even buy a boat that has been totaled in some way and get lots of parts to build into yours I suppose. Really interesting.

Do you have a list of already picked out parts your building with? Care to post them?

I would go with the Command Thrust, sounds like you get more prop choices with a bigger bite.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

5. Member
    I've ordered the materials for the build so far, will put together a list of it later today and post it. So far it looks as if materials are going to end up around 2500. I will take pics and post along the way. I fully expect to complete this boat to finished product and stay at or under 16k with 2 8ft power poles

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboots View Post
    I've ordered the materials for the build so far, will put together a list of it later today and post it. So far it looks as if materials are going to end up around 2500. I will take pics and post along the way. I fully expect to complete this boat to finished product and stay at or under 16k with 2 8ft power poles
    This will be interesting. If you are good at fit and finish you will have something. Taking a little time and doing something right goes a long way in the end. Excited to watch this build grow!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

7. Member
    Wanna build one for me? :) definitely post some pics and thoughts along the way. Semi-v hull?

8. Member
    Small gear case will be just fine, especially on a flat back. 20" Laser II.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Banned
    Is it going to be a plate boat? or do you have access to a big brake and roller.?

10. Member
    All brake and roller, I have access to plenty of large brakes, shears, rollers,etc. hull will be one piece,with welds at transom and along mod vee front. While waiting on materials to be shipped I'm playing with cardboard for the consoles. Tried the stroker look, but can't get enough room for flush mounting of 9 or 12 lowrance. Probably be more Bullet like in the consoles.

11. Member
    Contemplating adding a tunnel. Opinions? Low water pickup would only be 600 from bobs. , and would allow me to run motor a lot higher and maintain water pressure, and probably swing a slightly larger prop.

12. Member
    Con someone post some pictures for me? Can't get it to work from my phone. Boat is complete except paint and some wiring. Been on a turnaround lately so time to post has been limited

13. Member
    This has potential to be the best thread since original tin's big thread. Maybe even better.

14. Member
    Hull came out to 840 lbs dry, lighter than expected, and I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a new 150 4stroke, currently working on props and setup along with break in, but it's fast!